PDA

View Full Version : Question for KLM'ers

airsmiles
13th May 2003, 05:22
I am taking Mrs Airsmiles to Peru for our 20th Wedding Anniversary. Flight is KLM741 on May 25th.

My problem is that I have a serious hearing problem which makes any form of background noise difficult to cope with. (i.e I can't hear what anyone is saying the cabin !) It may be silly question but is there a quieter part of the aircraft inside the cabin ? I was thinking that a seat ahead of the engines may be quieter than behind the engines.

Does anyone have an opinion on this, especially those of you who fly MD-11's which KLM use on the Lima route. Also, are there actually any economy seats ahead of the engines ?

As it's a 15 hour flight I could end up being in difficulty for an unbearable amount of time. (I have only flown up to 10 hours before and that was bad enough). Is it worth advising KLM of my hearing problem before the day of the flight or at check-in, to alert them of my communication problem ?

Any advice would be gratefully received and apologies if I'm on the wrong forum. If anyone knows someone from KLM perhaps they would be good enough to seek their opinion.

Regards

airsmiles

PAXboy
13th May 2003, 07:54
I think this forum is a good place to start but Health may be an option also. However, Capt PPRuNe does not like multiple threads on the same topic.

Firstly - Ouch!! This does seem like an awkward one. I have sent a private message requesting one of the Mod Bods to do a fly by of this thread as I think that she can help.

The only specific thought I had is:- Noise Cancelling Headphones. If you are aware of these, skip the next bit. This technology was designed for areas with high ambient noise, such as bank trading floors and pilots, to give but two examples. The headphones have microphones that monitor the ambient sound and distinguish what is constant background. It then generates an 'equal and opposite' sound wave and feeds that to you as well. This cancels the background noise.

The result is immediate and distinctive. My Sony N/C phones have a small AAA battery that runs for dozens of hours. I use them on trains as well. You do not have to actually be listening to music or the film, you can just place them on your head and switch them on. I suggest that you try and borrow a pair to try out on a train or similar known environment?

My reason for suggesting them is that, from your description, the volume of ambient noise, has a debilitating effect upon you? They are not cheap but could significantly reduce the amount of noise that reaches your ears.

If you would like to know more, send me a private message (click the tab at the top of this post).

I have Sony MDR-NC5 units that are usually listed at about $100 but you might get some on eBay for less.

These are all USA sites but search for local distributers of these products.

Sony (http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer/ss5/office/accessories/noisecancelingheadphones/mdr-nc5.shtml)
Bose (http://www.bose.com/noise_reduction/qc_headset/)
Sennheiser (http://www.sennheiserusa.com/pages/products/headphones/noise-cancelling.htm)

Globaliser
13th May 2003, 18:02
Of the noise reducing headsets, I can highly recommend the Bose set. This is the UK page for the product - http://www.bose.co.uk/noise_reduction/qc_headset/ - and it also has links to online buying and customer service (phone order) numbers. It's expensive and relatively big to carry around, compared to the others, but most people I know who've tried the different types have said that, if you can afford it, it's worth the extra money. I've got a pair and I have never felt any disappointment with them.

flapsforty
13th May 2003, 23:26
Airsmiles, I have just printed out your post and will show it to the Cabin Flight Support folks at Schiphol aiport when I get back to base day after tomorrow.
From my point of view though, the very best solution for your particular discomfort MUST be a noise cancelling headset as described on this thread.

If CFS come up with anything, I will let you know. To see the the seat plan of our MD-11s, have a look in a KLM time table.
Maybe they're on the internet site as well, but not sure.
To be continued. :)

And your Mrs one lucky woman; what a wonderful way to spend your anniversary! Gorgeous country.

Thanks PAXboy. :ok:

flapsforty
15th May 2003, 23:11
update

Airsmiles, did as promised above. Biggest hurdle was to make the gentlemen in question understand that he would not in fact find Mrs & Mrs Airsmiles in the reservation system. ;)

Wings start at row 16, one engine ion each. Third engine's on the tail, so your best location would be between rows 10 and 15.
This is something your travel agent can arrange for you.
If your travel agent won't, private message me your real name plus your reservation number. This is a 5 letter/number code on your ticket which ends with either the letter U or D.

If you do that, I'll call base from home next week and if those seats have not been given out yet, they will try and reserve 2 of them for you.

And ....ermm... it will still be noisy, so remember those headsets. :)

Hope this helps.

PAXboy
16th May 2003, 03:50
Thanks Madam Purple Print!

Well, I think that PPRuNe's SLF can now be sure of getting even the most obscure question answered in a timely and helpful fashion. Don't tell the rest of the world that we've cracked it! :}

airsmiles
16th May 2003, 05:17
I never fail to be amazed by the response pprune users get on the site. There are some very genuine and helpful people out there who take those of us who are just pax or on the fringe of the airline world seriously.

Sometimes it's not always easy to explain the difficulties you have when doing apparently normal everyday things, but it's certainly a lot easier when people listen to your problem !!

I am following up the bose headsets and will check-out the seating arrangements.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

airsmiles