PDA

View Full Version : Children answering the telephone.

BlueDiamond
8th May 2003, 21:01
Sometimes I get a little annoyed with folk who let their young children answer the 'phone. They seem to be so proud of their three-year-pld's new-found ability that it prevents them from seeing the problems that may arise.

I rarely make calls from my mobile 'phone (high cost) but I needed to do that yesterday morning. You can imagine how thrilled I was when my call was answered by a very young child whose level of conversation was barely comprehensible. All I needed to do was convey an urgent message to the child's parent but all the child wanted to do was talk.

I caught words like "zoo" and "cat" etc. etc. but could not make the child understand "get Mummy", "get Daddy" or "now." In the end, I terminated the call out of sheer frustration.

How do other PPRuNers feel on this subject? My own opinion is that it is one thing to let a child say a few words on the phone while under adult supervision but it's another thing entirely to let them think that they can answer the phone by themselves. (I'm talking about very young children here, not your average eight year old.)

maninblack
8th May 2003, 21:35
It is a problem when they say irrelevant things such as "Albatross" and "Otter's Noses"

Shaggy Sheep Driver
8th May 2003, 21:42
>
> ((((((((((( ring-g-g-g-g )))))))))))
>
> ***pick up***
>
> "Hello?"
>
> "Hi, honey, this is Daddy" .... "Is your Mommy near the phone?"
>
> "No, Daddy. She's upstairs in the bedroom with Uncle Frank,"
>
> After a brief pause, Daddy says, "But you haven't got an Uncle Frank,
> honey!"
>
> "Oh Yes, I do, and he's upstairs in the room with Mommy, right now!"
>
> "Uh, Okay, then ... here's what I want you do. Put down the phone,
> run upstairs and knock on the bedroom door and shout to Mommy and Uncle
> Frank that Daddy's car's just pulled up outside the house."
>
> "Okay, Daddy!"
>
> A few minutes later, the little girl comes back to the phone.
>
> ''Well, I did what you said, Daddy."
>
> "And what happened?" he asks.
>
> Mommy jumped out of bed with no clothes on and ran around screaming, then
> she tripped over the rug and went flying out the front window and now
she's
> all dead."
>
> "Oh my God!!!!! And what about your Uncle Frank?"
>
> "He jumped out of bed with no clothes on too and he was all scared and
> he jumped out the back window into the swimming pool ...but he must have
> forgot that last week you took out all the water to clean it, so he hit
the
> bottom of the swimming pool and now he's all real dead too."
>
> ***long pause***
>
> ***more pause****
>
> Then Daddy says, "Swimming pool????
>
> Is this 555-7039?"
>
>

SSD

newswatcher
8th May 2003, 21:55
Training your kids to use the telephone properly can be life-saving, and should be encouraged, if the following story is to be believed!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/05/08/nhero08.xml&sSheet=/news/2003/05/08/ixhome.html

You want it when?
8th May 2003, 22:09
You must have a pathetic call package BlueDiamond if you have to worry about the cost of mobile calls. You only have reduce yourself to the childs level to get them to pass the phone, I say reduce unless of course you're FlyingForFun in which case it's a stretch upwards (sorry D.)

I've used the line give the phone to mummy and she will give you a sweet - it works well.

BlueDiamond
8th May 2003, 22:22
There's no need for smart remarks about my financial status, ywiw. Yes, I do need to worry about the cost of mobile calls just as I now need to worry about the cost of just about everything else. Perhaps you are unaware that these things sometimes happen to people?

When you are on the lowest possible mobile phone rate, the calls you make always cost a lot.

You want it when?
8th May 2003, 22:23
Sorry BlueDiamond not meant as a pop at your pocket - hunt around rates are really low. Some people are still paying 25p a minute.

FlyingForFun
8th May 2003, 22:33
I say reduce unless of course you're FlyingForFun in which case it's a stretch upwardsHmm, the phrasing sounds as if I should be insulted by that, but for some reason I'm not... Is being below a child's level supposed to be a bad thing? :confused: :D

FFF
-------------

Monocock
8th May 2003, 22:45
On a similar subject I have one thing that drives me absolutely insane with people on the phone............

It's when the person you are talking to is eating while talking to you. Even worse is when they have finished one mouthful and then you can almost hear them take another one in the middle of the conversation.

I don't know why this annoys me so much. Just thinking about it now is winding me up. :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

BlueDiamond
8th May 2003, 22:51
Please accept my apologies, ywiw, I'm overly sensitive about such things these days. My mobile costs me $AUS10 per month for the service. The calls are a huge 50c per 30 seconds. It's the lowest I can get and I would prefer not to be without it especially when I'm out on my own.

So, when someone's toddler answers the phone, it can be a real problem for me. I have no objection at all to children being taught how to use the phone for an emergency but that is very different from letting them answer it.

Dozza2k
8th May 2003, 23:27
on the other extreme, my ninety year old grandmother (who lives with us) answers our phone sometimes too. This is bad. I love my grandmother in everyway, however when she answers the phone and screams down it (she is tone deaf and refuses to wear a hearing aid) it is not a good experience for the other person trying to reach one of us. However top marks for gran when it is a pesky telesales person :ok:

crispy banana
9th May 2003, 07:35
I let my two yr old answer the phone all the time :E it tends to get rid of the telemarketers that seem to call every evening :ok:......if its someone I know they usually wait for a minute or two for me to answer, or call later :E

:} :rolleyes:

brockenspectre
9th May 2003, 08:42
A couple of years ago I worked as a call-centre travel agent and was paid a v minimum salary - the rest of the pay was based on performance/sales! Needless to say every evening someone would get a little child on the telephone and few of us would be hard-hearted enough to hang up on someone's first venture into telephoning!! hehehehee was so sweet!

just shows that companies need to consider choosing their number based on repetition hhehehehe

:D