PDA

View Full Version : Oh Dear, we is gonna be cooked by solar wind

tony draper
12th May 2003, 04:45
Not only Asteroid impact, Super Volcanoes, Super Tsunamies, another Ice Age caused by global warming now we find out the Earths Magnetic Field is gonna switch off, we is all gonna get cooked by the solar wind.
:{ :{
buggah , don't think I will bother upgrading me puter then.

reynoldsno1
12th May 2003, 04:47
Exactly what Mrs Reynolds said to me last night in bed, following a particularly satisfying chilli con carne.....

Keef
12th May 2003, 04:49
Well, Mr Draper, I could suggest a course of action. But I'd get into trouble from the boss...

Chaffers
12th May 2003, 04:59
Don't worry Drapes, those southern fops'll be the first to get cooked, them and luvvies......and scousers...and....<rant deleted>.

brockenspectre
12th May 2003, 05:08
for anyone interested one of the most brilliant websites (and you can register for email updates!) is at

Spaceweather.com (http://www.spaceweather.com)

if you want to know where to see auroras, solar flares, meteor showers then ...go check it out!!

:D

tony draper
12th May 2003, 05:14
If I am gonna be Kebabed I'd rather not know Broken. :(

Kwasi_Mensa
12th May 2003, 05:23
and no to mention the messages lately about methane gas that seem to get free from the bottom of the sea causing more alarm for global heating, or is it just a case of some wales having bad digestion?

Tricky Woo
12th May 2003, 05:29
By the looks of Cardiff, Wales does indeed have terrible digestion.

TW

Shaggy Sheep Driver
12th May 2003, 05:29
Buy shares in manufacturers of white paint. If the Earth's magnetic field 'flips', think of all those runway numbers that will need to be changed!!

SSD

Tricky Woo
12th May 2003, 05:42
Hmm, at least yer compasses'll still work.

TW

SixStarAnsett
12th May 2003, 15:44
I can imagine my mum talking to me about it: "Now luv, don't look at the sun when it happens".

When is the roasting due to take place? Sounds like a fairly important event. I'll insert it into my diary.

~I'll ask my Aunt to make a fruitcake.

SixStarScared

Anthony Carn
12th May 2003, 16:04
Same programme concluded that there'd be lots of death and destruction. Loads of cancer - ohmygodwerealldoomedwereallgoingtodie.

Then some bloke comes on and declares "But the really great thing is that the Aurora Borealis will be really spectacular."

Well worth it, then. :rolleyes:

maninblack
12th May 2003, 17:20
I don't need exposure to solar winds to raise my body temperature when this pseudo-science, crappy hour of overhyped, poorly planned, sub 11 plus science is nailed together for a pure ratings boost.

The premise was that for the first 30 minutes of the programme we are all gonna die in god's little frying pan when the magnetic field switches off. Then for the next thrity minutes they tell us that it is going to invert and that we are all gonna die, except some of us will and some of us won't and then perhaps it will take 300 years to stabilise and all life will end, oh no it won't........they couldn't make their damned minds up.

Coupled with the presentation style aimed at complete bl))dy idiots with the attention span of a drug addled shrew. Why do they have to recap the previous bit of the programme in a sensationalist way after each commercial break? How many of their viewers actually manage to accidentally erase their damned memories by incorrectly boiling the kettle during a adverts? :* :* :* :yuk:

con-pilot
13th May 2003, 00:38
Aw to hell with it, Iím going to start smoking again! Between Yellowstone Park blowing up and these here solar wind thingies and that there magnet field thingy we ainít got a chance.

Thanks a lot Mr. D, Iím off to get some smokes.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Send Clowns
13th May 2003, 00:54
Not only do we have no idea whether the field strength will drop during reversal, we do not know when the field will reverse (fundamentally unpredictable, under chaos theory) and it has happened on average every few hundred million years since the Atlantic started to form (100 million years ago). Never caused a noticeable upheaval in the fossil record, so why would we fry? I had a letter published in New Scientist on the subject some years ago, to refute a letter suggesting this as a cause for the mass extinction at the KT boundary (dinosaurs etc.).

The magnetic field may well be dropping at the moment, but since we have only been able to record small changes precisely for a short while this may be entirely normal fluctuation. World temperatures in the 1970s were dropping catastrophically, towards the next glacial period (we are already in an ice age, so it is not the next one!). Look where we are thirty years later :rolleyes:

Hilico
13th May 2003, 04:59
Maninblack, agree with your comments about the style...poor.

Sendclowns, we've been able to follow the geological record for millions of years and on average the magnetic poles flip every 200,000 years. At 780,000 years since the last one, we're very overdue.

But has anyone really thought through the consequences of a change in the North and South poles? I'll be living in the North of England! My house will halve in value overnight! I'll be out of work and have to wear a flat cap! The US will turn into the East and we'll all be part of the Warsaw Pact! Penguins will be found at the North Pole! There will be songs like "South to Alaska (way up South) South to Alaska" and proverbs like "when the South wind doth blow, we shall have snow". Millions of holiday makers setting out from Gatwick for Malaga will find themselves in Tromso. Spain's economy will be devastated. Holiday makers' livers will be revitalised (when they try to afford alcohol in Norway). New Orleans will be part of the Deep North and finally the South will have won the Civil War.

It will be chaos.

henry crun
13th May 2003, 07:42
SC, let me see if I have got this right, the Atlantic started to form 100 million years ago, but every few hundred million years since, this field reversal has occured.

Now maybe I am having one of those days called Thickies, but I cannot get my head around that statement.
:confused:

tony draper
13th May 2003, 07:54
That is indeed what happened Henry, for instance, the idea of continental drift is a couple of hundred years old, its obvious that the West coast of Africa fits very nicely into the East coast of South America, , even the rocK strata either side of the Atlantic are the same.
Until sea floor spreading and the mid atlantic ridge were discovered, there was no mechanism to explain this, the magnetic field is frozen into the rock as it solidifies, and the strips either side of the mid Atlantic ridge showed the magnetic field reversal, so unless we assume the Earth itself flips over every now and then, the only other answer is the polarity of the field does reverse over time.

henry crun
13th May 2003, 08:12
Tony, I am not questioning the occurence of the event rather the maths of the statement.

If the Atlantic started to form only 100 million years ago how can something have happened every few hundred million years since ?

andrewc
13th May 2003, 08:40
The flips are every 200K years not 200M years....
a regular geological event in fact,

-- Andrew