PDA

View Full Version : Airline Ads - your favourites! (and not so favourites!)

brockenspectre
9th May 2003, 06:07
OK

I have just been watching a BMI advert on television and decided that it really doesn't cut it - a bird that is hesitant to fly, lands and drunkenly staggers sideways on a branch? Nah .. not effective!

Virgin - its been a while but the one where pax are picked up by a limo and checked in ... pretty neat...

BA still think the eye (made up of lots of folks in white, blue etc all walking ashore) was the best ...

These are the airline ads that spring to mind - what are your favourites (and not so favourites) and why!

:D

Biggles Flies Undone
9th May 2003, 06:22
The one for PLF... or was it PF for the L of P... oh no, he's over there....

Onan the Clumsy
9th May 2003, 13:20
Just saw (another) great one for SWA. A bloke's in his office with a female coworker working on a laptop and says "I've been meaning to say how beautiful you look lately" She blushes and replies "I've had feelings for you for a while too Ken" He then looks up and says "I beg your pardon?" It's only then that you can see he's using the hands free headset for his mobile.

The voiceover says: "Want to get away?"

Very well done.

Goldstone
10th May 2003, 06:18
THE best of all times was the "Wish they all could be Caledonian Girls" ad (for you younger ones, it was sung to the tune of the Beach Boys "Wish they all could be California girls"). Classic!

Wedge
10th May 2003, 06:52
Wow Goldstone.......I was just about to mention that one then I scrolled down and saw your post. It has to go down as one of the best adverts of all time, since I was about 8 years old when it came out and I still remember it so well!

The BA advert in the late 80s where they got those hundreds of people standing together to create huge colourful images in exotic locations is also very memorable........must have cost a fortune to make.

ZK-NSJ
10th May 2003, 09:43
i used to liek the british airways add of about 10yrs ago, the enya song was playing in the background i think

and then the qantas add, from auckladn to ayers rock, from christchurch to cairsn etc sung to the tune of i still call australia home

Huck
10th May 2003, 11:11
Jet Blue runs a great one in Los Angeles: an airline pilot walks out of his house to go to work. His son follows him out on the front porch.

"Daddy, when I grow up, I want to be an airline pilot just like you!"

"Well, son, you'll have to work real hard and score well in school...."

"Because I want to fly brand-new aircraft with leather seats and in-seat entertainment with cable TV!"

"Well, son, to do that you'll have to fly for Jet Blue. I don't fly for Jet Blue."

(sobs: )"Now I know why mommy left!"

Loki
10th May 2003, 17:23
Goldstone:

Yes , me too. I thought "Airline Ads" and two immediately sprang to mind. Caledonians tongue in cheek ad was indeed a classic.

Maybe it was extracting the michael of other ads like Singapore Airlines one which extolled to great effect the charms of their cabin staff (that`s the other one I remember)

rustle
10th May 2003, 19:15
How about worst airline ad...

Cathay Pacific - "You'd have to be bonkers, not to go via Hong-kers" :rolleyes: (and the "jingle" was awful too :yuk: )

Advertising their Australia/Europe routes via Hong Kong...