PDA

View Full Version : Football season's over, is it?

Hilico
13th May 2003, 06:39
The last, final whistle blows. Fans, depending on their enthusiasms, dance with joy or weep with despair. Goal posts are dismantled, repainted white to cover the many muddy scuff marks, and stored carefully; nets referred to skilled repairers. Motson embarks on his break in the sun and game officials retire to study for their next exam.

Dream on. Football season's over? How many days until the next match? And the one after that and the one after that? These days it just never bl00dy stops. The terrestrial channels won't hesitate to [email protected] all over their own schedules to show some "vital" European quarter final featuring two teams whose names cannot be pronounced. Or two English teams playing for some reason or other. Or just no reason. It must be making money for somebody, and "everybody" wants to watch, so they play. And they broadcast. And they broadcast. And they broadcast....I've had much, much more than enough.

I'm going to sell a range of T-shirts. They'll have slogans on like "Stamp Out Football", "Stop the Bloody Football" and "It only takes one dumb animal to make a pig's bladder but 22 to play with it".

LordGrumpy
13th May 2003, 06:57
Let the summer resound to other sports, croquet for example.
Opened a news rag today, no real news lots of cheap advertising for junk tv: which leads me toward Dragon boat racing.
Will that be at Henley.........
Will greatest Thames water sport occaision get press mention? no but F- -tb -ll not get forgotten.

As Lady G says. Too much of one and naut of the other.

Noah Zark.
13th May 2003, 07:37
Hilico,
So you don't like football, then? Neither do I. It makes me :yuk:
Well said. Power to your elbow.

Crepello
13th May 2003, 10:04
Errrmmm, I can't let this one go uncommented. So:

What exactly, gentlemen, is your complaint? Football hardly receives saturation coverage on UK terrestrial TV. Those that want it have to pay for the privelege (which I see as a good thing, gives me an excuse to watch with mates in the bar).

I could question why Joe Involuntary-Licence-Payer is submitted to two weeks of Wimbledon pap, year in, year out, to the detriment of quality television (err, The Simpsons and Star Trek, okay I retract :) ). I could also question why the British Rally receives scant airtime - ditto ladies' mud wresting - but my point is that decent football's hardly "in your face". And if you read quality papers, you get quality news. ;)

I'd admit that the upper eschaelons of footie are being stretched thinly, but consider the alternative: Over 'ere, there's no football all through the winter - not on boxing day, not on new year's day, not even on your birthday, if you're born between mid-December and mid-February. Result: We have to talk about normal stuff. Bah!

BRL
13th May 2003, 15:32
Just a quick comment 'cos I am off to bed after a crap night shift and couldn't let this go. When there is a european game on with 2 teams that you can't pronounce itv/the beeb rely on a british team getting all the way through to the final. When teams don't go all the way or get knocked out halfway through then they have to still show the game as its been schedualed in for months. Besides, they only [email protected] over eastenders or corrie, whats the big deal with that.!!!!!!!!! :D

Hilico
13th May 2003, 16:04
When they displace "The Great Escape" at Christmas time to show Cricket highlights...when Summertime Special is held over because of the Bobsleighing...when they show competition aerobatics at all...I'll be happy.

tony draper
13th May 2003, 16:17
Now we will have endless hours of that most tedious of games, cricket, the TV companies love cricket, they save a fortune on transmission, they only need to update the screen avery 15 minutes when something moves.
;)

Buster Hyman
13th May 2003, 16:28
You've only got yourselves to blame! After all, you did join the EU didn't you?;)

Anyway, the REAL footy's only about a third into the season....GO BOMBERS!:p

Flip Flop Flyer
13th May 2003, 18:15
There is a world outside blighty guys, please refrain from sounding like yanks. For starters, the best league in the world is still undecided. Let's also not forget that the second leg of the Champions League semi's are played this week. Luckily without the presence of Man. U and that disgusting Beckham :yuk: person.

And around Europe, the continental part that is, football games are played every week-end. So the season is far from over.

kopbhoy2
13th May 2003, 18:18
There's not enough football on TV! these odd numbered years are awful - no month long World Cup or European Championship extravaganza for us to enjoy...so we make do with watching our videos & DVD's of past performances, while wondering if our respective clubs can sign that one player who'll make a difference & deliver the holy grail of a cup, title, promotion or any kind of glory... :hmm:

Nevermind...it's not quite over yet (FA cup, 2 European finals & some internationals in the next few weeks) and it'll be back in august. In the meantime there's Motor racing to be enjoyed & a few horse races to lose money on :)

Whiskery
13th May 2003, 18:53
You want football - we'll give you FOOTBALL !

www.afl.com.au

Buster, me old Mateeee. GO PIES !!!!!

eal401
13th May 2003, 19:07
two teams whose names cannot be pronounced

Oh, Inter Milan v AC Milan. How will I cope pronouncing these words of over one syllable??

:rolleyes:

Rugz
13th May 2003, 21:21
I am a total sportaholic and as such cannot agree with the anti-football comments made here :mad:

The day that every footie match is available on TV will be a good day in my book :ok:

Earlier this year I signed up for NASN (North American Sports Network) which means I can now watch NHL, MLB, College Basketball, College American Football, NASCAR and hopefully later this year (if they sort the contracts out) NFL and NBA. This channel shows live and delayed games 24/7, so combined with SkySports and Eurosport, I can pretty much find some sport worth watching at any time on any day.

Can't wait for more though :cool:

Buster Hyman
13th May 2003, 23:25
Whiskery, me old China!

Perchance, were you there ANZAC day? I fear, if you were, that you saw the best of the Bombers for season 2003!:( :sad: :uhoh:

Hilico
14th May 2003, 06:13
Football's (he means soccer - Ed) biggest problem is that it's become fashionable. Girls go to matches. Earnest treatises are written over the significance of Beckham's latest haircut. Wearing last season's kit to school is a sure route to having your head flushed down the bog. But much, much worse is the amount of money it attracts. The prospect (sic) (he means "read that word again" - Ed) of huge TV audiences leads to stupid contract decisions like the one that broke ITV Digital. Having bought the rights to show the matches, the TV companies (the ones that are still going) are bl00dy well going to show them (see first post for details). However, if one happens to glimpse any of the non-Premiership ties, one is treated to the sight of acres of empty seats - it's as though 22 people had to decided to dress up and have a kick-about in a car-park.

The top players, we are told relentlessly, "earn" fifty thousand quid a week, and Man U is one of the world's biggest brands, while if a team gets relegated to the depths of the First division it's like going to the poorhouse. I've said this before in another thread and another context, but if the gap between rich and poor gets too big, suffering is the result. Where's the game going to go if there's no lower leagues propping it up?

Hopefully, down the tubes, at least as far as TV is concerned. Then the fans can go back to watching matches at 3pm on Saturday afternoon and everyone else can watch what they expect at 7:30pm on a Tuesday.

Whiskery
14th May 2003, 08:35
Unfortunately Buster I wasn't at the match, but had the next best thing - satellite direct to our pub in KL.

Congratulations. Maybe we should have case of VB on the next time we meet ? (29th August just before the Finals). :p

Buster Hyman
14th May 2003, 09:24
A case of VB! On my wage!!!!;)

If you're in town for it, let me know.:ok:

Little Blue
14th May 2003, 15:41
....As my old man used to say
..."Never, ever trust man who doesn't like football"
...or was it women???
;)