PDA

View Full Version : Tornado in Baghdad

Stray Fin
9th May 2003, 05:27
Heard today that a GR4 with an engine fire diverted into Baghdad international :ooh: much to the bemusement of the Americans there. Hear the crew are OK. Can the Ali clan give any more info? I Pity the gingers driving a wag full of bits to that one!

GLOC
9th May 2003, 08:46
Its OK, the Ozzy Air Force ATC are controlling Baghdad International now so they would have been in good hands.

:ok:

Mach the Knife
9th May 2003, 11:27
Ha! If they got into the airport without being dicked around by the flight prevention branch I can only assume that all the controllers were off duty and the airfield was MBZ.

Ex Douglas Driver
9th May 2003, 11:42
Damn, been beaten to the barbed comments about the level of RAAF ATC!!:E :E

Fox3snapshot
9th May 2003, 12:43
I'm watching you buddy....don't forget your first shout in July!

As it is, once again, the request from the US that the RAAF provide ATC services I think it shows the RAAF ATC has earnt the respect it deserves, especially after Somalia......if I may say so myself! The guys and gals on the job in Baghdad will offer first class service, even to a broken down Tornado.

Somalia was the first deployment into an operational theatre for the RAAF ATC post Vietnam era. Then came Timor, now Iraq....where next??? Its Ok, I have Eastern Arabia sorted, no room at the pool bar for anyone else.

Now EDD if you don't mind I have to get back to my rum and "diet coke" and try and find some constructive posts.

:E

Fox3snapshot
10th May 2003, 11:45
Whatever GLOC said is true!

:E

ASRAAM
11th May 2003, 05:32
I'm sure the Tornado crew were massively relieved to hear the Aussie twang as they spoke to Baghdad. Bearing in mind the alternative.........USAF ATC

KPax
11th May 2003, 06:00
I thought RAAF ATC was mainly made of ex Brit ATC. As everyone knows aircrew don't fly unless they are told 'clear take off'. And still they get paid for doing nothing. Ah well.

Fox3snapshot
11th May 2003, 07:10
ASRAAM - Totally Agree!

Kpax - You have no idea, Brit ATC in the RAAF...uuhhhh NO.....OK I conceed they have one exchange Officer at the School of ATC in Sale, but that is so he or she can go back to UK with some 'spiffing" ideas on on how to control aeroplanes (please note the spelling of aeroplanes there!). And unfortunately, as for the rest of your post, I will let the GD branch or aviators sort you out on that one.

:hmm:

Gnadenburg
12th May 2003, 16:12
I was flying over Saudia Arabia at the time and copied the MayDay call. We waited a minute and notified Saudi ATC.

Saudi ATC looked for clarification from other aircraft about 5 minutes later. Amazingly, some local airlines had copied the Mayday but failed to report it!

We assumed the crew may have ejected but about 10 minutes after the initial Mayday we copied a second. This time the aircraft was overhead Bagdad at 8000' requesting and emergency landing.

Glad all is well.