PDA

View Full Version : Is this the cheapest unmetered dial up?

timmcat
11th May 2003, 06:04
I hope it is because I've just signed up to it.

£7.99 per month 24/7 unlimited access. Only limitations, 2 hours per session, and 80 hours per month.

Link here. (http://www.giointernet.com/internet/home_dialup.htm)

Tim.

spekesoftly
11th May 2003, 08:20
Before signing up, did you research any of the ISP/Internet review websites? Is there a minimum contract period?
How much does it cost to phone the Gio technical helpline? Is 'cheapest' your only priority?

The phrase "You get what you pay for" springs to mind. Sorry :(

amanoffewwords
11th May 2003, 14:41
Considering you are restricted to 80 hours I can't see why they call it unlimited access (ditto BTOpenworld) - 'xcept for the play on words that is - AOL for their sins do give you unlimited access in the true sense of the expression - i.e. be online as much as you want over the month (with a 2 hour session limitation). I would check what they charge if you go over the 80 hour limit - and can you check your usage time as you go along to ensure you stay within the limit?

Otherwise looks good to me.

Nightrider
11th May 2003, 17:03
Timmcat, lacking any chance to have broadband in the foreseeable future here, I signed up with Onetel some 2 years ago and have to say that I am happy with it.
At not even double the costs, I have no time limits at all, 24 hours online, with a once in a while happening disconnect, it connects automatically again and speeds are excellent.
There are two recorded problems within the last 8 months, server problems I was told, but in total less than 5 hours disconnected.

Compared to your one, I assume this is a more valuable deal I have.
Forgot to say, I use ISDN, or Homehighway as BT calls it.

timmcat
12th May 2003, 02:47
Some valid points.. Yes the helpline is 60p per min, but from a personal view I don't need much hand holding so this probably is not a major factor.

A quick search has found some negative vibes, but I suppose I'll have to wait and see. 24 hours in, connected first time everytime, no broken connections, all OK.. I'll watch this space and keep you posted.

Tim

timmcat
18th May 2003, 06:39
Well, a week into it now. Still no probs.. there has been 2 or 3 occasions where its taken a couple of attempts to dial in, but otherwise all OK. No unexpected cut offs etc. They took my money, but the correct amount.. no suspicions of a rip off yet.

If anyone is interested, reply to this post, and I'll give a further update in a month or so.

Tim

Woodpidgeon
19th May 2003, 00:29
After much research I found Nildram, £21.99 month with no restrictions. I have had the connection for about 3 mths now with absolutely no probs. When I first connected I had a faulty modem and the tech depy were excellent, to the point of sending a BT engineer round to check everything, before the problem was diagnosed. You also get a POP3 account for your Emails. Thoroughly recommended.

timmcat
21st Oct 2003, 23:58
Well, it's all ended in tears..

Twas going reasonably well, until I got an e-mail a couple of weeks ago saying they were changing my dial-up number last weekend.

New number giving an 'unobtainable' message - ring tech support who say they are having 'router' difficulties, and to bear with them. Rang support again today, whose response was 'if you can't get through now, you never will be able to!'

Contacted accounts who were obviously prepared for this typ of call, cancelled my account immediatly and say they have refunded this months fee.

Background Noise
22nd Oct 2003, 23:33
I use ntl freedom. You pay £15 per month which includes phone calls and get free unlimited 24/7 internet. So if you make £15 worth of calls per month you get free internet access, if you make more calls you pay appropriately. If you only make, say, £12 worth of calls you're paying the extra £3 for the internet. (You still pay std line rental to BT)

Link: https://secure.ntlfreedom.com/(kaz0fd45ofmdue4511dvgv55)/Default.aspx?scid=olr Its the top choice, freedom classic.

exeng
23rd Oct 2003, 14:31
Like Background Noise I've used them for a couple of years now. Internet access is always free as the monthly phone bill always exceeds the 15 quid.

Sometimes the download speeds can be somewhat slow and at times it is impossible to access your e-mail accounts. Generally we have been pleased with their service.

Regards
Exeng

Tonic Please
24th Oct 2003, 01:51
I got NTLHome. 24/7...no dial up, 25.99 a month. No probs. No nothin exceot 600K speed! Cant recommend enough.

The phone calls are amazingly cheap too.

I wont start on BT coz I wont shut up. Bloody terms and conditions this that and the other.

:mad:
Dan

Background Noise
27th Oct 2003, 16:55
exeng, have you had any problems with the new ntl dialler. Its screwed up my user accounts and has caused some sort of internal PC snag too.

BEagle
27th Oct 2003, 17:44
Virgin.net is £24.99 per month for 24/7 unlimited Internet access. No session limits, no complex T&Cs - it does what it says on the tin. Simple, easy to use and no problems so far. Plus there's a back-up dial-up facility in case your ASDL modem goes on the fritz.

I'd far sooner know where I stand with unmetered Internet access like this than be tied-in to some 'including phone calls, second number, certain TV channels...' deals. Personally I'll stick with TV companies for TV, phone companies for phone/fax services - and ISPs for Internet!

exeng
27th Oct 2003, 18:01
I've had no problems with my user accounts on my desktop but I did have a problem on my recently aquired laptop. I'm not sure whether these problems were as a result of downloading the dialler or whether the problem was 'embedded' in XP from the beginning.

The problem I had was that windows was not remembering my passwords. See topic:LWindows passwords forgotten (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106791)

Richard from Naples Air Centre pointed me to this link which did the trick: Bill G knows about this problem and has a fix (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;264672&Product=winxp)

Regards
Exeng