PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Airport landing fees

Snowballs
13th May 2003, 06:27
As reported on ABC, this sounds rather inequitable and unjustly favours operators of large heavy aircraft.

Virgin upset over proposed fee changes

The owners of Sydney Airport and airline Virgin Blue are once again at odds, this time over proposed fee changes.
The airline has referred the matter to the National Competition Council alleging that the new fee structure is unjust and anti-competitive.
Virgin Blue says from July 1 the owners of Sydney Airport plan to charge a landing fee per passenger rather than by aircraft weight, which the airline says will cost it millions of dollars more per year.
Virgin Blue owner Sir Richard Branson says relations between it and Sydney airport are once again strained.
"They're just actually attempting to do something where they're going to change things around, so we're going to get stung quite badly again and we are very much hoping that we can get the regulator to regulate the airport," he said.
:(

BabyMetroBoy
13th May 2003, 13:28
Oh for crying out loud (or should that be over spilt milk). Why does VB always whinge about these things whenever they don't get their own way? It seems like a case of baby blues, or the younger sibling competing for attention against the older sibling syndrome. Just get on with it please. :{

Snowballs
13th May 2003, 13:55
BabyMetroBoy you sound rather sensitive so I guess you must be QF or a reject from VB. A 737 or regional aircraft certainly does not need metre thick concrete or 4000m runways and does comparatively little damage to facilities compared to heavy aircraft and should be taxed appropriately plus a per passenger component if that is seen as equitable.
The likes of the old dinosaur Ansett and TAA killed of the operation of smaller aircraft like the F27/F50 etc by costing their service charges based on large aircraft. Sydney airport is heading the same way.
If it helps, I am neither VB or QF
:=

High Altitude
13th May 2003, 14:08
Tell me why aren't the other airlines whinging??? They bloody well should be. Typical of Australian airports since privatisation more costs more costs and more costs and for what???????? No better service...

If you think Sydney is bad look at the rest of Australia! There have been enough threads about this previously.

Take GOVE, not the operators fault but they will have to increase fees. Why? Due to new airport requirements they need to upgrade facilities whuch they are doing in 7 months. Unfortunatley security upgrade must happen now! This means they must blow $70k on a 7 month temporary structure??? Which obviously they will have to pass on.

Airports are probably one of the best aviation assets to own! We gotta use em!!! Bring on the spruce goose...

Rabbit
13th May 2003, 15:34
Most of the big operators use large aircraft into SYD unlike VB with small max seated aircraft. I don't know the comparitive calculation but may I suggest that maybe there is a significant reduction in cost for the larger aircraft if a charge per pax in introduced.

Question: is the charge to be based on actual pax carried or number of seats installed in the aircraft?

Have a nice day

farrari
14th May 2003, 15:22
What is happening is this , since the Government sold Sydney airport to Macquarie bank they have to make a good return for themselves and their share holders , thus fees are going up to make this happen. It was great in the old days when the Government owned and paided the costs, however governments need cash to spend on what they think the general public wants(actually their vouters) thus they sell of what is not required for votes and wala! Unfortunately for pilots they are selling assets we need and therefore it costs us more.:mad: