PDA

View Full Version : Cessna Grand Caravan cg question

soares
14th May 2003, 19:22
Hi,

I was wondering since we are aquiring a Grand Caravan if you Caravan drivers could help me out.

Any problems/dificulties with Caravan loading of small freight?

best regards,

Soares

alki
15th May 2003, 03:02
CE-208B has a vast C.G. range, you have to work at it to get out of C.G. They come with a simple to use w&b plotter.

AfricanSkies
16th May 2003, 03:38
Depends on how much the small cargo weighs......a cubic foot of gold weighs 1000kg! But to answer your question, nnnno perblimo...she's well within with full tanks and no payload.

skottie
16th May 2003, 16:13
Hi there, I have been flying Vans for a cargo company for over two years now.It is a great ship and can really lift a load.Our freight is weighed correctly and then loaded with the heavy goods near the front section.Many times we are taking off at Max (8750 lbs) and she fly's like an angel.A good check to see if it has been loaded correctly is to pull down on the tail stand, if the nose feels light or lift's off the ground then the C of G is no good and needs to be re-loaded.

As for her power, it is possible to be at max take-off weight, OAT +35 deg C at a field +- 2000 feet ASL and she goes up with no worries.

Conclusion....A great cargo lifter as well as a pax pleasure.

PS:make sure the cargo is well straped in and will not move in flight. Hope this helps...need any more,let me know!:ok:

Agaricus bisporus
17th May 2003, 08:14
This topic reminds me of my intro to Van flying in Africa.

Loading theorey and practice according to the nut who did my "check ride" was, "Why the hell do you want to weigh cargo? If you can shut the doors it will fly. If the tail scrapes, take some off!"

Apparently that was the way they did it in Braindead, Idaho or wherever it was he came from.

It is easy to run a series of c of g computations for fuel full & empty, and freight up to MTOW from the front spread evenly & going ever further aft. I seem to remember that if loading was of an even density and started as far fwd as the pilots seats allowed then you could not get out of limits before you hit MTOW or bulked out. But whatever you carry, small, large, heavy or light make damn sure its ALWAYS netted or tied down! Shifting cargo will kill you in an instant, either by squashing you if you come to an abrupt stop, or by causing that abrupt stop as it all slides into the tail & you hammerhead in...

Great toy, wish I still had one to play with!

soares
17th May 2003, 17:26
Thanks guys.....

Your answers helped us get a more general idea of the Caravanīs possibilities.

By the way any of you have any recommendations regarding maintenance problems?

Thanks,

Soares