PDA

View Full Version : Struck by Lightning?

spudskier
8th May 2003, 12:37
Been reading up on lightning and wondered how many people reading this have, or know someone who has been struck by lightning. (lotta thunderboomers around here lately)

Where, when, and how badly hurt were they?

Slasher
8th May 2003, 14:59
I average about 2 lightning-strikes every monsoon. Never been struck while actualy inside a thundery, usualy on the down-wind side while dodging (when theres enough room to dodge!).

Tend to be struck just under my left sliding-window (737). Hell of a bloodey bang and a heart-stopper to anyone not used to it.

Only fall-out Ive experienced is a genny thrown of the bus and maybe a HF goes U/S. One time the No1 ADF went tits-up.

Anthony Carn
8th May 2003, 16:24
Only struck in aeroplanes. When ATC won't/can't allow a turn to avoid CB's.

Hollow "POP!" like a light bulb imploding, but much louder, bright fuzzy blue "flame" effect, seemingly filling the cockpit, smell of electrical sparks (ozone?). Temporary loss of vision, especially at night.

Slight pock marks on external paint, no injury. Occasional compass/ADF errors. A need to write it up in the Tech. Log. !

Cabin Crew have told me of "ball lightning" in the cabin. I'd love to see that, never have !

You probably mean exposed individuals struck by lightning. Never happened to me, sorry. Don't you wish. :p

topcat450
8th May 2003, 17:42
I've read a safety report invoving a F/O who burnt his arm after a lightening strike...he was resting it by the window...aparantly that's where the strike hit... :ouch: not a good end to your day.

maninblack
8th May 2003, 18:19
I assume it would go voom just like it had 4000 volts up it.

under_exposed
8th May 2003, 18:29
I would have expected those who work near trees would be at high risk but I'm a lumber jack and I'm ok.

maninblack
8th May 2003, 18:32
Was that the worst job you ever had.....sorry, wrong reference.!
:ok:

henry crun
8th May 2003, 19:54
A while back a German tourist in New Zealand was struck by lightning twice in a couple of weeks.

He survived but it was reported that he had a ringing in the ears.

topcat450
8th May 2003, 21:28
I also know a guy who used to work on the buses taking ad giving out tickets...he was a very grumpy chap and we were all gleaful when we heard he'd been struck by lightening.

He still turned up to work the next day..I was a bit surprised and said "how come your at work...didn't the lightening strike injure you"....he replied 'Nahhh....I'm a bad conductor you see"

:O

I'll get me coat....

spudskier
8th May 2003, 22:36
actually, the question HAD been about persons actually struck by lightning but I'm actually getting to be more interested in aircraft struck while flying...

I know a lot are struck on the ground... this one had a strike on the top of the tail a few months ago.... it's been sitting there forever (pic before strike)

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/100831/M/

have the story on that plane, but that's for another thread.

SixStarAnsett
9th May 2003, 00:27
I live in Townsville, Australia, and I seem to remember a worker at the airport being struck by lightning once.

It was in the days when the DC9s serviced (so probably 70s to mid 80s). Dunno what airline it was.

I am pretty sure it was a DC9 (maybe a 727, too long ago) craft that had just landed (at night) and there was a lot of rain and that. Anyhow, the food truck had pulled up at the just arrived jet and was in the process of unloading all of the empty trays etc. Lightning struck the tail of the aircraft, and the current was channeled down and threw the guy from the gangway onto the tarmac. I think he was killed, but I'm not sure.

Anyhow, at the airport in the crew rooms and operations offices there are these posters warning against the dangers of thunderstorms and aircraft, and how it is best to work in the conditions.

SixStarAnsett

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/066019/L/

redsnail
9th May 2003, 01:06
Close, but close enough.
Up in the Kimberley region of Western Aus they get some serious kick ass thunderies.
I'd been out for a run and popped in to see a mate. It was raining pick handles and lots of lightning zapping around. He offered to give me a lift in his car.
I hopped out and as I was closing the metal gate it hit. All I remember seeing(??) was an unbelievable bright flash and I couldn't let go of the gate. In fact, the electric shock pulled me onto the gate. I remember feeling a pulsing sensation and I couldn't let go. There were at least 4 "pulses" before I could let go. I screamed my lungs out and ran into the house.
I was shaking for ages and my hands looked like they had been scalded.
For days my arms, chest and back ached like crazy. Worse than any exercise regime has ever done. My hands peeled and I had bruising from when I hit the gate.

I think the lightning actually hit a little way away but the metal gate (and fence) plus all the water around conducted the electricity. I just happened to be touching the gate at the wrong time. The only thing that has intrigued me was I heard nothing.

Rollingthunder
9th May 2003, 03:42
Apparently the worst thing to do if caught out on the golf course during an electrical storm is to lie flat on the grass. Leaves me wondering what the best thing to do is. shake the club at the heavens... open the umbrella.. make for the very tall trees(here).

not python

redsnail
9th May 2003, 05:07
I've heard that crouching down is the go. One of the worst things is taking big steps because you introduce a large electrical potential if the lightning strikes nearby.
Of course, the best thing is to see the storm coming and get undercover.... (wish I had done that in 1994!!)

T_richard
9th May 2003, 05:12
The best thing to do if you find yourself in the open on a golf course during a thunderstorm is to stand out in the open holding a "one" iron straight up in the air because...

."Even God can't hit a "one" iron:D :D

Bern Oulli
9th May 2003, 05:19
Jet struck by lightning (http://www.strangecosmos.com/view.adp?picture_id=8429)

DCS99
10th May 2003, 07:30
Got struck by lightning as a pax, overwing window seat on a BA 757 LHR to MAN. Big white flash and a bang like someone had set off a firecracker outside my window. It went very quiet as drinks service had been abandoned and everyone was strapped in and being chucked about.

What made it special was the brilliant way the skipper handled it when he come on a short time later "Ladies and Gentlemen, when we land in Manchester in 10 minutes time, you'll be able to tell ALL your friends you've been struck by lightning today! It's perfectly safe and everything's fine here in the cockpit etc etc. Cabin Crew, 10 minutes to landing that's 10 minutes to landing".

I smiled and I noticed others were laughing with relief. Give that Captain an "Award for Excellence" if they stil have them.

Anthony Carn
10th May 2003, 16:11
Give that Captain an "Award for Excellence".......

In my outfit you've got more chance of being struck by lightning ! :rolleyes:

tony draper
10th May 2003, 18:14
The fear of being struck by lightning is called Astraphobia,
I find a tinfoil cap worn when outdoors not only prevents messages being beamed into me head by those folks from Beta Reticulum it also protects the noggin from random lightning strike.

:E

witchdoctor
10th May 2003, 21:43
When I wor nobbut a lad,

Our PE teacher at school had a pretty close call along very similar lines to Redsnail. We were all out on the playing field on a typical English summer afternoon for PE (cold, cloudy and potentially very wet) and he was teaching us how to throw a javelin (not the fighter type), when there was a bright flash.

Seems the javelin he was holding had been struck by lightning. Fortunately it was pointy end in the ground at the time, and he was holding it by the binding. However it was humming and vibrating after the strike. Funny shade of greenish white the old fella turned almost immediately. Just as well he was a bit of a short-arse and we were all only little nippers at the time too.