PDA

View Full Version : Yorkshire Puddings

Hostie from Hell
11th May 2003, 18:56
It's that day again.
The day when my talents in the kitchen are ruined by obstinate brittle pancakes that have the flying qualities of Ninja Stars.
I was told that said puds should be puffy floaty things.. and I am living up to my name !... Done the recipie book thing, and they are still vile.
The last attempt ended up as some perverse burnt sponge cake.
Short of getting the frozen Waitrose version.. any suggestions ?
:O

tony draper
11th May 2003, 19:30
Just break a egg into a small mixing bowl, add plain flour, (it must be plain flour) beat untill smooth, it needs to be the consistency of paint, adjust by adding more flour or milk as necessary.
Put small dollop of lard into each thingy in the yorkshire pudding tin,(forget the poncey cooking oil) place in very hot oven untill it begins to emit smoke, ,pour small amout of the mix into eack receptical(about a quarter of a inch in the bottom should do, plonk it back in the oven, and keep toot on it,
A variation is to put some chopped onion into the fat as you heat it then pour the mix onto the partialy cooked onions , makes luvly onion yorkies that does.
Inability to produce good yorkies is grounds for divorce in my neck of the woods.
Good luck.
:rolleyes:

Hostie from Hell
11th May 2003, 19:37
I can do the smoking oven bit especially with a microwave.
It said 20 minutes on the packet so thats what it got.
I always wondered what was at the middle of a black hole, and can now exclusively reveal that it is microwaved garlic bread.
Presumably the intended of TW is being trained in the art ?
Yorkshire Pud and Switzerland are hardly synonymous.

Stoorie
11th May 2003, 19:48
Advice from authentic old Yorkshire woman of my acquaintance :

Make up your batter an hour or two in advance and let it sit for a while.
DON'T open the door while they are cooking to have a look as this causes them to collapse.

Hope this helps. :ok:

Hostie from Hell
11th May 2003, 19:51
Tried the letting the batter stand bit.
Got glass oven door so that I can see that they are not rising anyway... whats all this advise I have been getting about adding a bit of water, and some baking powder ?

Presumably tosh !?

Stoorie
11th May 2003, 19:53
Apparently you can use a mix of half water and half milk for the liquid ( as heard from wise old sage ):D

flower
11th May 2003, 19:53
Aunt Bessies are as good if not better than any Yorkshires my mother or grandmother ever made and much less fuss . :ok:

tony draper
11th May 2003, 20:07
Yeh the frozen five minute ones are very good,
I don't think the baking soda is a good idea, as far as I know the reason only plain flour is used for yorkies is because self raising flour had baking soda in it.
The ability to produce good yorkies among the natives up here is the result of Darwinian selection, ladies with poor yorkie making talent remained spinsters, and so brought forth no young, thus was the poor yorkshire pudding gene deselected from the gene pool.

Flying Boat
11th May 2003, 20:12
4-6 Portions

100g flour
salt
1 egg
250ml milk or milk & water
25g dripping or oil

Sieve flour & salt into a basin, make a well in the centre. Break in the egg, add 1/2 the liquid & whisk to a smooth mixture, gradually adding the rest of the liquid and allow to rest.
Select a shallow pan, 15cm in diameter. Add 25g dripping from the joint & heat in the oven, poor in the mixture & cook in a hot oven (230-250C) for approx 15min.

Ceserani & Kinton are the Chefs that wrote cookery books for trainee chefs, recommended by all the good catering colleges.

The usual factors adding to 'Total Pudding Failure' are too deep a pan, poorly greased pans, poor heat management and too stiff a mixture.

When I was in Saudi Arabia my chefs used to produce a good 'Ice Hockey Puck' until we worked out what the problem was, we eventually used shallower pans (these were individual, jam tart style) less oil/fat before baking and a slightly hotter oven for 12-13 minutes.

The next time you have an hour to experiment, try cooking several puds each one with a slightly different variation on ingredient/temp/style of pan. Then you could perfect your puds without the pressure of a 'dinner deadline'.

Good luck with your puds.

FB
:ok:

Hostie from Hell
11th May 2003, 20:17
The definative test is now underway
... oven pre-heating as we speak... presumably consistancy of paint refers to something other than the solid emulsion I favour ?
Results shortly... and if they are any good I'll freeze em :E

So far it seems to be going OK.
Did'nt sieve flour and salt as the maid does not work on Sundays.
Added egg, milk ( no water) and sea salt, and blended with long white thing with plug.
Pre-heated tin with virgin olive oil as dripping is hard to come by in these parts.
Checked that smoke was being produced from oven...donned Drager and fire gloves in approved manner.

poured in batter amid much hissing .... now we wait. :uhoh:

Stoorie
11th May 2003, 21:08
Hmmmmmmmm..........Think I'll have yorkshire puddings for dinner tonight.:D

Consistency? - enough to cling/coat the back of a wooden spoon

Hostie from Hell
11th May 2003, 21:12
Unbelievably they are rising !
Ergo.... no water, no baking powder, and long white thingy with plug !
:O
Turned off oven as they are going black.

5 mins later, returned with drager and gloves.
Removed tin.

1 is dead
1 looks like a croixant
1 looks like an apple strudel

BUT 1 looks like a mutant yorkshire pudding with air in it !

must be something in how the mixture gets poured in.

benhurr
11th May 2003, 23:07
You need the oven as hot as hell, the oil needs to be smoking before you add the batter.

Also I find that an extra egg helps. And the batter does need to rest before you cook it.

About 10 minutes in the oven and they will be fanyorkietastic

takenthe5thamendment
12th May 2003, 00:04
You made FOUR????
With the quanties given you should have used a bun tin and made TWELVE!

A proper whisk should be used to get the air in - the 'long white thingy' is more of a liquidiser.

Sultan Ismail
12th May 2003, 00:47
the maid does not work on Sundays

Well, that's it then, how do you expect to make decent Yorkshire Puddings?

You're wasting everyones time with your posturing, get the maid in here straight away.

Don't know what the world is coming to, "the maid does not work on Sundays", never heard of such a thing

foghorn
12th May 2003, 01:36
For an East Anglian, Delia Smith has a good recipe, however there is one thing that she gets wrong: the batter must be left to rest for 15 - 20 mins before cooking, and then let down slightly with more water afterwards as it will stiffen up when resting. Don't use self-raising flour or baking soda.

As has been said the oven must be scorching and the fat must be smoking before cooking. If you insist on using oil rather than dripping (ie. if you prefer your arteries unblocked), use vegetable oil as it has the highest smoke point. Don't put too much batter in the tin. Don't open the oven door whilst cooking. In winter don't open the back/kitchen door whilst cooking, even (it can cause the oven temperature to drop in smaller kitchens).

Proper Yorkshire puddings are made in a single shallow tin and then sliced into pieces, not made in individual servings / bun tins / whatever. That's the non-Yorkshire way of serving 'Yorkshire' pudding.

They should come out of the oven ever so slightly moist and light brown, not dry and dark brown.

Noah Zark.
12th May 2003, 03:51
At the risk of "too many cooks spoil the broth", if I may, I'll chuck in my five pen'north. As Mr D. says, don't bother with the poncey cooking oil.
But if I may venture a step further, instead of lard, use beef dripping from last week's roast!
That will give it just that "little something extra". Absolutely wunnerful!
Got to go now, I am salivating all over me keyboard!
:ok:

tony draper
12th May 2003, 04:02
Indeed Yorkies made with the dripping from the beef take some beating, trouble is the cuts we get now don't have enough fat in em.

Noah Zark.
12th May 2003, 04:06
You are so right, unfortunately, Mr.D

maxman
12th May 2003, 06:54
Have to agree with "Flower". Aunt Bessies have fooled the mother in law for five years so far, but always put in an extra one, as one always mutates......................

tony draper
12th May 2003, 06:57
Same with frozen roasties, they are delish, I might have a black belt in Yorkie making but I never mastered the roast potato art.

timmcat
12th May 2003, 07:04
Up 'ere we just go to the pub, order a 'big bu**er' filled with roast beef and gravy and down the thing with a few pints of Tetleys (West Yorks) ir Theakies (North Yorks) and have done with it.

Feel free to let the girlie stay at home and mess about with ovens and stuff.

(Drapes, with you on the roasties, Aunt Bessies from Asda, 220 degrees in the convection for 35 mins, crisps up the little bug*ers nicely).

ChrisVJ
12th May 2003, 14:24
When I was a lad lodging in Higher Ercal, near Shawbury, we used to come back from the pub Sunday evenings and have Guiness with beef dripping on thick cut brown toast.

Them were the days. Round here you can't get dripping and the joints are so anaemic you can barely brown your roasties.

Can't get fresh suet either and they have never heard of offal, have not seen calve's liver in about five years, nor lamb's kidneys or even kippers. Oh, and black pudding costs more than steak!

Then again we have about ten sushi places in a village of 10,000. Just imagine a kid from S Yorks eating raw fish covered in ginger and dipped in soy. It is a very strange world. I discovered sushi when I was about 45, my kids get fed it every week at primary school!

Lifestyle is incomparable but there are some things one has given up along the way.

Blacksheep
12th May 2003, 16:54
For an absolutely perfect Yorkshire pudding I find a visit to the Golden Fleece in York does the trick. I have it on good authority that Grandma Batty herself makes them... :8

I'm puzzled a bit by that though, as Grandm Batty also does the yorkshire puddings at 'Take-a-Break' by Burton on Trent bus terminal.

How many genuine yorkshire puddings are made in English kitchens today? I think we need to be told...

Through difficulties to the cinema

tony draper
12th May 2003, 17:43
No good will come of Englishmen eating this foreign food I tell you.
We see it now, all the men south of the Humber are turning into girls, they stand with hand on hip exchanging recipes admiring each others nail varnish, and discusin flower arranging, instead of spitting in the street scowling at each other and talking about football like Northern men.

Noah Zark.
13th May 2003, 02:32
I say, Mr. D., Ga'an canny!! We lads here in South Yorkshire aren't all softies, as you imply. We can give as good as we get in any handbag fight!

bjcc
13th May 2003, 03:30
Hostie,

Two simple solutions spring to mind.

1. Get the maid to work weekends...afterall shes probably more adpt with the long white thingy with a plug that makes a noise like take off, and of course she will probably know how these things are made!
2. Get a Tescos (Or if you are BA, Harrods) Batter mix, I t means of course pushing a trolly up and down asiles, but then you will be used to that.
then just follow the instructions...works for me

Hostie from Hell
17th May 2003, 19:48
The mysteries of the humble Pud have been unveiled.. I can even do the onion one !... oh and thanks for the bulk recipie...basic maths let me do 4 rather than 40, but splitting up the egg was tricky :O
Thanks to Prooners Sunday lunch has a very diferant feel

Bon Appetitie !

ratsarrse
17th May 2003, 20:14
Yorkshire Pudding - food of the Gods! The great thing is that if you make too much, you can eat it cold - nice with a bit of jam on it. This doesn't work as well if you opted to cook your Yorkshire around your joint of meat.
Roast potatoes. You need decent potatoes - desiree work quite well. Chop 'em up small and boil. Drain the water, stick the lid on the pan, and shake it all about so those taters are well and truly bashed. Meanwhile, you've heated fat in a large roasting tin ready to baste the potatoes. Stick potatoes in the tin (they should be practically frying as you put them in) and thoroughly baste them. Roast. This generally results in potatoes that are fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside. Delicious.

Flying Boat
18th May 2003, 05:52
Glad you are successful in the quest for the perfect pud.

Your and your family's lives will now be enriched for the all the sundays from now until the end of eternity.

Praise be she has seen the 'light' and fluuffy Yorkshire Pud.

Well done Hostie!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FB :ok:

Synthetic
18th May 2003, 08:38
As an ex-patriot of the land of the rising pastie, I get confused. I ask one Yorkshireman and he tells me that they should be airy and crispy. Another says they should be thick and stogey. My fave is a bit of both. Any definitive answers?:confused:

Eric
18th May 2003, 10:19
Synthetic,

Stanley Holloway has the answer,

Waitress, excuse me a minute, now listen.
No I’m not finding fault miss, the taties are lovely, the beef is alreet –
but what sort of pudding is this?
It’s what? Yorkshire Pudding? Nar, come, come, come, lass.
It’s what, Yorkshire pudding, you say?
Nay, its pudding I’ll grant you, some sort of pudding, but not Yorkshire Pudding.
Nay, nay, the real Yorkshire Pudding’s a poem in batter
To make one’s an art not a trade.
Now listen to me for I’m going to tell thee how’t first Yorkshire pudding was made.
A young angel on leave from Heaven came flying above Ilkla Moor,
And the angel, poor thing got a cramp in her wing
And came down at an old woman’s door and the old woman smiled and said, “eee, its an angel-well I am surprised to see thee.
I’ve not seen an angel afore but thas welcome. I’ll make a nice cup of tea.”
And the angel said, “ee thank you kindly I will.”
Well she had 2 or 3 cups of tea, 3 or 4 sally lunns and a couple of buns, angel’s eat very lightly you see.
Then the old woman looked at the clock and said,
“By gum he’s due home from t’mill is my Dan. You get on wi yer tea,
But you must excuse me, I must make puddin now for t’old man.”
Then the angel jumped up and said, “give me a bowl, flour and water and eggs, salt and all
and I’ll show thee how we make puddings in heaven for Thomas and Peter and Paul.”
Then the old woman gave her the things and the angel just covered her wings and prayed with a hush.
Then she tenderly tickled the mixture wit’ spoon like an artist would paint with a brush.
She mixed up that pudding with Heavenly magic, she played with her spoon on that dough,
Just like Liberace on the piano or Kennedy would twiddle his bow.
And the old woman whispered, “ Oh angel, the clouds that I see in yon’ skies,
so fleecy and foamy is batter for pudding for saints feasting in Paradise.
It’s mixed with the rain and its stirred with a rainbow and baked in the beautiful sun.”
The angel kept stirring and smiled as she answered, “and when a star falls, it’s done!
But joking aside,” Said the angel, “the secret of puddings made here or above
is not in the flour and the water but when you’re mixing it, see that you mix it… with love.”
And when it were done, she put it in t’oven and said to t’old woman, “goodbye.”
Leaving the first Yorkshire Pudding there had ever been made…. and that’s why:
It melts in the mouth like the snow in the sunshine.
As light as a maiden’s kiss.
As soft as the fluff on the breast of the dove……..

NOT ELEPHANT’S LEATHER LIKE THIS !!!!

inchcape
20th May 2003, 00:18
I have a theory about Yorkshire Puddings - they perfect ones can only be made by mothers. My mum's were best of course and my ma in law makes them almost as good. I can produce some fairly acceptable puds when she stands over me giving instructions and looking anxious, but on my own I vary between my 'water biscuit' pud and a sludgy mess festering in in the bottom of the pan.
Spuds however, I have cracked. Boil them for about 10 minutes, give 'em a good shake in the pan to scruff them up. Put them into smoking fat (dripping or lard is best) and put in the oven on a high heat for around 50 minutes. Baste them three or four times. When you do this, take them from the oven and put the baking tray over a low light. When the fat is smoking use a spoon to pour it over the spuds a few times before returning them to the oven. Works every time. Even the mother in law is impressed.

newswatcher
20th May 2003, 00:35
Eric, I am intrigued that Stanley Holloway managed to work Nigel Kennedy into a song, or am I assuming the wrong "Kennedy"?

Eric
20th May 2003, 18:19
newswatcher,

I noticed that too but it was too late to do another search, here's a more valid find,

"Just like Paderewski would play the piano.
Or Kreisler now deceased would twiddle his bow".

newswatcher
20th May 2003, 18:35
Nice one Eric!:ok:

Actually I see that NK was born in 1956, which would make him 26 when SH died, so conceivable that he could have caught SH's eye, although song actually written by others. I don't think I remember NK coming onto the scene until the end of the 80s.

Eric
20th May 2003, 18:48
He was featured in a documentary about Yehudi Menuhin when he was about 10 (speaking in a posh accent!) but yes he only came on the scene as you say in the 80's.

It was revealed after Menuhin's death that he had paid NK's fees for him through the Yehudi Menuhin School.

Just noticed there's another 3 verses on the new found site!

"It's real Yorkshire pudden that makes Yorkshire lassies,
So buxum and broad in the hips,
It's real Yorkshire pudden that makes Yorkshire cricketers,
Win County championships.

It's real Yorkshire pudden that gives me my dreams,
Of a real Paradise up above,
Where at the last trump, I'll queue up for a lump,
Of the real Yorkshire pudden I love.

And there on a cloud... far away from the crowd,
In a real Paradise, not a dud 'un,
I'll do nowt for ever... and ever and ever,
But gollup up real Yorkshire pudden".