PDA

View Full Version : Java Security Settings

AerBabe
16th May 2003, 00:01
I've been trying to log in remotely to my departmental server... to no avail. It seems my Java Applet Security Settings are to blame. I've looked under 'Internet Options' customising, where there's something about 'Scription of Java Applets', but it doesn't seem to make any difference what is selected. Nor does having all my security settings set at 'low'.

I'm running Windows XP, IE 6.

Can anyone help? :bored:

CBLong
16th May 2003, 01:04
Hi Aerbabe,

I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I have done a bit of Java programming, and I think you just can't fix this - and it's a feature, not a bug, as they say...

Java, and particularly applets, were designed with a very strong security model, to allay people's fears of Java viruses etc. Because of this, an applet is only allowed to commnuicate with the 'host' from which it was itself physically loaded, or possibly also with other hosts on the same network.

Therefore, if you have an applet stored locally on your machine, it might work fine when connected directly to your work intranet, but will correctly refuse to connect over the internet to the same machine, because that machine is now 'foreign' and potentially hostile (and of course the remote machine also doesn't want any old applet connecting to it, either).

Good luck though, I'm probably wrong, it's happened before...

:)

cbl.

AerBabe
16th May 2003, 18:38
I'm running Zone Alarm, but even if I turn it off I still get the same message about Java security settings. :(

Rugz
16th May 2003, 19:22
Have had similar issues with IE6 which were all solved by installing the latest service pack (SP1).

Don't know if that'll help, but perhaps woth a try.