PDA

View Full Version : What's the Gen?

Schrodingers Cat
9th May 2003, 02:25
So what IS happening to you guys in the SAR......? Are things getting better or what?:confused:

Rockhound
9th May 2003, 03:08
Yeah, good question, Cat, I've been wondering about that myself (I presume you're not referring to search and rescue). One look at the Arrivals and Departures boards on the HKG airport Website and you guess it must be freight movements that keep the place open. Yet, as usual on PPrune, debate on SQ's troubles - from involuntary unpaid leave to pod scrapes at DEL - bubbles on but hardly anyone has anything to say on CX's situation, which surely must be worse than parlous. We can only hope there's a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.
Rockhound

Dixi Normus
9th May 2003, 09:55
Unpaid leave is a reality now at CX and perhaps KA................can furloughs be far behind??? The once mighty economy engine of Hong Kong has been turned into a tiny two-stroke putt-putt! Can CX and KA sustain their fleet expansion?

Snake Hips
9th May 2003, 12:18
Pretty awful. Lots of aircraft parked (CX and KA) with appalling
load factors still the order of the day despite massive reductions in frequency. I saw a CX flight to Seoul this morning with less than 40 pax. The WHO travel advisory appears to be deterring even transfer pax who are unwillling to 'risk' a transit via HKG.
Hopefully this is short term as the place is probably safer than your local ER room these days.

Schrodingers Cat
9th May 2003, 17:06
I suppose if I had spent all that money persuading the 'orrible mouse to come from California, and the'orrible Olympics to come in 2008, I would be trying to supress all the bad news I could too.

Whats happened to the housing market, is it stabilized yet?:ouch:

Captain White
12th May 2003, 11:31
:{
The so called leader and Government are a prime example of Nero fiddling while Rome burned !!!

The Finance guy buys a new Car & then raises car tax. Anywhere else is the sack & perhaps Fraud but Oh NO ... not in Hong Kong !
It was an 'error of judgement' :yuk:

The housing sector was always artificial. The previous administration only sold 5o Ha of land annually to maintain value due to lack of groundspace ...... guess what !!! When the admin changed and that rule disappeared the supply went up .... DUH !
Prices fall !!! Its called Capitalism & the free flow of Capital results ! :ok:

Hong Kong property prices are still ludicrously high compared to anywhere else comparable and there is nothing to change the fundamentals so WHY SHOULD THE PROPERTY MARKET STABILISE ??? It must continue to fall ....

Hong Kong will continue suffering in spite of its excellent businesses, determined workforce, acceptable taxes & brilliant geography because it is a ship without a helm .... :{

I just visited and unfortunately all my mates are suffering:uhoh: & nobody seems to wanna do anything constructive......

"Hong Kong takes your breath away" :E