PDA

View Full Version : Which Herc?

Cockney Geezer
11th May 2003, 19:00
Looking for thoughts and advice....

As a baby pilot interested in the Hercules world, what are the pros and cons, in terms of flying, career and lifestyle, between going K's or J's?

Particularly interested in the future role of the J, now that the K's life has been extended.

I'm sure this topic could bring up all sorts of banter about the two a/c but I'd appreciate some genuine answers if poss. (Though the banter is always amusing!)

Cheers

Cockney Geezer

Grimweasel
11th May 2003, 21:28
Starting to do Supply drops from the J now. Wedge and H/P's at the mo.
The K is still the most versatile in the AD role as all the systems are still worked by the old UK style floor. Boat systems and MSP's are still the domain of the K model.
No doubt in time DERA will get the funds to complete all the AD trials, that is if MSP's still have a role?!
From a pilots point of view most tell that the J is more fun, as there are just the two of you 'up-front'. No more stupid comments from the rear starboard seat like "Come left 2 degrees"
The computer does a lot of it for you. J is the way forward in my opinion, and it is MY opinion, Im not slating the K fleet, I just believe that you have to move with the times.
The J would no doubt better serve you when you did leave as the systems / MFD's etc are more like the ones you find in Civi street, unlike dials, valves and switches on the K.
No doubt this thread will turn into a North side, south side slagging match, but thats opinions for you! Lets just keep them well tempered for a change!!!

SASless
11th May 2003, 22:28
If you join the Mob....remember an Officer goes where he is told....anything beyond that is gravy.

Cockney Geezer
12th May 2003, 23:11
Cheers Grimweasel, that's exactly what I was after. The reason I was started the thread was because I had heard differing views on the future of J, either the J will mostly do routes or as you've said, the J will eventually broaden its roles, taking over some work from the K (funds permitting!).

I take your point SASless and I'm well aware of what you're saying but not quite what I was getting at, I'm just trying to get a feel for the multi fleet for when I fill in the old dream sheet. After all, when the blind man with the dart board decides my fate, it would be nice if I can bias the dart with my preferences!

I would appreciate more views on the subject.

Cockney Geezer