PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Blue Stakes Claim To More Territory

topend3
7th May 2003, 14:09
7th May 2003

Virgin Blue Stakes Claim To More Territory
Low Fare Airline To Fly Darwin-Sydney Direct

Virgin Blue today announced it will launch direct flights between Sydney and Darwin from Saturday June 14, offering a low fare alternative providing a positive stimulus for domestic travel and tourism.

The airline has closely monitored ongoing support for its flights since adding Darwin to its route network and the decision to introduce direct Sydney flights follows strong demand on Virgin Blue’s established connecting service via Brisbane.

The new Darwin-Sydney flights will follow hot on the heels of the June 6 launch of the Alice Springs-Sydney service, taking the number of Northern Territory routes from one to three.

Chief Executive Brett Godfrey said, “Focussing on domestic tourism is clearly the best way to help hotels and operators who are struggling due to events overseas.”

He continued, “In this critical time, we need to do everything we possibly can to make travel more affordable for everyday Australians. With this in mind, we strongly encourage the Government to suspend the Ansett levy and to reign in some of the airports as well as Air Services. These organisations can’t continue to be ambivalent to the issues facing Australian tourism.”

The Darwin-Sydney route was identified as one of the key remaining routes suffering through lack of competition resulting in unjustly high airfares. The low fare carrier has proven that if you keep the fares low, more people will travel.

Staying true to its low fare promise, Virgin Blue will offer a celebration fare of $149* one-way on the net, on sale now until May 18, for travel between June 14 and July 2.

Everyday low fares will start from $229* one-way on the net, with a Fully Flexible fare for $550* one-way 33% less than the competition’s Fully Flexible fare of $831 one way on the net.

Brett Godfrey said, “There was a clear need for affordable, convenient and direct access between Darwin and Sydney and we are happy to be catering to this demand as we strive to cover more territory.”

Virgin Blue is confident the introduction of its 5 weekly flights will not only provide a great shot in the arm for local tourism but will also be a great benefit to Darwin based travellers.

“People in the Northern Territory have always suffered from the tyranny of distance and outrageously high airfares. The introduction of our new Darwin-Sydney route is a clear indication of our commitment to opening up more domestic routes, nurturing tourism and providing locals, their family, friends and business colleagues with an affordable, high quality travel option, be it for business or pleasure,” Brett Godfrey finished.

Convenient connections will also be available to and from Darwin to Adelaide, Canberra, Gold Coast, Melbourne and Perth.

* All fares include the passenger ticket levy, airport charges and the global security charge and are for flights booked on the Internet. $10 more by phone.

SCHEDULE EFFECTIVE 14 JUNE 2003
SYDNEY-DARWIN
FLIGHT N0. DEP ARR MON TUE WED THU FRI SAT SUN
DJ739 8:40pm 12:40am Y N Y N Y Y** Y**

DARWIN-SYDNEY
FLIGHT N0. DEP ARR MON TUE WED THU FRI SAT SUN
DJ730 1:10am 6:05am Y Y N Y N Y Y

** Due to aircraft and slot availability, Virgin Blue will operate alternative SYDNEY-DARWIN schedule on weekends.
Saturday: DJ737 departs Sydney at 5.00pm and arriving Darwin at 9.00pm
Sunday: DJ739 departs Sydney at 7.30pm and arriving Darwin at 11.30pm

Kanga767
7th May 2003, 15:48
You can't imagine how happy I am to get this news!!:ok:

topend3
7th May 2003, 16:27
nearly as happy as i am, launch fares from $149 one-way, cheapest qf internet fare on same day is $297, some much needed competition on this route at last...

AlbertRoss
7th May 2003, 16:50
Not near as pleased as I am - another back of the clock red-eye to look forward to.....:(

dirty deeds
7th May 2003, 17:56
That fantasitic news, I bet old Geoff is over the moon to hear this one. Its a shame that QF's international operations won't subsidise it over inflated cost structure on its domestic operations, its great to see competition is finally starting to achieve some results, QF may match these fares but is the yield still there, I dont think so, profit forcasts are less than expected (surprise surprise!), go the VB!
As last Fridays Australian news paper quoted: Sowthwest Airlines in the States has been posting a profit for thirty years in row. I think that low buget is the way of the future, its the only way these airlines can ride the ever unpredictable storm. Food for thought!

50 Cal
7th May 2003, 19:13
Yeah but at least you won't be going there and back in one evening Albert!!!

Don Esson
7th May 2003, 19:33
Will be interesting to see the QF reaction. Will they follow the lead of the whingers and complain to the ACCC in the same way as Virgin Blue did when Qantas sought to protect some of its turf not all that long ago? Specifically, NTL/MEL and SYD/ADL. What DJ is doing is simply dumping capacity...is it able to prove that ASP/SDYD and DRW/SYD fares are NOT being cross subsidised by some of its (few) profitable routes?

Going Boeing
7th May 2003, 20:00
Isn't Brett Godfrey the world's greatest exponent of "Spin Doctoring"? His wife must be very frustrated as he just can't give a straight answer to anything.

Apart from his spin, I think that Virgin Blue is doing a great job providing competition to the Flying Wallaby, GB

Metro Boy
7th May 2003, 20:04
Of course fares will be high if there is no competition, what do you expect?

Buster Hyman
7th May 2003, 20:50
“Focussing on domestic tourism is clearly the best way to help hotels and operators who are struggling due to events overseas.”

Gawd bless ya Mista Godfrey, we'll see if the Pope will Canonise ya, eh?

:rolleyes:

sprucegoose
8th May 2003, 05:18
Uhhh... dumping capacity Don? What capacity might that be? There are not enough seats in the fleet to dump anything!

Capn Laptop
8th May 2003, 05:24
I mean really - what do you expect him to say

"Qantas are making a ****load off this route, and we want some of the action!"

You blokes need to learn what PR is all about.

It is the same as QF doing the doom and gloom thing in the press. The SARS outbreak and the Gulf War provided Dixon with a convenient excuse for doing what he has been wanting to do for a long time, trim the staff numbers to bring them closer to the opposition.

He is trying to change the culture of QANTAS by stealth - and I might add he seems to be succeeding - the company is losing staff and the remaining workers are picking up the slack. they may not be happy, and there may be a cost in terms of customer service because the people are stressed - but mark my words the people that come back when the "crisis" is over will be on far more flexible conditions than they were when they left - part time, contract etc - and as they were paid out when they left they return with no leave, long service leave or accumulated sick leave liabilities. On paper these people are a heap cheaper and much easier to redeploy when it becomes necessary - sorry you are only doing 3 mornings a week now, or you are now surplus to requirements bye!

Mr Dixon is a lot smarter than most people give him credit for!

SixStarAnsett
8th May 2003, 07:46
That is good news I suppose :-)

However I have a question (which may be a little bit off topic here).

When is Townsville going to get more than 2 flights a day??? There is one at 6 or so o'clock and one at 4 or so o'clock in the afternoon.

And another thing, I can't remember the last time I saw a DJ plane up here that wasn't that ex-ansett hybrid one, which had an altercation with the pelican.

But I fly Alliance anyhow :D . I don't know why, but Crown and cashews go well, espically with the F100.

SixStarAnsett :)

Col. Walter E. Kurtz
8th May 2003, 07:46
You can bitch and moan and criticise Virgin as much as you want. The bottom line is.....they're getting the results.