PDA

View Full Version : JAR-CPL in the US

FMC=MC2
2nd Sep 2001, 22:45
Hello all,
I need some advice. I've just finnished my ATPL's and would like to do the cpl module in the states. Does anyone know of any good schools.

clear prop!!!
3rd Sep 2001, 01:41
Well done on the ATPLs

Now I’m a great advocate of some flying in the States for hours, ME, experience and some good old fashioned money saving.

I would say however, when it comes to the CPL flying bit, do it here.

At any rate from memory I think you only have about 3 choices,

OFT (Cabair’s Florida establishment)
Pan Am
and International Flight training

Check out www.srg.caa.co.uk (http://www.srg.caa.co.uk) they are somewhere under 'information'

FMC=MC2
3rd Sep 2001, 15:43
Thanks for the congrate prop, any reason why you advise to do the CPL in the UK? I want to get started in the next two weeks so I have to make a decision quite soon.

JimNich
3rd Sep 2001, 17:54
FMC

I did my JAA CPL out in Florida with IFTA a couple of months ago, it was BRILLIANT!

Don't let a few sourpusses who've never even been tell you its a second class course. Just 'cos you don't happen to do it in Blighty doesn't make it any less challenging, just cheaper.

E-mail me and I'll give you more info if you like.

jimnich

clear prop!!!
4th Sep 2001, 00:39
Well Jim,

This sourpuss has in fact spent rather a lot of time flying in the States, and as I said I am an advocate of relevant hours and training over there….so there!!

Fact is, I believe that where you do your CPL does matter to potential employers. Prior to your CPL training I don’t think they give a stuff where you gained your hours etc, but you may well be asked where you did your CPL FIC or IR
Now don’t shoot the messenger, but I am simply of the belief that the negativity towards US training, however misplaced, is one more hurdle you don’t need in a difficult job market.

I have no doubt that your course was every bit as good as you would have got over here, but sadly that’s not at issue.

I would like to hear that I am wrong.

JimNich
5th Sep 2001, 02:08
CP,

Okay okay so I shot from the hip a little, I guess I should read the posts properly before I respond (but it'd take the fun RIGHT out of it).

I kind of see your point but I think this only applies to the Majors. I still think most of the smaller operators don't give a stuff where you do your CPL.

I do agree about the multi/IR though. For some reason this still seems to be the one they like doing in good old Blighty.

FMC=MC2
5th Sep 2001, 21:41
JimNich,
Thanks for the info. I've booked to go to IFTA on 19th Sept. Looking forward to it....just a bit.

I do agree that the majors may well look at the establishment where you trained but I get the feeling the are more intrested in how many hours you have and where you did the IR. I've just spent some time at Oxford doing the papers and I've seen the response the students get with a full Oxford CV. No better than the modular guys who do modules where the price and trainning schedule suits them.

I'm 38 and the highest I want to aim for is perhaps regional. So I think I will be just fine at IFTA.

By the way Jim, do you have any charts you would like to donate? :p
Thanks for the opinions.

Regards