PDA

View Full Version : North South divide paradox

Windy Militant
14th May 2003, 21:07
I'm confused I've just heard on the radio That People from Oop North are in real terms richer than those Darn Sarf. Apparently the doughty Northeners have more disposable income than the Sloanes because they have a lower cost of living!
So what I can't understand is if the folks down South are so hard up and the folks up North are so flush why aren't they expanding Leeds Bradford instead of Heathrow? :confused:

longarm
14th May 2003, 22:11
Because it's so nice we don't have to go on holiday, and because we're so rich we don't have to go off to work and spend our lives on business trips !

Windy Militant
14th May 2003, 22:29
Ah I think I've seen the light. So what you mean is that while the folks from the North are spending their hard earned brass. The Southerners are all sneaking their mistress......er I mean personal assistants off on the jolly old expense account which after being suitably massaged (The account that is) makes them look as poor as church mice. ;)

newswatcher
14th May 2003, 22:32
You should be OK WM, North Wiltshire is at #14 in the chart!

Windy Militant
14th May 2003, 22:47
Only in my dreams as they say. Mind you there's another paradox recently one of the local villages got onto the poverty list. which makes the mind boggle:\

Binoculars
14th May 2003, 22:53
WM seems to be saying something here. Sounds to my uneducated ears a bit like... (strains to hear)..... "eat shit, suckers" or something like that?

Perhaps the figures quoted related to an average? Hey, just a thought...

tony draper
14th May 2003, 22:59
Oh dear, we gonna have thousands of shandy sipping southern fops mincing all over the region now.
;)

Binoculars
14th May 2003, 23:03
That's cafe latte, Drapes, ya gotta get used to the lingo.

And no, don't ask me how you pronounce it, I drink Nescafe.

Windy Militant
14th May 2003, 23:04
Actually I started this as a bit of a of poke at the people that make up these ridiculous statistics.
But It seems to have rubbed a raw nerve.

Apparently according to Barnardos 28% of kids in Trowbridge and 25% of kids in Swindon are living below the poverty line.

Though most 12 year olds round my way seem to have more money to burn than I do. Thinks must get a paper round;)

Biggles Flies Undone
14th May 2003, 23:09
It has been the same for a very long time now.

Property up North has been a lot cheaper than that down South by a much bigger margin than average salaries and the cost of living.

Hence Northerners have more disposable income and a better quality of life (considering the lovely countryside, generally, and the great chippies).

The problem occurs when a Northerner wants to move South and realises how bloody expensive is. The upside for Southerners is that property prices hurt, but go up a lot faster than those up North.

You pay your money and make your choice. I live down South and face a tough slog until I downsize, when it gets easier. Right choice? Stuffed if I know!

Send Clowns
14th May 2003, 23:21
Of course there are kids living below the poverty line, WM. The poverty line is defined such that there are always people below it, and that the better the economy the more people are below. Clever system invented by the social welfare industry to keep its own workers above the poverty line.

under_exposed
14th May 2003, 23:23
Windy Militant, have you not been to Trowbridge recently ? With all the industries gone the figure is easy to believe.

Chaffers
14th May 2003, 23:47
Tis all true Biggles. My professional mates who live down south can barely afford to rent a shitehole, though they hope that their salaries rocket up to the extent that they can buy a place. You certainly wouldnt call them well off.

Cushy life up norf on a professional salary, sure they don't necessarily rocket up but you don't pay 3.80 for a feckin beer or 900 a month for a rat infested shithole. You also end up with a nice beer belly rather than a pair of man-breasts and an effeminate accent. :)

Biggles Flies Undone
15th May 2003, 00:01
3.80 a pint Chaffers? You must know some interesting places darn sarf mate ;)

Wetherspoons have their annual beer fest on at the moment - up at Liverpool Street there are some great ales on offer at 1.89 a pint. At least that's what someone just told me... I wasn't there at lunchtime - honest ;)

Windy Militant
15th May 2003, 00:09
Under Exposed,
Can't say I've to Trowbridge lately but I can believe it's grim. There's places around your neck of the woods that have taken a beating in the last few years with the cigarete factories closing down and all.
Back in the area of Wales where I grew up things are much the same, what's worse is that all the places that used to train people are now gone so the Kids have even less chance to make something of themselves.
Its a bit of a catch 22 you can't get a job where you can afford to live, but you can't afford to live where you can get a job:\

tony draper
15th May 2003, 00:10
I can remember when beer was 1/11p a pint,and thats in old munny, with 3.80 yer could stay shit faced for three days.

Chaffers
15th May 2003, 00:10
I think they are 1.19 or 1.29 up here Biggles. :)

Biggles Flies Undone
15th May 2003, 00:15
Bears out my point, Chaffers - standard goods are cheaper up North. Whenever we used to follow the RAC rally around the UK we used to marvel at how cheap the ale was up North, and the quality of the fish & chips and the scenery.

There's a lot to be said for the Northern way of life - I might tease you, but I'd never knock it.

Chaffers
15th May 2003, 00:23
Thinking about moving darn sarf for a while meself Biggles, though I will be contractually obliged to complain about the beer. :)

Lets all just be glad we arn't scousers. :)

Biggles Flies Undone
15th May 2003, 00:26
Ooooops - don't mention the 'S' word, Chaffers - I did once but I think Danny let me get away with it!

under_exposed
15th May 2003, 00:27
Windy, around here we have new businesses comming in. In trowbridge they have demolished the entire brewery and replaced it with houses.

Send Clowns
15th May 2003, 00:29
Yes Chaffers, but you have to live in Manchester. Would you really pay 1.19 for Boddingtons? :yuk:

Chaffers
15th May 2003, 00:32
'Tis sadly true SC, the beer from Manchester really isn't all that fantastic. Luckily we are close enough to Yorkshire to get the genuine article in. Yorkshiremen may all be sheepshagging bastards but they make the finest beer in the world.

Send Clowns
15th May 2003, 00:36
Well, they do a fine pint down here in Hampshire too, just under a mile from where I am currently lodging ;) However you are right, despite them being on the wrong side of the Great Divide (known elsewhere as the Penines) they do brew a decent pint in Masham and in Tadcaster (Samuel's, not his cousin John's).

Eric
15th May 2003, 00:40
Chaffs, the beer from Manchester really isn't all that fantastic. :confused:

True, Boddies has passed its best, but we don't do too bad, with Holts, Hydes, Robbies, anything you like from the Marble Arch and the Beer House.

Sam Smith's from Taddy is fine, but I know which side of the Pennines I'm staying!

(The Wooster will soon be along shortly to back me up here I'm sure!)

Chaffers
15th May 2003, 00:47
The Marble arch and the Beer House are utterly fantastic, though your average Holt's pub is pretty naff and Robinson's isn't bad.

Still not close to being a patch on Theakston's I'm afraid. :(

Blacksheep
15th May 2003, 13:12
But Manchester and Yorkshire ARE down south :confused:

except for South Yorkshire, which is somewhere in France... :E

Through difficulties to the cinema

Send Clowns
15th May 2003, 20:05
Just as I mention good beer from Masham, Black Sheep appears :p

Shaggy Sheep Driver
15th May 2003, 20:13
JHB - Jeffrey Hudson Bitter - won the 'best beer of all categories' at CAMERA last year. Absolutely superb pint, very pale and hoppy like Boddingtons used to be before it was completely bastardised for the mass market.

JHB is brewed in Oakham, I believe. And I was drinking it last year in the Lower Red in St Albans for 1.80 a pint. My local (in Cheshire) charges 1.90 for crap Greenhall Whitleys.

SSD