PDA

View Full Version : Logging cross-country time

Martin1234
9th May 2003, 08:07
What do the JAA regs say about when you can log a flight as a cross-country?

vorticey
9th May 2003, 17:12
mmmm, this is a hard one. getting out of the training area would be a good start though.;)

BEagle
9th May 2003, 18:09
A croos-country flight is defined as "Any flight during the course of which the aircraft is more than 3 nautical miles from the aerodrome of departure."

Presumably that means geographically; climbing to 18000 ft in the overhead won't count!

StrateandLevel
10th May 2003, 00:11
The JAA don't say anything about cross country flights other than that for certain licensing requirements, you must have so many hours cross country.

The legal definition of 3 nm from the arerodrome is with respect to the privileges of the AFI and FI(R) ratings, with regard to solo cross country authorisation.

For a cross country flight to be counted for licensing purposes it must either go from A to B where the distance is such that some navigational skills are exercised i.e in excess of 15 minutes crusing flight time would be an absolute minimum. Alternatively, it should be a route with defined turning points. CAP53/54 clearly stated that all turning points on a navex should be logged.

There is no legal definition, but what you do, must be reasonable if it is to be accepted.

SASless
10th May 2003, 12:44
Does Yeager and Rutan's flight a few years ago count....took off and landed at the same airport.....circumnavigated the world without landing or refuelling....six day trip. Base course remained the same.....not an out and back or three legged circuit.

StrateandLevel
11th May 2003, 01:07
Interestingly, it would not count as a qualifying cross country for a PPL or a CPL!

I thought they just got airborne and hovered till the World came round again!

SASless
11th May 2003, 08:53
Str8....except for having had some experience with the brain dead bureaucrats that inhabit some of the places we Gentlemen and Ladies of the Air have to deal with....I would dispute you. However, I know you are too correct. One small minded moron (is that redundant?) near a London pub one time suggested all my US Army flying time was not acceptable for qualifying for an ATPL (or a Commerical License as a fact) due to it not being in a proper logbook and duly blessed by every lucky person that I had ever known in the flying world. The US Army used computer records and thus were merely afixed within a folder . After a very remarkable Ugly American Act (I swear I was acting!) and the arrival of several senior Crats.....with a very subdued and submissive explanation for the Wobbly.....much muttering...and several trips by various Crats to the nether reaches of the building....they finally agreed to "just this once" accept the records. "Humble" performed convincingly and at the right time....with an appreciative audience works miracles!

I would love to see the discussion though....I swear someone would take the position....since no turning points...no landings...and only the one aerodrome being used.....nah...even the Birks at the CAA are not that boneheaded. (are they?)