PDA

View Full Version : Scrolling/Speed problems

WE Branch Fanatic
12th May 2003, 19:18
For some time now I have been experiencing problems when using the internet. I first noticed these when using PPRuNe, then it was a problem with other sites. It was perfectly fine until several months ago, then suddenly went funny.

Basically there are several main problems.....

1. When using the net, pages/pictures take longer to load than they used to.
2. Pages take a long time to scroll (as opposed to what they used to) - can't just pull the page down now.
3. When on PPRuNe and typing a post or message, the words appear on the screen much less fast than I type them, in writing this I have to keep stoping to let the words appear on the screen.

I am using a Pentium II (yeah, I know - don't say it) and AOL (version 5 - I would upgrade but currently can't (see below)) via the PTSN, with a 56k modem and a normal connection of around 33.6 kbps or so.

Additionally in recent weeks my CD Drive has gone u/s (probably a loose connection as it was fine and suddenly failed - might be an idea to open the PC case and have a wee look/play) so I cannot use the AOL upgrade CD ROM (if I could remember where I put it) and a losse connection in the monitor means that one of the CRT electron guns is not firing so colours ain't right - particularly reds. This is an intermitant problem indicating a loose connection.

Mainly its points 1 to 3 that are worrying me - so suggestions and info would be greatly appreciated. I have tried the normal things like deleting temporary files and history files and cookies.

Thanks in advance....

WEBF

spekesoftly
12th May 2003, 23:58
I know it can be difficult to give up on an old and trusted system, but with so many snags, is it not time to consider a replacement? ;)

amanoffewwords
13th May 2003, 00:35
Have you stopped smoking recently? If you have, according to this BBC article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3014151.stm) time goes past more slowly for people who are in the process of giving up. Doesn't say what happens when you have completely given up though :confused:

But seriously, I would have thought that, for normal usage, such as email - word-processing - basic Internet etc. a PII should be perfectly adequate - my daughter's got a PC with an old Celeron chip - works perfectly for above mentioned tasks when Mrs Words is hogging the main PC.

So, short of taking Spekesoftly's advise and chuck the whole lot out (which the demon on my other shoulder is yelling me to tell you http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/devil_2.gif.. I would recommend:

1. checking for viruses / trojans - esp. if you use IE 5.0
2. reload Windows (better option but backup yer stuff 1st)
3. Check your RAM (don't know how mind - if you two - take one - see effect - replace with other - see effect.
4. Run scandisk etc.

33.6 is low btw, should really be around 40-45k with BT - 50 if you have cable - but that could be due to your processor.

hth, not

Just an other number
16th May 2003, 22:55
Back to your 1 2 3, very slow JERKY scrolling, type a character and wait 5 seconds for it to appear.
I've had this for about a week now with internet explorer and hotmail and ebay and Hong Kong Bank and Barclays Bank, but not all websites.
It's very annoying.
I've done scandisk and defrag and gone through all installed programs and removed cookies and downloaded internet programs and any other rubbish, but no joy.
So now I'm using netscape again - no problem. But I prefer ie.
I seem to recall this with internet explorer about 5 - 6 months ago. It was a problem for a few weeks then stopped as suddenly as it had started.
So... try netscape 6.

Just an other number
17th May 2003, 20:35
or, as I said above, use netscape as your browser.
AOL's own browser is, I think, built on internet explorer.

WE Branch Fanatic
6th Jun 2003, 23:01
I've downloading ad-aware but.......

I get an report box saying - Error Starting Program: A required .DLL file, WS2_32.DLL, was not found....

Eh? HELP!!

Update: On advice of AOL technical support, I have deleted the cache as well as hisory/temporary files. It seems to be working faster now, thought it is still a bit jerky scrolling. (Also 1 to 2 sec delay between typing a character and it appearing on the screen).

spycatcher
8th Jun 2003, 08:17
first thing i would do is check for a virus

for your missing file check this out http://www.ascentive.com/support/new/trouble_ws2.phtml

WE Branch Fanatic
28th Jun 2003, 07:18
I've downloaded and installed a virus checker. It found two viruses and dealt with them. However, this doesn't seem to have improved things.

I downloaded a ZIPed version of the DLL file an unzipped it. I put it in the C:\WINDOWS\System place - but on try to run ad aware I still get the same message. Where should it go?

Anyone else got any ideas as this is p***ing me off....

fobotcso
28th Jun 2003, 17:03
It would be helpful to know which version of Windows and any updates you have applied.

And how much RAM? And the size of the Hard Disk.

Your PII should be OK but with AOL....? Certainly don't upgrade. Upgrades only get bloatier fill up the RAM and use more processor resources.

For testing purposes I keep a Grandfather Pentium (before they gave them numbers) running Windows 98SE at 166MHz on 64MB RAM and it does OK. But I keep it clear of extras and it Browses the Web through my LAN at a pedestrian pace but satisfactorily.

With an elderly "legacy" system you have to resist the temptation to add too many bells and whistles and Updates.

If you're on 95/98, what do you see when you do the Ctrl/Alt/Del routine? Any Progs running that you haven't asked for? The four on my Grandfather machine are: explorer, systray, alogserv(that's McAfee VirusScan ver 5) and ZoneAlarmPro. That's all. The Browser, when I use it, is IE ver 5 with 40-bit encryption.

Oh, that DLL. No harm in putting it in more than one place. Try System32 and the Windows Folder.

amanoffewwords
28th Jun 2003, 17:20
Didn't see a mention of the name of the anti-virus program you are using- is it able to check for Trojans? That's a definitive way to slow your system down. Saw a pc the other day running a program called ~2.exe and using 99% cpu. If you located it on the drive and deleted ~3.exe would appear somewhere else and so on. The only way to remove the b :mad: d was to download a removal tool from Symantec. The PC in question then took off like Concorde on ABs.