PDA

View Full Version : Kenya Airways

Taildragger67
13th May 2003, 21:26
Hi,

Anyone got any comments re Kenya Airways?

Just asking as a friend is thinking of going to NBO & KQ are the best fare.

Thanks

PAXboy
14th May 2003, 04:15
I have not travelled with them. No reason other than the question has never arised. I suggest that you ask this question in the forum: African Aviation which is grouped with other geographical forums. The folks in there are mainly based in South Africa but operate across the continent and someone will know something!

smallfry
14th May 2003, 16:13
Absolutely nothing wrong with them. Linked to KLM and NWA, training and recurrency done in London (by Midland or BA I believe) New aircraft, expanding nicely thank you. Have just got or will soon be taking delivery of their 777's.
No hesitation to recommend them.

Gouabafla
14th May 2003, 18:31
From the pax point of view, KQ are no worse than any other airline and in terms of friendly service are better than many. Flying from the UK they have the advantage over BA of flying from LHR rather than LGW (that's not an advantage if you live near Gatwick, I guess).

I don't suppose airline has a perfect record and KQ did lose an aircraft in 2000 near Abidjan. I remember reading at the time that this was their first accident.

I've flown KQ numerous times both from West Africa and from Europe and wouldn't hesitate to do so again. No - they are not paying me for this - but I wouldn't mind a few more miles on my flying dutchman account if anyone is listening.

chippy63
15th May 2003, 19:23
BA's Nairobi flights actually leave from T4 at LHR, not from Gatwick.

Hand Solo
16th May 2003, 01:09
BA's Nairobi flight won't be leaving at all for the time being, nor will any other UK operators be flying to Kenya until the government lifts its ban! See Rumours and News for more!:eek:

Gouabafla
16th May 2003, 19:27
BA's Nairobi flights actually leave from T4 at LHR, not from Gatwick.

- Shows how long it is since I flew BA to Nairobi! They went from Gatwick last time I took them. Sorry for the misinformation.

Let's hope that BA can start flying to Nairobi soon.

answer=42
22nd May 2003, 03:07
Kenya Airways are fine.

Nairobi Airport, although much improved, can be a little tricky in terms of 'where's my plane', 'how do I get to it' and similar questions. The airlines (and BA are good at this) help the uninitiated traveller through the procedures.

Haven't flow there since new govt. / current security crisis but I've connected Kenya Airways flights quite a few times and my baggage has always been there on arrival.

answer=42

Taildragger67
27th May 2003, 20:37
Thanks all

Pretty moot point now anyway.

My own experience into NBO - once came up from JNB - was pretty well organised in the pattern but then had to laugh in the baggage hall when it appeared someone had 'souvenired' the TV displays telling punters which belt for their bags!!

Oh, and the refrigerators available for sale in the arrivals duty free...