PDA

View Full Version : ATC delay a/c for the fun of it!

Avman
9th May 2003, 01:48
Had to laugh the other day when Capt Speaking came on the P/A apologizing for the delayed arrival due to "circuitous routing by ATC" (an extended 'S' turn). It might have been friendlier to explain that it was due to sequencing at a busy period instead of making it sound as if ATC do it just for the fun of it. Well yes, OK, we do ;)

fatboy slim
9th May 2003, 03:47
I know for a fact that I've been given a heading that entails extra track miles in order for a controller handover to take place. The other voice came on and turned us back. Not complaining though - you controller types are alright by me.

eastern wiseguy
9th May 2003, 05:39
And I have likewise given extra track miles so that the punters in the back can finish their breakfast...so there you have it ...tactical headings all round!:ok:

PAXboy
9th May 2003, 16:47
We probably only need to start worrying when ATC send a/c on specific headings and then ... run outside to see all the contrails spell their name in the sky. :=

Avman
9th May 2003, 17:45
What a :cool: cool idea PAXboy. Must give it a try ;) .

Anthony Carn
9th May 2003, 18:30
Ah, but, Avman, we can get our own back by doing synchronised holding ! Melts a racetrack pattern in the glass on yer radar screen ! :rolleyes: ;)

PA's to pax in the terminal area can be a bit rushed/lacking in preparation, because there's much more important things to monitor. Try doing a PA whilst also listening to ATC. The alternative is to go off radio and lose the two crew monitoring in busy airspace.

unwiseowl
9th May 2003, 18:42
The French are pretty bad too - Has anyone EVER crossed France without being put on a "eding"? Lets face it: "direct BARLU" means "you'll shortly be left thirty for ten minutes"!!! ;)

Airbus Unplugged
9th May 2003, 23:54
Not for the fun of it maybe, but the one thing that REALLY winds me up at LHR is when you call for start:

Are you fully ready?

Very nearly.

Call me back fully ready.

Ready in two minutes.

Call me back fully ready.

Fully ready!

Ten minute start up delay for all Nortbounds.

AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH:{

chiglet
10th May 2003, 02:12
Had something "similar" at Manch recently:rolleyes:
XXX22 ready for Push and Start...no probs
XXX23 ready, but we haven't a tug
XXX24 ditto
XXX25 Double ditto
5 a/c ready, with one tug between them:ok:
we aim to please, it makes the cleaners happy

fireflybob
10th May 2003, 03:00
chiglet, sounds like the same at MAN as circa 10 years ago!!

Spitoon
10th May 2003, 03:31
chiglet, that's weird - I thought it only happened where EZY operated from!

Gonzo
11th May 2003, 03:53
Airbus Unplugged.

It may be annoying, but it's the only way that's fair.

Unless you can think of another way?:D

Gonzo.

Point Seven
11th May 2003, 05:09
Airbus Unplugged

It's not often I agree with Gonzo but he's quite right. The AIP states that you are not to contact Heathrow delivery until you are fully ready. This is because the frequency is monitored and this start up information is displayed at LTCC. If they think that too many are starting for a particular sector, then they will impose an MDI (minimun departure interval). So we regulate this by only passing clearances to fully ready aircraft.

Now, when it's foggy (or windy, or snowy, or raining...) and there are start delays, why shouldn't the queue be in the order of FULLY ready aircraft rather that some sneaky so-and-so's trying to jump it. Believe you me, that annoys us too.

P7

Avman
11th May 2003, 18:01
Sorry guys, but I detest this FULLY ready crap. You're either ready or not. In otherwords do not request any form of clearance unless you are able to comply imediately. Seems simple enough to me.

Gonzo
12th May 2003, 22:59
Point Seven,

Agreeing with me again?:ooh:

Now, when it's foggy (or windy, or snowy, or raining...)

You forgot to add "Or C Watch are working" ;)

Gonzo