PDA

View Full Version : Scafell PIke

Elvis21
9th May 2003, 17:10
Going up the Pike this weekend and never done any walking before. Is it ok, good scenery, easy going etc

Cheers

Elvis

BlueDiamond
9th May 2003, 17:43
It should be a nice day out ...

Unless Dinsdale Piranha nails your head to the coffee table first!

tony draper
9th May 2003, 18:26
Climbed it when I was about eight, if its your first time, best start from the top and walk down.
:rolleyes:

Biggles Flies Undone
9th May 2003, 18:43
Good hit Bluey! Presume you are referring to 'The Other, Other, Operation' ;)

Foss
9th May 2003, 18:55
It's great Elvis. Just take it slow, and you'll get there.
Fos

Big Tudor
9th May 2003, 18:56
Elvis

Not the easiest walk in the world. The routes are rough and shingly. If it's a nice day then the views from the top are excellent. Mist / low cloud make it all a bit of an anti-climax. Let us know how you get on. :ok:

Rollingthunder
9th May 2003, 19:49
Make sure you have the proper boots.

not python

Send Clowns
9th May 2003, 20:43
There are many trees up there, though you will mainly see the Larch ...

Elvis21
9th May 2003, 21:41
aahh, you can always rely on PPRuNe.

Will let you know how I get on on Monday.

Cheers for the advice RT. I have got some new boots that I have been wearing in all week.;) Hopefully no blisters for me:{

Biggles Flies Undone
9th May 2003, 21:51
Yangtse Kiang
Flowing from Yushu down Ching Kiang
Passing through Chung King, Wuhan and Hoo Kow
Three thousand miles, but it gets there somehow

Can you see that from up there?

Tricky Woo
9th May 2003, 22:50
Swiss mountains point and laugh at British peaks...

Make sure you wear a stout pair of walking sandals. Oh, and take a flask of tea. And ham sandwiches. Watch out for the rocky scrambly bit near the top. Yer can break a nail there, if you're not careful.

TW

Foss
10th May 2003, 02:19
er..I'd bring a leatherman too in case you need to hack off an arm.
ouch :sad:

invalid entries
11th May 2003, 18:08
Yeah!! You try that with a pineapple down your windpipe!!

tony draper
11th May 2003, 18:13
Would a broken nail merit a helicopter ride and a shot of morphine Mr Woo?
:rolleyes:

Tricky Woo
11th May 2003, 18:27
Went hiking up Blencathra donkey's years ago, Herr D, when I was an 18 year old slip of a lad.

My then 17 year old girlfriend managed to break her nail scrambling up a rocky slope. I managed to save her life by a rapid application of mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. Fearing that her pulse had weakened, I attempted to massage her heart back into life. Confused as to the exact location of her heart, I massaged both sides of her ribcage, just to be on the safe side.

Suitably encouraged as to my paramedic skills, I attempted an internal examination. That's when my exploratory dalliance in the medical profession was brought swiftly to an end.

Damn damn damn.

It took ages for the swelling to recede.

TW

tony draper
11th May 2003, 18:58
We had a teacher called Mr Masterman, a native Cumbrian, he took about twenty of us nippers to the Lakes for a month,we walked and climbed everything in sight, all dressed in gym shorts tee shirts and plimsols, with a little white cloth bag for our jam sarnies and boiled egg, yers, we didn't need all this fancy arctic mountaneering kit in those days,we was dead ard we was.
Mr Masterman weighed about 22 stone, so we thought it would be a doddle walking uphill with him,we was very wrong, the man was a human billy goat.
Mr Masterman was one of those great teachers you remember all your life.
:)

X-QUORK
11th May 2003, 23:31
Will be doing the Pike myself at the end of the month, aswell as Ben Nevis and Mount Snowdon....in 24 hours !

Can't believe I got roped in to doing the Three bloody Peaks bloody Challenge :uhoh: !

Elvis21
12th May 2003, 17:00
Well, I made it back in one piece.
Had a fantastic day and the views from the top were amazing. We got to the top and then went over and up Great End. The whole round trip and back to the pub at the bottom took about 6.5 hrs.

Going back again in 2 weeks to do the Horse Shoe, then Ben Nevis and may even attempt some of the highe rSwiss ones before the year is out.

tony draper
12th May 2003, 17:32
Watch those Swiss mountains,when you are on your way up, yer liable to meet the odd exe Mancunian on the way down.

Onan the Clumsy
13th May 2003, 01:37
It took ages for the swelling to recede.

I would have thought the normal ninety seconds would have handled it.

X-QUORK
3rd Jun 2003, 19:55
Did the Three Peaks 24 hour challenge this weekend :

Ben Nevis - 5 hours

Scafell Pike - 4 hours 45 minutes

Snowdon - 3 hour 40 minutes

It was harder than I'd imagined, not helped by the complete lack of sleep between climbs. Still, I've ticked it off the list....no need to do that one again !!:ugh:

Elvis21
3rd Jun 2003, 21:10
X-Quork, sounds tough.
I though I had it bad. I did a thing called the Horse Shoe in the Lakes that was much garder than when I went up Scafell Pike.

Sound slike a walk in the park comapred to what you did. Nice weekend for it though. I reckon I am getting the outdoor bug.

We even managed to do some "screeing" down about 1000 ft, which was great fun:p :)

Big Tudor
3rd Jun 2003, 22:03
X-QUORK

I'm doing the same thing next weekend. Let me know if you've lost anything and I'll see if I can find it for yer! ;)

X-QUORK
3rd Jun 2003, 22:23
Big Tudor,

Only things I've lost are the use of my legs and a few pounds in weight.

Best of luck with your event, let us know how you get on.

Regards,

X-Q.