PDA

View Full Version : Jet Set Pets

PAXboy
8th May 2003, 19:06
A friend sent me this, so am not sure of source but story was issued this morning, 8th May 2003. Basically, VS are seeking pax taking advantage of the change in quarantine regulations on pets.
=============

By mid-May, Virgin Atlantic will bring in "bone-us miles" and "frequent feline" services following the Government's introduction of its pet travel scheme, regulating the unquarantined entry of cats and dogs into the UK.

The Virgin pet service will initially operate on flights between Los
Angeles and Heathrow and could be extended to include the rest of America, Japan, Antigua and Barbados by January next year.

"On average 250 cats and dogs travel to the UK from the US each month and I hope that we will see this figure double as more airlines sign up to the scheme," Virgin chairman Sir Richard Branson said.

"As we expect some pets to be regular travellers with us we'll be introducing a special `pet miles' section of the airline's Flying Club to reward frequent flying animals.

"We are talking to a number of reward partners and hope to offer special treatments and pampering weekends - just like our flying club for human travellers."

Animals must also have a Pets certificate - or "pet passport" and not have travelled outside approved countries in the last six months.

Sir Richard added: "I am pleased to offer our passengers the chance to take their pets away with them on holiday or bring them back home after a period of living abroad."

The_Banking_Scot
9th May 2003, 02:01
Hi paxboy,

It is now on the VS press release site ( link below);

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/press_release.view.do?press_id=1575

Regards

TBS

SixStarAnsett
9th May 2003, 17:39
This is an interesting concept. Nevertheless quite laughable and distinctly unnerving to me.

What is the world coming to? I don't know what scheme or notion is just around the corner.

First class accomodations for turtles perhaps?

I think this is just scary. And it entertains the concepts some people have.

I can just imagine it now:

"Oh yes my darling, my adorable sweetheart FuFuFah just jetted into the jetport direct from Hollywood. ~~~First class, of course!"

The levels of "affectation" and "glamour" (ha, how pathetic are they) some people have is really sickening.

SixStarAnsett

PAXboy
9th May 2003, 19:56
Don't worry SSA, I think they intend that pets will travel in the hold as always. It's just adding FFMs so that regular travellers will be able to redeem those miles against the freight charges for handling live animals. (Or dead ones, if the heating fails :rolleyes: )

Pandora
12th May 2003, 15:47
Having seen the look of terror on ALL the animals faces I have ever transported as they were sent up into the hold I don't think I would be taking any pet of mine on a long haul holiday just for the fun of it. It is a scary and alien environment for animals - the extreme noise, smells and darkness can't be fun.

I imagine it will mostly be used by rich people who need their animals as an emotional crutch for themselves without any thought for whether their pet is enjoying it.

As a slightly more amusing aside, I know a captain who once let all of the guide dog for the blind puppies out into the cabin that were in the hold once all the pax had disembarked, and then couldn't get them all back in the cage again.

PAXboy
13th May 2003, 02:09
Pandora - I agree!

About 20 years ago, I took two cats on a domestic from LHR to IOM on a Viscount. This a/c had a luggage hold in the tail that was accessible from the galley in flight. Animals were stored in there.

Upon boarding, we had agreed that we would be able to check on them during the flight. Two VERY unhappy cats. The poor things were cold, despite the blankets and hotwater bottle, as the (promised) heating seemed non-existant. The noise and strange change of altitude all in darkness.

We had to take them with us due to a number of reasons but we never did so again.