PDA

View Full Version : A400M to get euro engines

moggie
7th May 2003, 17:04
The announcement on the engine choice for A400M is due today. It's a two-way fight between P&W and a European consortium, including RR and Snecma.

Rumour has it that the euro consortium will get the deal - even though they are "believed" to be more expensive than P&W.

Good point made on the BBC radio this morning was that the Europeans don't want any American kit fitted which would require congressional approval to allow export sales.

Makes sense to me in the light of current "frosty" relations between the US and France/Germany - imagine the US approving the export of American engines on an Airbus when the competing type is a Herc? Yes I know that the Herc has US engines - and more to boot - but who says anyone plays fair here?

sprucemoose
7th May 2003, 18:36
I must be missing something, moggie: even if the Europeans don't want US kit, why is this a valid reason to reject a bid from Pratt & Whitney Canada? They had to pick the European solution because they forced the European companies to come up with a joint bid.

The Gorilla
7th May 2003, 19:03
I shouldn't worry too much if I were you.

The A400M 66 will never fly, no matter what type of engines they put on it!!

:p

moggie
7th May 2003, 20:45
Because P&WC is the candian subsidiary of a US company - United technologies- and as such would require US congressional approval for export sales.

http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1051389805881&p=1012571727092

Plus, as the article says here, there is a need to keep technologies current within your own, home manufacturing base or you lose them forever. Even if the engines cost a little more from EPI you will help keep jobs and taxpayers in Europe, increasing tax revenue for the participating governments.

75% offsets for the P&WC engine is not as good as 100% of the EPI engine when it comes to keeping money "in house".

I maintain that projects like this have two aims: 1) to provide kit for the end user and 2) to look after your own people. Can you imagine the yanks ever buying French engines for Hercs, no matter how good or cheap they might be?

sprucemoose
7th May 2003, 21:40
Good one moggie - I haven't been able to get the phrases 'A400M' and 'export' in the same sentence for a few years now. Perhaps we should just get the launch contract signed before we get too carried away!

moggie
7th May 2003, 22:53
I am, of course, talking hypothetically!!!!

Miracles happens - we may find WMD in Iraq, George Bush may win a REAL election, we may sell Typhoon & A400M overseas and I may one day get to meet the real Father Christmas!!!

Still, I have shares in BAE Systems (given to me by the company - thankfully not bought with my own money!) so i have to wish it the best!

Ian Corrigible
9th May 2003, 07:02
Ironically, the export 'prospect' being pursued most vigorously by Airbus Military Co. of late has been Canada.....:E

recceguy
11th May 2003, 06:13
All of you can laugh about the A400 M.... just the way the yankees were smiling at Airbus at the beginning if the 80s.

It's always wonderful the way some "europeans" submit themselves to american fashions.

BTW, which country did really initiiate the Airbus story 30 years ago? All bids welcome.

moggie
12th May 2003, 05:07
BAC and Aerospatiale first talked about the "Air Bus" for BEA and Air France a LONG time before the A300 ever saw the light of day.

However, BEA/BA always prefered Boeing so got the 737.

Anyway, how about the idea of the A400M bomber? The UK MoD is putting up some cash to evaluate the beast!

BEagle
12th May 2003, 05:38
Forty years ago, the first Airbus appeared. Or rather ‘Air-bus’. This was the Vickers Vanguard which, in 1962 or thereabouts, offered customers the chance to “Fly BEA London-Edinburgh, Glasgow or Belfast for 83/- (That’s £4.15 for younger viewers) Off-peak single fare during April and May, airport to airport, daily flights.”

The Vanguard, according to my 1961 “Boys’ Book of World Airlines” was “The airbus of the future.........” My first ever airline flight was from London to Gibraltar in one in 1963 - I was able to chat to the crew (in those days they wore uniform jackets whilst flying!) which is something 12 year old boys can’t do these days. Such is progress......

Hang on. 83/- in 1963 when a mini cost £500?? That’d be about £120+ these days. So perhaps there has been some progress??