PDA

View Full Version : Compatible Inkjet Cartridges ?

noblues
9th May 2003, 22:27
Has anyone experience of using compatible injet cartridges ?

I notice a whole host of sites selling cheap what they claim to be 'as good as originals', but I am rather dubious.

Although do resent the outrageous charges for manufacturer originals ...

PS : I am using an Epson CX5200 ....

Any comments on use of compatible cartridges would be appreciated ...

terryJones
10th May 2003, 00:33
noblues
For what it's worth I have used equivelent cartridges in my Epson 1200 A3 printer, and re filled my HP 720 cartridges for years. I do treat myself to a new HP cartridge on the occasions that I detect any fall off in quality, as this contains the actual print head. I have also re filled the Epson Black one when stuck.

maggioneato
10th May 2003, 04:06
Whirly, I bought a lot of compatibles at a computer fair,they are ok as long as you don't want to use them for printing photographs, the colours are not quite as good.

Ronbmy
10th May 2003, 07:15
Never bought an original Epson cartridge, I only use compatibles.

The quality of the ink can vary greatly between cartridge manufacturers, as you would expect, but with some producers there is no consistency between batches of ink.

The most consistent that I have found is jet tec. The colours are not quite as bright as epson but at the trade price I pay I do not care.

The cx5200 uses chipped cartridges which need to be reset if you decide to refill them. If you want a link to the required info let me know & I'll pm it.

spekesoftly
10th May 2003, 08:10
Our family regularly uses re-cycled ink cartridges in four different HP printers, and so far no real problems. Print quality is just as good as the HP 'originals'. In the early days I was also a little reticent to experiment, but the huge cost saving won the day.

Basil
19th May 2003, 23:58
I've a Lexmark 7000 using 12A1970 & 12A1980 cartridges.

I've tried refilled non-OEM cartridges including those branded and sold by a well known high street newsagent. Regret to say they don't work properly and have now reverted to paying extortionate price of OEM units :{

newswatcher
20th May 2003, 00:04
Basil, I use these guys for my 7200. They are usually cheaper, and the quality is good.

http://www.mx2.co.uk/acatalog/MX2_co_uk_Lexmark_Compatible_Ink_19.html

Basil
20th May 2003, 18:48
newswatcher,
many thanks; the black OEM's esp good price. :ok:

amanoffewwords
20th May 2003, 19:13
I use compatible cartridges from www.viking-direct.co.uk - very good prices and free same-day delivery in certain areas (next day free for others). I'm on my 9th HP 840c compatible cartridge with just one minor problem on one so far...

ck4707
20th May 2003, 20:25
Currently print using an HP 720 and an Epson Stylus 1520.

After trying Dabs, Misco, Simply et al found the cheapest and best are PC World's own (yellow and green box).

Never had one fail and colours are good (wife is an art teacher doing an MA and they are good enough for her work)

CK

newswatcher
20th May 2003, 20:52
ck4707, thanks for your comments on PC World. Cannot find Lexmark 7200 compatibility for their "own" brand on their internet site, but for HP 700,800, & 1100 MX2(see previous post) are only £1 more expensive that PCW own brand for HP original! Also MX2 have no UK shipping charge during May(normally £1.95).

PS - I don't work for MX2!