View Full Version : Triple Bombing in Riyadh

mutt
13th May 2003, 11:07
Saudi triple bomb horror
A TRIPLE bomb attack on Westerners’ residential compounds in the Saudi Arabian capital of Riyadh claimed “many victims” last night.

The explosions came just hours before U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell was due to arrive in the city.

One blast was caused by a black Chevrolet car — packed with explosives — crashing into a compound in the east of Riyadh.

A witness said: “We heard a huge noise and we saw ambulances coming and gathering many victims.”

There were reports of gunfire moments before the car exploded.

Diplomatic sources in the Jordanian capital, Amman, where Powell spent last night, said most of the residents of the compounds were Americans. Many Britons also live there.

Authorities would not confirm casualty figures, and it was not clear if Mr Powell’s visit would go ahead.

The attacked compounds were named as Cordoval, Gedawal and the Hamra.

Mutt.

4HolerPoler
13th May 2003, 11:52
Very sad. But life will go on. Things are going to be a little quiet in Riyadh now I suspect. Most of the folk that left just prior to the war have just got back; this will most probably lead to another mass exodus.

Our thoughts are with those who have lost a friend or relative and to those injured or traumatized by the event.

4HP

homesick rae
13th May 2003, 12:09
sad so sad...

thoughts out to all...

we are with you and thinking about you...

hr

newswatcher
13th May 2003, 15:42
Compounds at Gharnata, Ishbiliya and Cordoba areas northeast of Riyadh.

http://www.gulfnews.com/Articles/opinion.asp?ArticleID=87365

Captain Sand Dune
13th May 2003, 20:00
One of the compounds was Al-Hamrah, right next door to the British school!:eek: Last I heard all the BAE employees and dependants were confined to their compounds UFN. Too much of that wonderful Saudi hospitality can be bad for you I guess:}
The beginning of the end is well under way.

GAGing in Bahrain
13th May 2003, 20:02
Little bird in Riyadh tells me that they first hit the main gate at Jadawel Compound by ramming them, then procedded to shoot the unarmed guards. After breaching the main gate they procedded to the closest housing (compound workers accomidations) and shot at the people inside while others drove a bomb laden vehicle inside the compound before setting it off. Jadawel is/was one of the most expensive compounds in Riyadh to live in. Home to very high-ups in the expat community. :ouch:

newswatcher
13th May 2003, 20:59
Looks like it's proving to be much worse than original estimates. News sources now quoting up to 50 fatalities.

Midnight Mike
13th May 2003, 21:46
Take care of yourselves and watch your 6, I hope that this was an isolated event. My prayers go out to everyone,

Conky Joe
13th May 2003, 23:02
As a Saudi resident until relatively recently my heart goes out to everyone affected - particularly our friends on Al Hamra compound with two little girls that I have just heard are unharmed.

Captain Sand Dune - respectfully - what is your beef with Saudi? 'The beginning of the end ...' is a common refrain in your posts and as for 'too much Saudi hospitality can be bad for you ...' - I just feel sorry that you clearly have no experience of the genuine generous Saudi hospitality that can be extended to foreigners.

Terrorists may claim nationality of the country in whose name they murder but they, at least in this instance, do not act with their blessing. If you had met even one true Saudi you would know this.

CJ

Flying Boat
14th May 2003, 01:12
I agree with you.

As another recent ex-expat (7.5years in RUH) I met hundreds of genuinely nice and helpful Saudi people. In fact Britain would be a better place if it adopted one or two of the basic rules from over there. No I'm not a Muslim.

However my previous work existence meant I also would meet many of the poorer Saudis & go places where many of the Richer/better paid expats would never go.
This was bubbling over a year ago, the attack on Iraq gave them the excuse to attack.
I knew of the undercurrent of hate towards 'American Imperialism' was strong but in certain areas it surprised me how deeply it was felt. I was a warden for the British Embassy.

The reported ramming of the doors in Jadawel compound (a beautiful but grossly overpriced location, filled with American top executives) was no surprise as it was a technique used by the Muttawa during the Xmas/New Year period of 1999/2000 to raid where there were suspected parties.

I believe if the Saudi Government wanted to stamp out religeous fanatical terrorism they could, just by stopping the Muttawa & compulsory prayers for all Muslims.

Most normal Arabs want a quiet, normal, peaceful life.
Not religeous fanaticism.

My thoughts & prayers go out to the victims, their families and especially the expats still left in the Kingdom.

Given the chance I will go back to Saudi, one day when it is more calm.
:sad:

WhatsaLizad?
14th May 2003, 01:17
Terrorists may claim nationality of the country in whose name they murder but they, at least in this instance, do not act with their blessing. If you had met even one true Saudi you would know this.

Conky Joe,

I suppose the average number of new babies named "Osama" in SA went down after 9/11, and the legless preacher who had a tea party with Bin Laden in 10/2001 was shunned by his congregation.

I believe you can find good people in every part of the world. the problem is that in some places, duplicitous behavior can fool some into believing they are respected as equals.

A Saudi can emigrate to my country and practice his religion freely, become a citizen, and hold elected office up to the presidency. Ask your Saudi buds if they will let me do the same in their country.

Captain Sand Dune
14th May 2003, 07:55
WhatsaLizad? you beat me to it.
Conky Joe, that's basically my beef matey. Yes, I too was a resident in Saudi - Riyadh in particular - until recently . Tell me, why did you leave CJ? I don't think it was too hard to see this sort of stuff happening 12 months ago, that's why I left.
I suspect you worked WITH Saudis and not FOR them - a world of difference pal.

Conky Joe
14th May 2003, 19:54
Captain Sand Dune / WhatsaLizad

You're right about me not working for them but that was presumably your choice and you were rewarded for it. Certainly, working with or for them could be maddening in the extreme for numerous reasons but that's a global problem - it's not only thobe wearers that can be irritating little shi*ts and all the other things they are accused of.

I came across the attitude of 'we let them do what we like in our country but they don't in theirs ergo we're better than them' more times than I heard the call to prayer and I was always completely amazed by the arrogance of the spouter!! Sure it's annoying but really so bl**dy what - you may do all sorts of things in your own house that you wouldn't in a friend's - do you dislike them for it, do you condemn them for it, are you better than them because of your differeing attitudes?? I'm not completely holier than thou, the place and the people drove me nuts on occasions but so does UK!! And, there are a few things in that country that I WISH we did in the more 'civilised' world eg chopping the hands off thieving little gits!

As for thinking 12 months ago this was imminent - I think many expats that we knew when we were there are surprised it has actually taken this long for it to spiral so viciously. Before 9/11 but particularly afterwards my family and I were aware that, essentially, a Western presence was unwanted - I don't know one Saudi that would condone what has been done but those same Saudis would much prefer a country free from Western control. (Don't even start the 'if we weren't there they'd fall to bits' argument!)

And, FYI, we left, sadly, in December 2001 as our contract was not renewed - a victim of Saudization!!!!!! At least you're in Oz now Capt SD - some aren't quite so lucky!

CJ

FFFlyer
16th May 2003, 15:29
I wonder if Ghazi Algosaibi (ex-KSA ambassador to London) is now going to write a poem praising suicide bombers as martyrs who "died to honour God's word", and if the London-based al-Hayatas is going to publish it on the front page.

He did this previously in praise of Palestinian Ayat Akhras, a 16-year-old girl who blew herself up outside a supermarket in Jerusalem and killed two Israelis.

What you sow one day you reap.....