PDA

View Full Version : KLM UK

cln 7r
3rd Sep 2001, 00:04
Is anyone in the hold pool for KLM UK?

Entered the pool in june and was told at interview it was to possibly be september for a start date, this has obviously passed now.
just wondered if anyone had any info as to when they plan on running the next course, told in july that they diddnt know when it would be.

would appreciate any feedback, rumours,news

[ 02 September 2001: Message edited by: cln 7r ]

wallup
3rd Sep 2001, 12:35
I hear that employment is on hold until the turboprop fleet is phased out and the jets are on line. Don't know about timescale.

Colt44
6th Sep 2001, 17:35
Two of the F50's will be going in January. These are to be replaced by one of the ATR's and a spare 146 from Buzz.
The rest of the F50 fleet are being phased out during 2002.

Ennie
7th Sep 2001, 11:53
I am in the holding pool also. I had my sim check in April and so did one other, then there is someone in March and one in Jan, so there is a few of us, and they have no idea when the next TRC is! Keep applying elsewhere I would suggest :mad:

springbok449
7th Sep 2001, 13:54
Well first of all guys sorry to hear this, I just find it strange that the company has promised you a job and that they're not keeping you in the picture as what is happening regarding a start date for a course. As Ennie pointed keep the CV's going elsewhere in the meantime.
Good Luck Folks.
Regards Bokkie449.

Ray D'Avecta
7th Sep 2001, 16:13
Hi folks, sorry to hear about your prolonged wait in the holding pool. I too was in the same situation earlier in the year (January and February) but was lucky to get the call in March. I know how frustrating it can be, but dont give up.....spend the waiting time constructively, e.g. applying to other companies :) you never know you might get a better offer

I'll update you on whats happening internally, in the meantime:

It has been decided that the F50's will be phased out, and that we will become an all jet fleet, starting in 2002. The ultimate jet type is a closely guarded secret, but the BAe 146 and ATR somebody mentioned above, are temporary stop gaps.

The first F50 goes at the end of this year, to be replaced by the 'temporary' 146, as such the emphasis has shifted from new pilot type rating courses, to finishing off the queue of new pilots waiting to go through line training, airfield specific training for the 146 crews,etc. I guess that this is in order to have a clean slate when the announcement on new aircraft type is made.

All of this means that you guys in the pool probably have a bit more of a wait. It is very unlikely that you will get called up now for an F50 course when the 50 is being phased out. Equally, until the new type is known, there are no courses planned. I beleive the final F50 course is going thru as we speak.

Its not all gloomy though......a couple of my mates in the pool got called at short notice onto ATR courses that started last month. The ATR's were previously wet leased to BRAL and some crowd in Vietnam, but are on the way back to temporarily cover some short routes that are losing the F50. My guess is that ad-hoc new pilot positions may be available on this. This is where it pays to keep in dialogue with the recruitment dept at KLMuk. Dont just sit back and expect one day to get a letter saying u start on so so date.

Show an interest, and speak to them ocassionally to get an idea of what the future holds for you guys. Thats what I did, and it was in the course of one such conversation that I got offered a course a few days later cos someone had pulled out at the last minute.

Good luck, and see you all in the crew centre soon

Colt44
7th Sep 2001, 20:21
Welcome to the Club, Ray. No doubt we will see you in the 'Tulip'.

Sunseeker
7th Sep 2001, 21:43
I've not long been with KLMuk and what I've learnt so far is ignore most of the rumours because that is all they are, nobody is too sure what is going on, everybody likes to have their own point of view. I'm not saying that anybody is wrong or right, but wait until an offical annoucement is made. It's a good company to work for but it does look like the last F50 course is going through for the near future. Good luck. ;)

[ 07 September 2001: Message edited by: Sunseeker ]

cln 7r
8th Sep 2001, 01:18
Thanks for the replies!

Nice to know there are others in the same position.
Spoke to KLM on wed and they pretty much confirmed what has been posted here. Told me that still remain in hold pool even if they change to jets before job offer made. Apparently there are twelve in the pool at present.

Have kept applying to other airlines not much happening.
Britannia gave me an assesment day but wasnt invited back for sim/interview, but life goes on. Consider myself very lucky to have got this far with no contacts at any of these airlines.

I will believe i have a job when i fly my first sector, Then and only Then!!!!!