PDA

View Full Version : Great Little invention

SLF 999
13th May 2003, 22:38
Recently I bought a 32Mb mobile disk, (those things that look like pens with a USB connector at one end), I have to say I would recommend them as they are great for downloading data / software and carting it about the place without any hassle, just plug it in to the PC and you have a removable hard drive on the pc to load to or from.

Great invention and at £18 for 32 Mb I think good value, now I wish I had bought the 64Mb one at £25 !

Anyone else have little gizmos that they find invaluable?

amanoffewwords
13th May 2003, 22:57
Funny, I just bought a 64Mb Belkin flash drive - wish I had 128Mb...! From my limited research Belkin seemed to be the best - if only because it's got a 3 year warranty.

That and my Gerber (http://www.gerberblades.com/) and I'm sorted!

18-Wheeler
16th May 2003, 10:07
I have a 128meg Compact Flash card in my digital camera, and I can pull it out of the camera and use it in a little USB adaptor to turn it into a 128meg flash-drive thingy.
Much cheaper and I get dual use from the card.

Kotare
19th May 2003, 08:32
Bought a 256 Meg Speed Drive for about 80 pounds UK. Came with a lead as well so you can either plug it straight into the USB port on the computer, or if its a bit tight, plug in the lead and then plug the drive into the lead. Its a great bit of kit - I can truck my university assignments around with me and use pretty much any machine with M$ Word on it. Understand you can get up to a gig in them now.
Cheers

OVERTALK
19th May 2003, 21:19
18 Wheeler

What brand, model, make etc of this magic USB Adapter?

newswatcher
19th May 2003, 21:30
SLF999, I think you missed my earlier posting:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83491

Still proving excellent value!:D :ok:

Kotare
20th May 2003, 09:35
We call them memory sticks and there are a number of different types with different capacities. Mine is called a "Speed Drive" and the docket says I paid about 70 UK pounds for 256Megs - not the 80 I said earlier. They are really good/easy to use and both Win98 and XP Pro have no problem with them. You just need a USB port.

18-Wheeler
20th May 2003, 17:37
What brand, model, make etc of this magic USB Adapter?

I just had a look at it, and it doesn't have any brand names on it, it's just a cheapy-mass produced thing.
I think it was a little over US$10 or so.

acpo
22nd May 2003, 22:29
I've just bought one of these USB card readers (for Memory Sticks, but they are available for all types of cards) it only cost £9.99 from PC World. Its a Jenoptik Jenreader - I've never heard of this make but it seems to work just fine.