PDA

View Full Version : Monkey Scrotum Checks

Hawk
12th May 2003, 08:28
Some might not like the idea, but the male human being can learn a lesson from his lower-order counterpart, the monkey. http://216.40.249.192/s/otn/animals/shakin.gif

Many male monkeys have the good sense to make regular checks of their scrotums and testicles to see if anything feels odd. Men can do the same. You'll only know if a lump or some other irregularity appears if you knew what your testicles felt like beforehand. Testicular cancer is the most common cancer affecting men between the ages of 15 and 35. It can spread to other parts of the body and put men's lives in danger. But men, unlike monkeys, can do something about it. Caught in its early stages, a tumor can usually be removed by simple procedure. The success rate is almost 100%. :ok:

Get into the habit of checking your penis, scrotum and testicles about once a month. It's best to do it after you've had a shower or warm bath, when the scrotum is relaxed and it's easier to feel the testicles. If you know what it all feels like normally, you should also be able to detect swellings (maybe cysts), as well as soreness and infections.

Doctor checks
If something seems unusual about your genitals, if there's any swelling, soreness, itches, pains or some unexplained discharge from the penis, don't delay getting this checked.

Article from "Good Medicine".
http://goodmedicine.ninemsn.com.au/goodmedicine/men/default.asp

GrantT
12th May 2003, 08:47
Why would momkeys check their balls if they can't do anything about it? Hmmmmm

Anyways, good info for any man that didn't know it already (which i would be suprised about).

Circuit Basher
12th May 2003, 15:41
Of course, these sort of checks can be even more pleasurable if you get your wife / gf / mistress to do them for you!! ;) :):D

Ronbmy
12th May 2003, 16:57
when the scrotum is relaxed ... & ...even more pleasurable if you get your wife Tried above but unable to stay relaxed.

Seriously, I think that some men will have a problem with this. They don't see it as the 'done thing'. Others will see it as questioning their 'manhood' or think that they have too much testosterone for it to happen to them.

My brother in law was told by his wife that 'something was different' one night. A trip to the Doctor, Hospital etc. Result - one testicle removed.

At the time he was 23 years old and otherwise as fit as a fiddle. It was a sharp lesson to the rest of the men in the family.

ZK-NSJ
12th May 2003, 17:33
very good piece of advice hawkie, although many men dont like talking about subjects such as this, would you rather be embarrassed or dead!.

kabz
13th May 2003, 10:04
Errrr, I checked my monkey's testicles, but the bugga bit me ... do I need a tetanus shot ? :D

Hawk
13th May 2003, 10:26
You need a firm hand for these sorts of examinations kabzie:ooh: and I think its a Rabies shot for a monkey bite, of course it depends on what sort of monkey bit you:E

Trained Monkey
13th May 2003, 13:06
Personally, I think this sort of check should be performed by qualified medical personnel ...

QDMQDMQDM
13th May 2003, 17:58
Probably is a good idea.

Interestingly, though, a recent, well-conducted prospective study of hundreds of thousands female chinese factory workers adds to the growing body of evidence that female breast self-examination does nothing to reduce the population death rate from breast cancer. So maybe it's the same with testicles?

QDM

BlueEagle
13th May 2003, 19:01
Well, wives and sweethearts should have as intimate a knowledge as anybody for this check I would have thought, just so long as they don't go confusing you with anyone else!;)

mad_jock
13th May 2003, 19:17
The AME that i use gives me a check up and a lecture every time I get a renewal . He reckons its hard enough to get pilots into a doctors surgery so he better do everything.

He's even got a wee ultrasonic thing to check your prostate. Apparently he is getting alot more customers to his well man clinics since he stopped having to shove his finger up there arses.

MJ

newswatcher
13th May 2003, 19:22
Is a homosexual monkey a chimpansy?

Hawk
13th May 2003, 19:38
Very true QDM. The evidence and research is clear. However, as an awareness raising exercise breast self examination will at least get them into their GPs office, so it has some merit, whereas they may well have not done so otherwise. Regardless, regular breast screening has the the best outcome.

In terms of ronby's experience though, thank goodness his sister had the presence of mind to alert her husband to a problem, and of course that raised the awareness of the other males' in the family.

Regardless of the statistics, the evidence is there also for the importance of "hope" in recovery.

Thanks for your medical opinion.

Cheers
hawk

Trained Monkey
13th May 2003, 22:03
There is also some evidence to suggest that women who never have children run a much higher risk of breast cancer. I think we should add this to our preflight checklist.

min
13th May 2003, 22:27
My sister found a lump during a monthly BSE. It was malignant, and she required chemo and radiation. In her case, that self-examination saved her life.

M.

QDMQDMQDM
15th May 2003, 06:32
However, as an awareness raising exercise breast self examination will at least get them into their GPs office, so it has some merit, whereas they may well have not done so otherwise. Regardless, regular breast screening has the the best outcome.

Indeed so. And, intuitively, things like breast self-examination are such obvious common sense that it seems ridiculous to question them. However, while there can be any number of individual cases where there may be a benefit -- like min's sister -- the evidence for a measurable population effect is lacking.

Partly, this may be due to a phenomenon called 'lead time bias', where survival time with the disease appears longer (because it is diagnosed earlier), but actually the outcome in terms of percentage death rates is unchanged.

Partly, too, I suspect it is a reflection of the fact that medical care per se has a tiny effect on average lifespan and population health, as compared to clean water, decent diet, sanitation etc.

So, should you self-examine? Yes, probably -- you have nothing to lose apart from a little extra anxiety and a bit more medicalisation in your life. Just don't believe it is a sure way not to die from breast cancer. It isn't.

QDM

Onan the Clumsy
15th May 2003, 07:23
Of course, these sort of checks can be even more pleasurable if you get your wife / gf / mistress to do them for you!!

...preferably at the same time

And on a serious note: men get breast cancer too, and not just ...heavyset chaps. Though I'm unsure if BSE would catch it in a man.

Wait a minute, isn't BSE = Bovine Spongiform Encephilitis? :confused:

noflow
18th May 2003, 03:43
I'm just recovering from the surgery right now. Check 'em guys so it can be caught early! Here is an excellent link for more information: http://tcrc.acor.org/index.html

Inspections need to happen monthly and take only a minute. Actually mine will take even less time because I've just got the one remaining. From what I've read no impact on the sex life or child creation.