PDA

View Full Version : Claire Short

tony draper
13th May 2003, 20:41
Do you think Mz Short is a fat loud mouthed, self seeking, spiteful, ambitious, back stabbing, touchy feely tree huggy, thwarted,yarping luuvie phoney.
Or is she a nice lady.
:rolleyes:

newswatcher
13th May 2003, 20:54
I would have thought that it would have been more in her interests to stay IN the Cabinet, although most of today's commentators seem to think that a summer re-shuffle would have seen her departure anyway.

Amomg the "highlights" of her life - she was born in Crossmaglen, and later made no secret of wanting British troops out of N. Ireland; she gave away her son for adoption when 19 and a student and then milked the publicity for all it was worth, when making a well-publicised reunion with him in 1996; she encouraged Alex Lyon to leave his wife and marry her.

Certainly looks like she will make a nuisance of herself from the back-benches!!

Biggles Flies Undone
13th May 2003, 20:59
I think she's a pain in the posterior and her voice gives me the creeps - but she did make some very valid points in her resignation speech!

Chaffers
13th May 2003, 21:00
I think the wallpaper has more influence on the executive's decisions than all the backbenchers combined.

DuckDodgers
13th May 2003, 21:18
She was entirely correct about Blair. If we do not make policy decisions based on consensus of cabinet but merely that of one man then where does this leave us? Another two bit dictatorship all be it an elected one perhaps. Consensus of cabinet is at the very core of the Westminster model of government, it would appear even this historical and important principle is easily discarded by 'the devil in disguise.'

George Dicer
13th May 2003, 23:15
Duck Dodgers is totally correct, Blair seems to have become some sort of dictator. But Drapes, you must remember, Politics is the dirtiest game in town, whether you are fat or a tree hugger, it makes no difference. Yes, back stabbing is part of it, and how can you ever describe a politician as being "nice". An oxymoron if ever I heard one.

tony draper
13th May 2003, 23:25
One did not wish to appear biased Mr Dicer.
:rolleyes:

witchdoctor
14th May 2003, 00:27
She's got a face like a robber's dog, so hope she bit Blair good and hard and left a nice big, fat juicy present right in the middle of his desk!:mad:

Euggh! There's an image to conjure with.:yuk:

timmcat
14th May 2003, 00:39
oops, thought I'd clicked on the Mad Cow thread.

Ah, perhaps I did.

Send Clowns
14th May 2003, 02:06
It is very uncomfortable to be in agreement with Clare Short! She is an unpleasant, nasty, small-minded creature. However I think she would disagree with my opinion on how government policy must change, so I can take comfort from that.

Interesting comment in the Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2003/05/13/dl1301.xml&sSheet=/news/2003/05/13/ixnewstop.html) about the issue. It is not an attack from a right-wing perspective, but a comment on her personally and her recent behaviour and motives, without reference to political colour.

Miserlou
14th May 2003, 02:16
Aren't those qualities true of all politicians?

Loki
14th May 2003, 02:23
My only complaint is that she did not go earlier when she first indicated that she would.