PDA

View Full Version : How do I change my printer?

brockenspectre
8th May 2003, 19:29
Hi all

I am getting a new printer as my old one is definitely on its last legs. The old printer is (was) a QMS DeskLaser and the new one is an HP Deskjet 6122. Both operate off a parallel cable. My O/S is Win98.

My question is, what do I need to do to "uninstall" the old printer and "install" the new one when it arrives, hopefully tomorrow.

I was just sitting here getting excited at the thought of a new gadget and realised that in my ignorance I might be overlooking something fundamental!

All advice welcome!!

Thanks.

:D

flynverted
8th May 2003, 19:54
My Computer> Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs. Uninstall printer, then load new printer s/w.

newswatcher
8th May 2003, 19:57
Read the supplied instructions carefully first, then use them if you feel confident. No need to de-install existing printer, unless you realy want to. If all else fails, use "Add hardware" feature in "Settings", but make sure your "new" printer has power, and is attached via said cable.

POP! Good luck!

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
8th May 2003, 20:35
In short, no, you don't need to uninstall the old one :)

brockenspectre
8th May 2003, 20:47
Thanks for replies - I will let y'all know of my success once I have the new printer up and running!!

flynverted
8th May 2003, 20:50
newswatcher and RTFM are correct, you don't need to uninstall the old one, just install new. But IF you want to uninstall the old to free up space, follow instructions I posted.
G/L

Whirlybird
8th May 2003, 23:08
Brocky,

It's easy! Trust me; I'm a total ignoramus where computers are concerned, as a number of the experts on here will probably testify. And I've just got a new all-in-one printer/scanner/copier, and all I did was unplug the old printer, plug in the new one, and follow the instructions for installing it...and it worked. You'll be fine, really.

spekesoftly
9th May 2003, 00:18
After installing the software for your new HP Deskjet, you may have to ensure that it is 'Set as the default printer'. (Apologies if this is too obvious).

Our family now owns four HP printers, and we've always been pleased with them. Good Luck.

brockenspectre
11th May 2003, 03:01
Hi all

My new printer arrived yesterday evening so I decided to wait until this morning to set it up (in case it was complicated). However, I am delighted to announce that I spent precisely 15mins this morning setting the new printer up --- so simple! It is running perfectly albeit more noisily than my late laser printer, and prints so much faster!!

I shouldn't have been too concerned, I have added memory chips, a CD-rom drive and a soundcard to my trusty ole puter in the past but ... every time I am confronted with a requirement to "tweak" it I believe I am about to destroy it and all the data it contains!! Guess I should believe in myself a little more but ... now you guys have proved so reassuring I will prolly always do the "double check with proon techies first" routine!!

Thanks again!!