PDA

View Full Version : Stuff we won't throw away

tony draper
12th May 2003, 18:49
Like most chaps Drapes has a box in the bottom of a cupboard where thing are thrown when they break, not everything of course, break a cup or a jug, and in the bin it goes immediately which of course is the sensible thing to do.
The sort of broke stuff this box contains are things we should throw away but never do, ie do I actually need 17 broken cigarette lighters?what possible use are dried up pens or indeed old wore out fountain pens sans nibs and without the little rubber thingy inside for the ink.
Keyrings with plastic animals hanging off them, dead spectacles some without glass, some with glass but no hooky thingies to go over ones lugs, 5 power supplies, trickle charge and 12 volt,least they would be if they still worked, feckin one bicycle clip?, what stories it could tell,packets of photographic negatives god knows of what. athing made a woodwork at school , a sort of flat wooden thingy with a glass marble in it for hanging towels off as I recal.
Batteries without number, not the rechargable ones the old fashioned throw away when dead ones, two things for lighting the gas cooker,old leather belts 4, 2 broaches, 2 odd cufflinks, and two things for keeping your shirt sleeves up, (not a pair incidently)2 watch straps minus the watch , 2 watches minus the straps.
And best of all a feckin cobblers last!!!, I kid you not, a feckin cobblers last.
Many other moribund treasures in this box, but one must think of Dannys bandwidth.
Do lady prooner have such a receptical? do other proon chaps keep stuff like this?.

:rolleyes:

witchdoctor
12th May 2003, 18:58
You must be my dear old grandad reincarnated.;)

Unwell_Raptor
12th May 2003, 19:28
It's not me, it's Mrs. R.

We have a bungalow with a large loft space, and it is completely full. Most of the stuff has been there since before I moved in, and will probably be taken to the dump when the undertakers have finished with me.

When I get the chance I sneak round the house with a bin bag and quietly throw away just a few things, that are not missed. The bag then goes in the bottom of the wheelie bin, with some nice wet kitchen garbage on top to avoid prying. Unfortunately, at this rate it will take 50 years to do the job.

:{

Anthony Carn
12th May 2003, 19:36
No kettle whistles in there, Drapes ? :rolleyes:

newswatcher
12th May 2003, 19:41
Drapes,

Not nearly as bad as "Life of Grime" which has been repeated on BBC, in recent weeks.

Last week's episode included the clearing out of the flat of a dear old lady, seemingly well-educated, played a fair piano, but had allowed her passion for cats to get the better of her! Neighbours complained and "Grime Squad" were sent round.

During their clear-up, they found what can best be described as a mummified cat, at the bottom of one of the wardrobes, in which she kept her clothes. Commentary suggested that it had been there for about a year! :yuk: :yuk:

tony draper
12th May 2003, 19:49
Unfortunatly not Mr Carn.
Your case is unusual Mr Raptor, tiz usualy the distaff side that is ruthless in throwing away ones treasures , one recals a mate shortly after he wed coming to me and begging me to offer sancturary to his lead soldiers and various other items, his intended had thrown them in the bin,only a daily inspection of the rubbish bin when his lady was absent saved much of his goods.
Indeed I remember mine trying to cast out a perfectly good suit, she failed of course, one is sure that flared bottoms and wide lapels will make a come back some day, and one still has a few kipper ties in the draw just in case.

flyblue
12th May 2003, 19:56
I have an attic full of that kind of rubbish :rolleyes:
I upgrade to main floor just about one billion hotel pens (they could be useful one day when you need one in a hurry. Too bad when it happens they never work :mad: ) and my collection of colored bandages (a full drawer. Call me pessimistic:}).

CoodaShooda
12th May 2003, 19:59
Do lady prooner have such a receptical?

Can't speak for lady prooners but Lady CS has one....calls it THE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:{ :ugh:

No matter what the size of Chez Cooda, she has the happy knack of rendering it too small for our needs in a very short time.:rolleyes: :uhoh:

simon brown
12th May 2003, 20:16
Tony,

Do lady prooner have such a receptical?

Yes they call it a handbag. Its embarrasing being out with your woman when she goes to get the car keys and empties all her shite on the bonnet of the car. I dont know how it all fits in to be honest the word TARDIS springs to mind.

I had to throw my dustbin out the other day...but couldnt find anything to put it in:ok: :E

Tricky Woo
12th May 2003, 20:35
On old girlfriend of mine had a head full of broken biscuits.

TW

BlueDiamond
12th May 2003, 21:40
Well, family and friends refer to my handbag as the Bermuda Triangle. Once things get into it they're not usually seen again.

I like to make sure all my vaccinations are up to date before sticking a hand into it ... you never know what might have taken up residence in its unexplored depths.

:D :eek:

Gainesy
12th May 2003, 21:49
A mate's wife threw out his bits box. As all males know, a bits box is absolutely invaluable for that odd nut/bolt/widget.

Twenty years accumulation of stuff--binned.

"It was only a box of nuts and bolts and old car stuff"she said.

He was almost speechless.

Women do not understand the importance of a well nurtured bits box.

bubba zanetti
12th May 2003, 23:28
mr draper, you box describes very nicely my treasure shed - constructed for the sole purpose of housing such bits .... sigh, it is full and mrs zanetti has a multi level replacement in her mind to accomodate future valued items ....

:oh:

Windy Militant
13th May 2003, 01:49
There's a tie in here to the spooky coincidence thread!:ooh:
If ever you throw away anything from your bits box you're bound to find that the bit you threw away is vital in the repair of some critical or expensive item which will suffer a catastrophic failure immediately that the bit in question goes hull down over the horizon!;)

eastern wiseguy
13th May 2003, 02:08
I am at THIS VERY MOMENT clearing out the tat acquired over goodness knows how many years.I have found amongst other things a pressure barrel for home brew...unused....a Mamod traction engine ..rusted ...a remote control Darth Vader ...a series of kitchen implements ..and here is the quandary..a heap of photos of the EX Mrs Wiseguy....I don't quite know what to do with those.....any suggestions??:confused:

tony draper
13th May 2003, 02:36
The thing that really worries me is the human skull right at the bottom of the box. :( :uhoh:

Windy Militant
13th May 2003, 03:16
Mr Draper sir will that not come in handy to fix the Broken pilot you have in the cellar......... er or am I thinking of someone else:uhoh:

tony draper
13th May 2003, 03:31
Thats right bring me past up, I payed me dept to society an if I keep taking the pills there should be no reoccurance of err, fixing folks. :mad: ;)

Stoorie
13th May 2003, 04:03
Talking of the past......????

Quote "I remember mine trying to cast out a perfectly good suit, she ......"

Mr D. From your past scribblings I had pictured you as a crusty old life long Bachelor ???;)
:confused:

Unwell_Raptor
13th May 2003, 04:12
Less of the Old if you please, Sir!

Tricky Woo
13th May 2003, 04:14
What's with the skull, Herr D? Did yer do in yer missus?

TW

tony draper
13th May 2003, 04:17
We all have periods in our past we would as soon forget, Stoorie. :(

Shhhh Mr Woo,she is asleep, you might wake her, although four inches of quicklime does tend to deaden the sound somewhat.
:rolleyes:

Stoorie
13th May 2003, 04:23
Mr UR
( one must always respect ones elders)

Can anyone that has "flares" and "kipper ties" hidden in the wardrobe be classed as"young" ???
:confused:

reynoldsno1
13th May 2003, 04:34
I was told that moving house was a good time for a Stalinist purge of boxes of "stuff" - having made three intercontinental moves in the past 5 years, the good times never came.

Mrs r1 did clean out my Mum's garage, and now we have her stuff as well - transports acroos 12000 miles of sea. r1 jr. wants a garage sale (that is the stuff inside the garage, not the garage itself), but Mrs r1 has deemed the stuff sacrosanct. Thankfully we have a double garage and one vehicle.

I am now working on acquring a cheap 1 ton ute to fill thebgarage space and eject the stuff, but I am worried that the ute is going to get filled up as well. I think I may need to take this stuff to the Agony Aunt forum.

tony draper
13th May 2003, 04:43
I bet I am the only prooner with a complete Speed Camera in the house, beat that.
PS,Less the pole of course, and it is here quite legally.
PPS, I also know somebody who had a Sidewinder Missile in their garage, not sure about the legality of that.
;)

maggioneato
13th May 2003, 18:09
I used to carry a handbag, not any more. I left it on the right seat when learning to fly, my Instructor picked it up so he could get in, bloody hell he said, what have you got in there. I still don't know why, but I had a set of spanners, a pair of pliers, and a screwdriver in it, as well as all the girlie stuff. He weighed the bag when we got back, 10.5 pounds. Have just done a big loft clear out, 5 cars full to the roof, so yes, I am a hoarder.

Gainesy
14th May 2003, 00:30
Five cars in yer loft??? Jeez that is hoarding.

flower
14th May 2003, 00:44
I hoard for about 6 months then have massive clearout , then store it all up again for the arrival of next mini skip!!!

The one area though that does let me down are my food cupboards and freezer, Im convinced I don't leave it that long between cleaning them but somehow something always sneaks itself back into the cupboard which is massively out of date:O

Have never had anything quite so out of date as a certain PPRuNers Custard packet though :E

Onan the Clumsy
14th May 2003, 05:51
We moved into our house just over three years ago and the previous owners sent the maid to clean up. Well the missus called me at work to say she had noticed some stuff in the loft and had told the previous owners. They said they'd never been up there so they didn't want it and she could give it to the maid.

My missus said there might be a little bit too much for her to handle.

Four trips to the dump later...

It was like an archeological dig. I went back through at least four owners - they were like ancient civilizations each with their own distinct art and pottery. Four trips, each one with a truck so full that any new item would just roll off the top of the pile. All of it junk too.

I could almost hear the house breath a sigh of relief. I decked it out and insulated it and put lights up there so it's pretty cool now. I might even move up there at some point :ok:

Tricky Woo
14th May 2003, 15:12
I really can't stand old furniture, clothes, old electrical items, etc, etc. But they really do quickly accumulate. So, here's what I do: I always buy houses with large, dry cellars.

One finds that house prices rarely reflect the extra space of a cellar, so this is in no way an over-indulgence. All said clutter is immediately placed into the cellar as it accumulates. This ensures that I'm not tripping over my clutter during my day-to-day activities. After a few years, the cellar inevitably becomes full of cookers, broken VCRs, spare car parts, stuffed rhinoceri, corpses that friends ask me to hide 'for a while' which they inevitably fail to collect, machetes and other assorted weaponry, spare jet engines, etc etc.

That's when I move house.

In the early days, I'd hold an underground garage sale. But I got a bit disgusted with some of the perverts who bought the corpses for their private purposes. Also, I still feel a bit guilty about one or two of the sales: "I won't sell 100 kilos of enriched uranium to just anyone, you know", I told that bloke. Still, I suppose he did make me a good offer, and North Korean currency is as hard as any other, and I had already set a precedent when I flogged those old Exocets to the Argentinians.

Nowadays, I simply pour a few tonnes of quick-drying concrete through the cellar door, and then advertise the house without mentioning the cellar at
all. Like I said, cellars are rarely used to calculate house prices, so a thrifty solution, one feels, and certainly cheaper than transporting them to the recycling centre.

TW