PDA

View Full Version : cant speak german

Foss
7th May 2003, 21:16
Looking for a bit of help.

Reading a book on the history of the Alps. In 1864 a guide called Bennen is climbing Haute de Cry. As he crosses a snow field he spots a crack in the snow uphill of him and realises he is about to die in an avalanche. He turns, faces downhill, arms outstetched, alpenstock cast down and says:

'Wir sind alle verlon.'

What the flipping heck does that mean?
Love to know but the stupid book doesn't translate it and I don't have a translater thing.

Come on, there must be a smarty pants out there.

Thanks
Fos
:hmm:

Negative Charlie
7th May 2003, 21:28
Could it be "verloren" rather than "verlon"?

railwaysengineer
7th May 2003, 21:29
If you read "Wir sind alle verloren", that means "We are all lost now" (We are to die).
One question:
How did you understand the rest of this book without german language knowledge ?
Or do you plan to let us translate it sentence by sentence, one each week for example ?:D

Celtic Emerald
7th May 2003, 21:30
We are all lost

Celloistic
7th May 2003, 21:32
or you could use this...

http://world.altavista.com/

It's not great but it can point you in the right direction :ok:

under_exposed
7th May 2003, 22:02
does anyone know french ?

mon aéroglisseur est plein des anguilles

Ausatco
7th May 2003, 22:18
I cheated. BabelFish says

"My hovercraft is full of eels"!

(Thanks Celloistic ;) )

AA

chippy63
7th May 2003, 22:18
Eh? Quoi?
My glider is full of eels??:confused:
( edited for "hovercraft")

Ausatco
7th May 2003, 22:20
The mind boggles!

AA

Biggles Flies Undone
7th May 2003, 23:14
Oh vous etes mechant! (pousse a coud, pousse a coud, coup d'oeil, coup d'oeil).

Purley, squire? Famous place!

chuks
7th May 2003, 23:25
Surely that should translate as: `I wish to buy some cigarettes.´

Foss
7th May 2003, 23:43
Bloody hell, Go out for lunch and look what happens.
Loads of answers.

'We are lost' seems' to fit the bill.
Thanks all.

If I found myself standing on a slab avalanche, I'd probably be saying something else entirely. And it would be anglo saxon and then I'd have a wee cry.

Don't even start on French, rubbish at that too.

cheers
Fos

HugMonster
8th May 2003, 00:46
Please fondle my buttocks... ;) :}

Celtic Emerald
8th May 2003, 01:20
If I were you, I'd go back to school & study you're German again Hugmonster & make sure the books are censored this time ;)

Emerald

Chaffers
8th May 2003, 01:37
I can't imagine there being a German word for fondle, maybe 'efficient manipulation' or 'ze energetic touching'.

They have no word for fluffy don't ya know?

radeng
8th May 2003, 01:49
A friend of mine claims that all you need to know in any foreign language is:

"Two beers, please and my friend will pay"

Nani
8th May 2003, 02:00
How about this?

EuroEnglish

The European Commission have just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the EU rather than German, which was the other possibility. As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5 year phase-in plan that would be known as "EuroEnglish": --

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make
the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favor of
the "k". This should klear up konfusion and keyboards kan have one less
letter. There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with the "f". This will make words like "fotograf" 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkorage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of the silent "e"'s in the language is disgracful, and they should go away. By the 4th yar, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v".

During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaiining
"ou" and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of
leters. After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be
no mor trubls or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech
ozer. ZE DREM VIL FINALI KUM TRU!

:ok:

flyblue
8th May 2003, 04:51
I am fascinated by this one I once found on a grave:

"Gott weiß warum"

West Coast
8th May 2003, 14:05
"Cant speak German"

Thank a soldier for that.

chippy63
8th May 2003, 17:11
Flyblue,
"God knows why"- yup, weird!

Foss
8th May 2003, 20:04
Went to buy gym shoes in a shop in South Carolina once.
With my Northern Irish accent, the shop assistant thought I was German.
Humph :}

Back on thread, Bennen the guide is still dead and Whymper has killed loads of people climbing back down the Matterhorn... (if anyone's interested)

Fos

flyblue
8th May 2003, 20:42
chippy63,
It's the philosophy behind it I found fascinating. The lady had died young in a car accident, and instead of reflecting only sorrow for a lost life those words also showed acceptance for what had happened and belief in a higher intelligence behind human matters.

chippy63
8th May 2003, 21:15
Flublue,
Yes, I think you've got a point in that interpretation. Or could it be a manifestation of simple bewildered grief. Quite moving, in any case. best regards, chippy.

Charlie Foxtrot India
9th May 2003, 00:39
Talking of Germans:

To do justice to this man, thought by many to be the greatest name in German Baroque music, we present a profile of Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern -schplenden -schlitter -crasscrenbon -fried -digger -dangle -dungle -burstein -von -knacker - thrasher -apple -banger -horowitz -ticolensic -grander -knotty -spelltinkle -grandlich -grumblemeyer -spelterwasser - kurstlich -himbleeisen -bahnwagen -gutenabend -bitte -ein -nürnburger -bratwustle -gerspurten -mit -zweimache - auuber -hundsfut -gumberaber -shönendanker-kalbsfleisch -mittler -aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm

chuks
9th May 2003, 00:50
`Fluffy´ is rendered in German as `flaumig.´

`Ich moechte dein po-backchen streicheln´is what you should say to the tobacconist, since `streicheln´is the equivalent of `to fondle.´

Wonderful things, dictionaries.... I keep mine in a box, along with my viper.

chuks
9th May 2003, 02:24
That is what you get for showing off! At least two major errors in my rendition of `Can I please have a box of matches.´ Drat!

I was in a hurry to go pick up the wife's car from its biennial technical inspection, if that counts as an excuse.

Does anyone know why Marines are like bananas?

I. M. Esperto
9th May 2003, 03:38
"bitte fondle meine Hinterteile "

Rollingthunder
9th May 2003, 03:51
(The cardinals burst in)
Ximinez: NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms - Oh damn!

(To Cardinal Biggles) I can't say it - you'll have to say it.

Hostie from Hell
11th May 2003, 18:44
beware of two words in German :

Vogel, and Veschelen : do not pronounce the first one with a soft "F" instead of the V, and the second with an X sound in the middle...

I wondered why the Swissair captain looked so suprised ! :p

Keef
12th May 2003, 05:57
Erklär' das mir mal, bitte. Ich bin verworren (wie üblich).

Keefchen

yggorf
12th May 2003, 06:43
yes they do have a word for fluffy, it's "werschnederenfiendenbrustenwielenshwank"

Kwasi_Mensa
12th May 2003, 06:57
The German language can be repulsive (Hitler, Goering) and yet incredible beautiful (Rilke, Schiller, Goethe).

Personally I find it a fascinating and expressful language which I love to listen or read

Rose, oh reiner Widerspruch,
Lust,
Niemandes Schlaf zu sein
unter soviel Lidern.

(Reiner Maria Rilke)

PS IMEsperto I didn't know monkeys could speak German?

HugMonster
12th May 2003, 18:23
Sooner or later they'll come up with the works of Shakespeare, won't they? :p :cool:

mad_jock
12th May 2003, 20:15
After 2 years living in the Rhine land.

The Germans could never give me the equivalent to the phrase

"fanny fart"

And anyone who has been offended by swearing in English by telecoms engineers in the Koln, Duss, Aachen area I feel i should appologise for teaching them,although the Dublin lads did have a fair input. You will be able to tell by the use of shite instead of shit ;)

MJ