PDA

View Full Version : EAL after Lorenzo's removal ...

Snakum
10th May 2003, 02:07
I read 'Grounded' this week and was just fascinated by the story of Eastern's demise. Especially, I just couldn't believe what an evil SOB Frank Lorenzo really was and how he seemed to play both sides against the middle throughout the whole mess.

Anyway ... the book ended just as the judge finally appointed Lorenzo's replacement, which of course leaves alot of questions:

* How long did the new leadership try to make a go of it? What was the final straw leading to liquidation?

* Was the liquidation forced by Boeing, GE, and other creditors? Did the creditors ever get anything out of Eastern?

* What became of Eastern/Trump Shuttle?

* What are Frank Lorenzo, Charley Bryan and Frank Borman doing today?

Just curious ...

Minh

411A
10th May 2003, 05:45
Those that really believe that Lorenzo actually was the reason Eastern Air Lines failed, are smoking illegal (in most areas) weed.

The real facts are there for all to see, if they have an open mind.

Sadly, many do not.......:rolleyes:

PS: Hint.......IAM, and in no small measure APLO.

DownIn3Green
10th May 2003, 09:33
Once again, 411 is right on target...of course there were a few other factors, such as "Desert Storm", which was the "final straw", but the precursors were as 411 says...especially ALPO...

B767300ER
10th May 2003, 13:15
The new leadership was appointed bythe bankruptcy court judge shortly after Lorenzo was found 'unfit' to run an airline. This court-appointed trustee, Martin Shugrue (ex-PA, ex-CO), tried in vain to turn EA around for about 14 months, but failed.

The liquidation was forced by Gulf War I, high fuel prices, competition from AA in MIA and other traditional markets, loss of major assets like South America/Europe and NE Shuttle, not to mention difficulty of operating with line-crossers with little experience.

EA's NE Shuttle was sold to Trump, renamed Trump Shuttle, then sold to USAir, renamed USAir Shuttle, and still operates to this day integrated into USAirways, but not with B-727s. It flies A-320s/319s and had flown B-737s for awhile. The ex-EA/ex-Trump B-727s are at Mojave Airport,CA and probably won't fly again.

Lorenzo has been trying to break into the airline business again, but has been black-balled essentially by the government and investors. Borman is probably enjoying retirement, and occassionally shows up on the golf course. Bryan is hopefully rotting away in some third-world jail-cell, as he was one of the main reasons EA shut down in the first place. What an arrogant, stubborn fool. He put all his dues-paying members at risk, but lives off a pension or parachute IAM provided.

EA was a good company, but doomed to fail due to inefficient work rules and high salaried, non-skilled workers.

Snakum
10th May 2003, 23:01
Thanks for all the info ... good stuff. I have a real curiosity about EAL, PA, Braniff, etc. I've been a wannabe since I was a little kid and I remember flying Eastern on the East coast and Pan Am back and forth from Germany in the 80s.

Charley Bryan came out in the book like quite a character, to say the least. The author appeared to lay almost equal blame on him and Lorenzo, but did mention many of the earlier Labor/Management/Cost issues as well.

Interesting stuff.

Minh

B767300ER
11th May 2003, 00:05
Did'nt you ever fly on us?: http://www.tapestrybags.com/images/twa.gif

Snakum
11th May 2003, 23:23
I definitely flew TWA, and as an aside ... I think the last TWA livery was the most beautiful paint scheme ever.

Being a wannabe, even while serving as an Army grunt in Germany in the late 1980s, I used to read about the aircraft I went back and forth on. If memory serves, I think this was what I rode from Frankfurt/Rein Mein...

Pan Am - Airbus 300(?)
TWA - L1011
Someone? - DC10
Lufthansa - 747 (First 747 ... and last.)

World Airways' L1011s back and forth from the NTC to Fort Hood, too.

I also seem to remember Delta in there somewhere, but I don't remember what they used to FRG back then. L1011s?

I used to wander up front each trip and take a gander at the flight deck. Back then I had only a few hours here and there in C150s, and I thought after I got out of the Army and finished school I'd finish my ratings and try to instruct part-time as I built a career in Industrial Engineering. It hasn't quite worked out that way, but I haven't given up the dream. I could happily fly a King Air or a Citation as long as my medical held out. I have given up on ever getting into an airliner.

Minh