PDA

View Full Version : What's going on with FLI

fanning
7th May 2003, 21:00
Heard that a new operator is flying and that Island Airlines in Administration, new aircraft fying - does this mean charter flights are operating to Flinders Island again ?

Any word on whats REALLY going on ?

pa31p
9th May 2003, 11:48
Try http://www.airtasmania.com.au for size :ok:

Operating a 15 times weekly return LST-FLS service initially with a fleet of 1 x Cessna 404 Titan, 1 x Piper PA-31-350 Cheuftain and 2 x Piper PA-31-310 Navajo's . . . further expansion is planned . . .

Yes, Island Airlines are in the hands of an adminstrator . . . the notice was in the local rag a coupla weeks ago . . .

fanning
10th May 2003, 09:55
Thanks for that

Airlines of Tasmania, nice to have a familar name back in the air

no herons ?!? :}

D.Lamination
12th May 2003, 09:36
Just had a look at Airlines of Tassie website

Nice paint jobs but none of the A/C has any airframe or prop de-icing - is that a good idea down there??

Mad Mick
12th May 2003, 18:11
They bred us tough down here!!!!
It can get pretty hairy sometimes but it is all about common sense.

gaunty
12th May 2003, 23:40
Hmmmmmm now lets see how the AUSNAS and CASA are going to handle this little one.

Are we doing this VFR or IFR and do we have "positive separation"

No deice gear..... Amaaazing :uhoh:

FZL Autumn, Winter to Spring around A040.:\
Airline routes, navaid specifications at that level???

Radar, yeah right.:{

And in FAR 23 aircraft yet.:eek:

Of course there'll be life rafts as well as jackets, just like the big kids airlines.:sad:

"Hairy" and "common sense" don't belong in the same sentence when it concerns RPT. :mad:

Bit of a bag of worms really.:rolleyes:

Dog One
13th May 2003, 15:18
Its amazing that CASA turn a blind eye to the de-icing requirement, when for at least 6 months of the year, the FZL is below most LSA.

You would think that the Whyalla accident would have taught the regulator a lesson.

VH-OUO
14th May 2003, 10:33
Dog one- last time i checked the whyalla accident had nothing to do with icing. There are frequent icing condition days in VIC, SA and NSW and i can name numererous rpt operators without de-icing equipment in all these states, including tasmania. As with charter, there is nothing compelling the A/C to fly into icing conditions, RPT or not. Just gets back to the rules about not flying into visable moisture in freezing conditions.;) Should they ban charter in winter months down there too 'cos its a bit cold????

Dog One
14th May 2003, 19:04
OUO - the reference to the Whyalla accident was not in respect to ice, but rather the regulator did not require the operator to carry life jackets. A very necessary item once the aircraft ditched!

I would suggest you research some of the early ATSB reports of non deiced equipped aircraft encountering ice. Some of the worst icing encounters I have had, were in some of the areas you mentioned and they were in aircraft equipped with full de-icing.

Some times, especially in Tasmania and Eastern Victoria, the high LSA and the weather set up the scenario, where the only way to the destination is through the weather.