PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Distance.... with a full time job

mintfavour
1st Sep 2001, 22:00
Im considering a ATPL distance learning course at Bristol. I would like to here some feed back from anyone who have or doing a distance learning ATPL course as well as keeping there full time job, Like how they are coping, how many hour a day/week is necesary etc.

As unfortunatley I can not afford to do the full time study and I need to keep my current job to keep an income and also to pay for my hour building. I am saving the loans etc for the CPL skills and hopefully FI course.

Feed back from Bristol students will be appriciated. Also anyone have any feed back from AFT Distance learning course in coventry, as I was also consdering them as well.????

Cheers

Delta Wun-Wun
2nd Sep 2001, 03:30
In the same boat as you,need to work full time.I work shifts which cover 24/7.Having finished yesterday after 8 straight days including a couple of 12hr shifts,coming home and studying can be a bit of a bind.
I started with Bristol in March.I try and study 3/4 hrs on working days and 5/6 on my days off.So far it has not been too bad ...however there is very little time for anything else.I am lucky enough to have an understanding wife who has accepted that sod all will get done around the house for the next 12 mths...("What do you mean no change there??")...Bristol`s notes are in my opinion excellent......I`ve just recieved an update of the notes that included a complete rewrite of one of the chapters to include more detail on Tacho`s as the JAA thought it would be a nice little wheeze to ask loads of questions about them in the last couple of exams.
People are passing with Distance learning and holding a full time job,but in my opinion you should commit yourself as much as possibe....all guns blazing or you won`t get through.It has not been that difficult so far....but the sheer volume of the amount of material is mind blowing. :)

DiverDriver
2nd Sep 2001, 22:17
I'm also doing Bristol GS Module 1 at the moment as well as being married with 2 young children and like you also working full time. Having never taken any of the exams or even been down for the two week brush up yet its a little difficult gauging if I'm doing ok or not. Having said that Bristol break each module into bite size chunks, which they call, frames with progress tests at the end of each frame (total 14 frames in Module 1). If I use these frames and progress tests as a guide I’m getting through approx 1 frame per week/week and a half (approx 20hrs/week) and with reasonable pass marks. Never the less the problem I am having is that as I stuff the current frame into the old grey matter the frames I studied some 4 weeks ago fall out the other side. Bottom line is if you work full time then like me distance learning is the only viable option and it’s just a case of making the time to study as best you can. Good luck if you decide to go for it.

High Volt
2nd Sep 2001, 22:27
Mintflavour

Did the whole lot by distance '96 - CPL Nav (Bristol)& Tech (PPSC) first then ATPL Nav (PPSC)second - Alex is very good but found PPSC the best for passing CAA exams. GFT's at Bristol then upgrade at Preswick. I was working my nuts off in my day job through the CPL stuff - I have never been so busy in my whole life. Used to get home at 6pm, nosh, work 7-11 every night and all day Sat and Sunday for three months.

I never had any tuition - it is possible, just bloody hard graft. But that is what sorts the men from the boys out and why there is a special job waiting for you at the end of it.

I used to get seriously pissed off with Big Airways cadets at Preswick moaning in the bar about their lousy allowances having gone through what you are going through - my IRT cost me 3 months rent (focuses the mind!).

I spent 25K (2K in CAA fees - bastards) and had no gaurantees about employment and relatives who all thought I was "mad" - all different now though of course with a "top job".

Now a Btitannia FO. Beats working for a living. Keep the faith - there is a tremendous amount of self esteem to be gained by doing it all off your own bat.

Good Luck - Don't give in!

mintfavour
2nd Sep 2001, 22:58
What sort of time span are you people completeing the Distance learning ATPL course?

No one from AFT in coventry yet though... does anyone go there?????

I am very greatful of all the responces so far are, very interesting to see your opinions. Thanks people

FMC=MC2
2nd Sep 2001, 23:04
Hello there,
I've just finnished the ATPL exams by distance through Oxford. I had to split my time between two kids, work and study. It can be done. It took me 8 months so get started and good luck. If you need any help with feedback then give me a message.

Chin Chin

JetFixer
3rd Sep 2001, 03:41
It took me the best part of a year for the CAA ATPL Techs and Navs using PPSC notes. I work a four on four off shift as an aircraft engineer so I do have a lot of spare time to studie. I found the PPSC notes overprepared one for the exams which was a good thing. I had a lot of trouble with the Navs though on the first sitting, found I was running out of time on some of the papers I failed but my marks were in the late 60s early 70s. A brush up course at Bristol gave me good prep for then next attempt I passed all but Met theory. So it can be done, I found the brush up course at Bristol and the attitude of the instructors there to be excellent. I don't know how much relevance this has to the JAR exams. Best of Luck

dakersg
3rd Sep 2001, 12:17
Started at Bristol GS about 1 month ago whilst in a full time (5 days - 8:30-6:00) job. Seem to be doing 4 evenings a week (3hrs), and about 10-12 hours over the weekend. I think its important to take breaks then often come back as it usually seems so much easier to absorb when you are fresh. I'm looking to complete in 6-9 months, which I think is realistic in my circumstances.

I think it depends a little bit on your background education. Good maths and physics grades at O'level/GCSE will definitely help, along with any other familiarity you have with the underlying basics of core subjects.

Most important things you need are determination and commitment, and if applicable, a very understanding partner as there won't be much time left for them.

As high volt suggested, doing it whilst on a full time course is one thing, doing it whilst dealing with a job and everything else is another matter, and will sort the men from the boys.

As for Bristol, I can only say good things about them so far. This includes the quality of material, assistance with scheduling and the overall setup.

It'll be a long slog, but if you want it enough you'll manage it. Good luck!

Rote 8
3rd Sep 2001, 18:52
Another with Bristol working full time. I try and do 4hrs a day but over the last fortnight have not met that target. Only really do a couple of hours over the weekend but then I dont expect to finish the course in 6 months, more like a year.

The results received at the end of each frame progress test seem encouraging but I just cant imagine being able to recall material that I am covering at the moment during the examinations. Generally speaking the material is not too complicated but there is an immense amount to absorb and a great deal to learn rote.

A lot of people seem to feel that you need to have 150 hours before you start the course. I dont have this and I am also building hours at the weekends when weather permits, hence I am in no huge hurry
to finish the course in 3 months.

Cheers

EGDR
3rd Sep 2001, 19:48
I've just done some of the ATPL exams after studying with Bristol and got good results. As far as I'm concerned Bristol is the 'dogs nuts'. All the guys & gals there are top notch, you'd be crazy to go anywhere else.

Rob 747
3rd Sep 2001, 19:57
I thought about D/L but it just doesnt doesnt seem right for me!

In my 'OPINION' i would be better doing the G/S full time.
So im off to ATA!!! :D :D :D :D