PDA

View Full Version : I wanna cordless mouse/keyboard...and I can't!

Whirlybird
8th May 2003, 23:16
Having got a new flat screen and new printer, I decided to complete my update by getting a new mouse and keyboard...the mouse doesn't work very well even when I clean it, and the keyboard is...well, old and tatty looking with the letters rubbed off some of the keys. I decided I fancied cordless ones, and ordered them off the Internet from the company I got my screen from. Well, they arrived today, but wouldn't work. I phoned the company's technical support, and it's because I have an old AT connector for the keyboard, not the newer PS/2 ones. Well, can't I get something to convert from one to the other, I asked? Yes, I can, but it won't work for cordless mice and keyboards even if I do! So, I have it all packed up to return to the company, but I just wondered...is this true? Why, if an adapter exists, won't it work? Or do they mean it just might not. Like when my digital camera said it wouldn't work with Windows 98 upgrade and a USB port you'd put in by yourself...and of course it does. Is this a not so subtle plot to persuade me to buy a new PC? Or is it really true? Because I really really do fancy cordless everything if I can.

amanoffewwords
8th May 2003, 23:59
My logitech cordless keyboard/mouse has a USB to PS2 adapter for the mouse, so it is possible. But AT ports may be a different ballgame. Considering the small cost of the converter it may be worth trying it out anyway - AT keyboards are not widely available from my experience so you may need a converter if you go for a corded keyboard anyway.

Background Noise
9th May 2003, 02:10
You can get (I have got) USB keyboards and USB mice and both can be cordless.

Just one thing to beware of with win 98 and older motherboards/bios is that USB is only supported by windows, not the MB. So if you want to do stuff in DOS or in the bios setup before windows has loaded usb bits won't work so keep your old keyboard as a standby - someone may correct me on this but thats how it works on my son's win98 machine.

Whirlybird
9th May 2003, 02:38
Ah, OK. So let me see if I've got this right. I've already sent back the one I got anyway. So now I need to look for one that has USB attachments for both keyboard and mouse, yes? So far, fine. But this bit about DOS could be a problem. One of the companies I work for has a database I use quite a lot which is DOS; would that mean I'd have to use the old keyboard for that? Well, I suppose I could, bit of a nuisance, but not impossible. Is that what you mean, Background Noise ?

Maybe I should just get new corded ones and be done with it.:(

Background Noise
9th May 2003, 05:37
All I know is that on my son's win 98 computer, if we want to 'press DEL to enter setup' for instance, we can't because the usb keyboard is not recognised at that stage - so we have to plug in a PS2 keyboard for that bit.

Whirlybird
9th May 2003, 17:09
TCS,

The story from Novatech was that for some reason the cordless keyboards won't work if you use an adapter. Corded ones are fine, and they sell the adapters. You'd think they'd know. Well, maybe anyway.

"The ones that come with a new computer" That's another story. I was actually all set to do that. Then the company who I do a lot of work for, and whose database I need, said not to do that, because DOS won't work with Windows XP. So, after raging in fury about Bill Gates (aka God) decreeing that none of us should use DOS any more, I realised all I actually wanted was a new flat screen, a USB port or two, maybe a CD writer, etc etc. For what I need, my actual PC is fine. I'd just been scared to buy bits for it, as I'd never even set one up; this was my first PC, and it was delivered and set up for me, and virtually I'd never touched anything but the keys!!!!! Anyway, I've been replacing things, and all has been fine, and it saved me a lot of money. But it just never occurred to me that something like a connector for a keyboard would have changed in the last four years!!!

BahrainLad
9th May 2003, 18:39
Doesn't Windows XP contain a DOS emulator (for running games?).

If you look here (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/gethelp/appcompat.asp) , the Microserfs reckon you should be able to force WinXP to emulate Win98, and in turn be able to run DOS programs.

Alternatively, drag your company out of the stone age and get them to use Access! ;)

Whirlybird
10th May 2003, 00:17
They'll be dragged kicking and screaming out of the stone age eventually I guess. Anyway, I just got a new very basic keyboard, and an optical mouse (with a cord). A shop with somebody who actually knew something said it was true; if you use an AT to PS/2 adapter with a cordless keyboard you have problems; with this one, it's fine. So I guess I'll stay in the stone age - or maybe bronze age? - for another year or two myself now. ;)

Tinstaafl
10th May 2003, 06:56
I don't think DOS can use USB (including USB keyboards) because it would need a driver (are DOS USB drivers available?) to be loaded after the operating system has started. The catch 22 is that DOS won't load without it recognising a keyboard is attached. During its boot process it looks for certain devices including keyboard & monitor....but until it's running & loaded its device drivers then it can't 'see' a USB keyboard.

Since DOS looks to the keyboard port to find out if a keyboard is present then the next option is to attach a keyboard...

If you can't buy an AT keyboard then perhaps an adapter to convert the current PS2 keyboard to the older AT plug would work.

AT plug -> PS2 keyboard adapters are available for about 3 quid.

Ronbmy
10th May 2003, 07:29
Whirly

Have a read of...

http://www.informationweek.com/story/IWK20021003S0007

and follow some of the links.

You may get it all working but you may not.