PDA

View Full Version : The Orange Ad

Parapunter
9th May 2003, 21:57
Is it just me who finds this hilarious?

I'M A HARD NOSED BUSINESSMAN.

I love the way he harangues his nine year old son, who eventually triumphs by wacking a tennis ball on to his metal nose to which he comically staggers off shouting "Right, that's enough for today"!

I sometimes really, really wish I worked on these ad shoots.

Grainger
9th May 2003, 22:13
I have to say that of all types of adverts ones for mobile phones are amongst the most annoying and inane. The "pillow fight" one defies belief - what the hell is going on there ????.

Listen - we've all got s*dding mobile phones already ! Everyone that wants one has got one by now, so what's the point of advertising the damn things ?????

Elvis21
9th May 2003, 22:47
couldn't agree more Parapunter. Always gets a laugh at my place

"Slacking Jennings, Slacking":p :p

Ozzy
9th May 2003, 23:10
Well the point of the advertising is to get you to switch carrier, or "churn" as the industry calls it. The market is saturated, so the only way carriers can grow is to steal subscribers, ergo the inane advertising. Of course once you've got the phone you can start the following conversation: "Hello? Is that the North Malden Icelandic Society? "

gotcha!!

Ozzy

Grainger
9th May 2003, 23:54
Perhaps it's true that the waves from mobiles are harmful and do turn your brains to spam, so the adverts have to reflect that in their intellectual level.....

Hufty
10th May 2003, 00:13
Did anybody see that thing on TV last week - 100 Greatest Adverts. Sometimes the ads are better than the programmes!

Top one was the Guinness advert with the surfers.

I find the mobile ads with the "are you ashamed of your mobile" theme terribly funny. I think it is the Carphone Warehouse. They have one I haven't seen on TV but did see at the cinema - a vet shoves his handset up a cow's ar5e when somebody comes over! Priceless

In trim
10th May 2003, 00:39
Best advert on TV at the moment?

Has anyone seen the full length Honda (Accord?) advert? "Isn't it great when everything just works". I've only seen the full-length one on cable TV but it's fantastic.

Thoughts? Best ad?

Noah Zark.
10th May 2003, 00:48
What gets up my nose is the thought of the likely lump of money some prat is getting for dreaming up some of this advertising dross.
It might be a good idea if the advertisee (?) went walkabout and with their new ad. and asked members of the money-spending public if it really made them want to rush out and buy their product.
They might be upset and enlightened by the replies.

newswatcher
10th May 2003, 00:53
Hufty,

"For Mash get Smash" - one of the most successful campaigns ever!

Biggles Flies Undone
10th May 2003, 00:53
My favourite ad without doubt is the current Peugeot one where the young lad smashes his car about until it looks like a 206. Great characterisation and catchy music - brilliant! :ok:

buvenbee-hind
10th May 2003, 02:09
James Nesbitt in the yellow pages pretend rant at the hairdresser. "SOME EEJIT HAS CUT MY NEICES HAIR...I KNOW YOU HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS...BUT I WANT MY SISTER WHO IS SITTING OUT THERE TO THINK THIS WAS YOUR FAULT...THANK YOU YOU'RE VERY NICE PEOPLE":ok:

Foss
10th May 2003, 04:26
I thought the Indian bashing a car ad was great at first, but now I think it's very demeaning.

The Vodafone ad (?) with the baby's head pictured everywhere. Didn't understand it but the music by Royskopp was superb.

Used to design ads a long time ago.

Fos

maxman
10th May 2003, 04:30
Hufty.
Yep, saw the one with the cow, at the cinema too, nearly fell out of me seat.:) :) :) :)

Capn Notarious
10th May 2003, 05:57
The one where the short wheel base, using a winch on the front pulls itself up the side of a dam.
The wife hasn't bought me one: I wish to register a complaint.

witchdoctor
10th May 2003, 21:58
Hufty

Ad was for Phones4U........we've got the right phones for you!

Foss

It was t-mobile, but thank God they got rid of Agassi and Graf for at least one advert. Great music though.

Oh dear, I think I'm turning into an advert anorak!

Favourite Orange ad with the hard-nosed businessman is the two lines ad, one for business ("employee #### take Monday off".....employee stands up and jumps up and down excitedly in background), and one for pleasure ("because you're fired!"....employee dragged off by two bouncers). Most amusing.