PDA

View Full Version : Nice folk who interrupt

Frosty Hoar
7th May 2003, 00:08
Frosted one just spent 5 mins stuck in conversation on train with
"an interrupter". He started the effing conversation in the first place and one was not permitted to provide a complete answer on no less than six occasions.

Interrupter also used cunning raised voice ploy at point of interruption to prevent any return interruption from frosted one, methinks he was a pro.

Just wondered if you people who like to interrupt all the time do it without realising it as you are genuine f?ckwits or perhaps are seeking to dominate in some bizzare way, because....damn that Konkordski

Konkordski
7th May 2003, 00:35
...anyway, as I was saying, you had to be there, what with the rain storm and the stampeding sheep, goodness I was in such a fluster, of course Bill hadn't bothered turning up so I had to fix the barn door myself, ever tried to do that when all you have is a lead pipe and a bit of rope - never mind - anyway...

Grainger
7th May 2003, 00:56
Got a colleague who genuinely does not believe that he's doing it.

On the rare occasions when someone else does manage to get a word in edgeways, this guy then takes great offence that he's been interrupted so rudely. It's made much worse by the fact that he feels compelled to explain everything four or five times :rolleyes:

Honestly, it's like water off a duck's back - people like this are completely oblivious to what's going on around them. He is a complete f*ckwit but even if told that to his face I don't think it would have any effect :*

Davaar
7th May 2003, 01:38
............. and just a final word, there's the other lot; have you ever seen that interview (and I know for a fact it was taped, for I've seen it more than once, believe you me) with the representative of the S. T. O. A? The S-l-o-w T-a-l-k-e-r-s o-f A-m-e-r-i-c-a? W-e-l-l, l-e-t m-e t-e-l-l y-o-u, I h-a-v-e a c-o-u-s-i-n ............

Frosty Hoar
7th May 2003, 02:00
Hmm those slow talkers, could they be the ultimate antedote for the multiple interruptor I wonder.....

SixStarAnsett
7th May 2003, 12:56
I have met some people who interrupt too, and quite frankly, I think they are people who have an extremely short attention span.

The worst are the ones who interrupt you while you are speaking to them on the telephone. GRRR! Telephones are very different to talking face to face with someone, and you have to be quite clear to get your (important) point across. I really dislike it when I am interrupted. And yes, they do often raise their voice louder than mine so they can hijack the conversation.

I just don't talk to them in person or on the telephone then. :E

SixStarAnsett :)

Anthony Carn
7th May 2003, 14:56
I'm sometimes guilty of the crime myself. It's usually because I'm desperate to inject my ideas, which sometimes flow at a high rate of knots (but are mostly rubbish as you all know).

I used to have a close friend (honest !) who stuttered ; he did'nt stand a chance !

As a victim, the infuriating thing is when the interruption indicates that the other party, as opposed to just being enthusiastic, simply has'nt listened to a word you've said. :mad:

Hersham Boy
7th May 2003, 16:10
Good example of this: John Humphries. Fine pillar of the BBC News machine but why does he never just listen to an answer without interupting the interviewee?

Drives me mad, so it does...

Hersh

tony draper
7th May 2003, 16:42
There a very nice lady who lives in my street suffers from a slightly different problem, ie ,she will stop you in the street and ask a question, ,
"My VCR has gone wrong tony, its started to blah de! blah de! blah!, what do you think is wrong"?
Trouble is she does not stop there, she talks constantly and does not allow you to answer,there are no pauses to allow access to the converstaion, the only way to get away before sunset is to rudely interupt her mid flight.

BRL
7th May 2003, 16:58
She is after YOU Tony....!!!!! Next it will be "My telly has gone funny in my bedroom, can you come and look at it for me............"
(or have I been watching too many of them films........:uhoh: )

tony draper
7th May 2003, 17:06
The friendship is purerly platonic,BRL, she often brings Drapes home made corned beef and tatty pies,bowls of stewed rhubard and such,thats why one said she was a nice lady, unfortunatly the ladies of Drapers street look upon him as a handyman who can fix things, rather than a sex object now.
:rolleyes:

Anthony Carn
7th May 2003, 19:53
Apropos broken VCR's etc.....

I can imagine, drapes - there must be nothing worse than problems with the eject mechanism. :rolleyes: ;)

I remember having trouble with the fast-forward when I was younger. Now I'm stuck in single-play and the memory's unreliable. :O

reynoldsno1
8th May 2003, 05:45
home made corned beef

A rare commodity in the UK Mr. D... I was told not so long ago by a UK resident, quite emphatically, that corned beef only came in tins. She would not believe me that you can buy big fresh chunks of it in the US, Oz and NZ.

I tried to buy saltpetre from chemist in Dorset, but he said the government would not allow it even in small quantities - he did ask if I was going to corn some meat - well, I wasn't planning to make a pie bomb....

Sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt....

tony draper
8th May 2003, 05:58
I'm supprised there wasn't a armed responce vehicle waiting outside the chemists for you, I wanted some Copper Sulphate and I had to sign half a dozen forms and return 24 hours later for it.
We used to buy Potasium Nitrate at the local chemist no probs when I was a sprog, of course we didnt do anything silly with it, we just made our own gunpowder.
You can buy very nice sliced corned beef at most of the butchers around here, but I suspect that also comes out of tins, albeit very large ones, but it is very good corned beef.
;)

Rollingthunder
8th May 2003, 07:57
Mr. Smoketoomuch:
They've blothed backs and their bardigans and their chances to radios, complaining about the tea or they don't make it
properly, do they? And stopping at endless Majorcan bodegas selling fish and chips and Rodney's Red Barrel and
calamares and toothache. And sitting in their cotton sunfrost, squirting Timothy White Suncream all over their puffy, raw,
swollen, parollen flesh, 'cos they overdid it on the first day.

Mr. Bounder:
Yes, I know just what you mean! Now, what we offer is...

Mr. Smoketoomuch:
Being herded into countless Hotel Miramars and Bellevues, Bontinentals with their international luxury modern roomettes...

Mr. Bounder:
Oh, yes.

Mr. Smoketoomuch:
...and swimming pools full of draft Red Barrel and fat German businessmen pretending to be acrobats and forming
pyramids and frightening the children and...

Mr. Bounder:
Oh, yes.

Mr. Smoketoomuch:
...barging into the cues. And if you're not at your table...

Mr. Bounder:
Oh, yes.

Mr. Smoketoomuch:
...spot on seven you miss your bowl of Campbell's Cream and Mushroom Soup, the first item in the menu of International
Cuisine.

Mr. Bounder:
Absolutely. Now what we have here is...

Mr. Smoketoomuch:
Every Thursday night there's a bloody cabaret in the bar featuring some tiny ---- dego with nine-inch hips and some fat
bloated tart with her hair really creamed down and big arse presenting her to foreigners.

Mr. Bounder:
Will you be quiet, please?

Mr. Smoketoomuch:
---- from Birmingham with bloody right...

Mr. Bounder:
Will you be quiet?

Mr. Smoketoomuch:
...legs and diarrhea trying to pick up hairy, bandy legs ,whop degos called Manuel.

Mr. Bounder:
Be-be quiet!

Mr. Smoketoomuch:
And once a week there's an excursion to local Roman remains, where you can buy Cherry Aid and melted ice cream...

Mr. Bounder:
Be quiet!

Mr. Smoketoomuch:
...and bleedin' Rodney's Red Barrel.

Mr. Bounder:
Shut up!

Mr. Smoketoomuch:
And one night they take you to a typical restaurant with local...

Mr. Bounder:
Shut up!

Mr. Smoketoomuch:
...atmosphere and color and you sit next to a...

Mr. Bounder:
Shut up!

Mr. Smoketoomuch:
...party from Relu who keep singing "I love the Costa Brava!"

Mr. Bounder:
Shut up!

Mr. Smoketoomuch:
"I love the Costa Brava!" And you get cornered by some drunken green grocer from Luton with an Instamatic camera and last Tuesday's daily express...

Mr. Bounder:
Please be quiet!

Mr. Smoketoomuch:
...and he's on and on and on about how it is running the country and how many languages Margaret Powell can speak and she throws up all over the cuba libre. And spending four days on the tarmac at Luton Airport on a five-day package store with nothing to eat but dry----sandwhiches.

Mr. Bounder:
Shut up! Please shut up!

Mr. Smoketoomuch:
And you can't even get a glass of Rodney's Red Barrel because you're still in England with the bloody bar closes every
time you're thirsty. And the kids are crying and vomiting and breaking the plastic ashtrays. They keep telling you won't be
another hour, but you know damn well your plane is still in Iceland, because it had to turn back, trying to take a party of
Swedes to...

Mr. Bounder:
Shut up!

Ozzy
8th May 2003, 08:46
and get that machine that goes PING!

Frosty Hoar
8th May 2003, 13:44
Jeremy Paxman, master of interruption, just watch him pounce on the stuttering student people on university challenge, his favourite interjection being a multiplie NO!...

simon brown
8th May 2003, 17:30
Drapes,

That woman across the road from you should be recruited by the door-to-door Jehovas witnesses with her high speed blue in the face banter. Aparently as trainees they are submerged in a tank of water with a book of juteronemy( probably spelt wrong) for an hour to test their resilience.The same can be said of NPower/Double glazing salesmen.
Ive noticed John Prescott does the same when being interviewed, trying to squeeze the last ounce of breath in trying to make his point, as eloquently, not-withstanding-subsequent verbosity-whilst- trying-to-get-ones-point-across-as-ever.

I used to work with someone whom used to adopt the interrupting/raised voice technique. He used to interject whilst I was attempting to answer his first question, with his second question.I would continue to answer his first question, him having asked his second question. This used to confuse him immensely.The whole conversation ended up one question out of sync. Playing devils advocate, as I know it used to wind him up so much,I deliberately employed this technique. The whole thing ended up like some Two Ronnies sketch and he eventually got the message that if you want a conversation then by all means do so , but shut up and listen to the other persons opinion. It used to be quite amusing watching him twitching ready to interject but not actually doing so. Everyone else in the office used to employ this technique to such an extent that in meetings he would just sit in the corner twitching every couple of minutes. He used to have to resort to putting his hand up like a school child in order to get his point across, which was even more amusing. :E :D

tony draper
8th May 2003, 17:42
I understand government ministers and senior civil servants areall obliged to attend a course where they are given a piece of information they have to get across,they are then surrounded by five or six people shouting questions at them, they have to learn to ignore all external influence and questions and carry on making the statement no matter what.
Watch any politician being interveiwed and you will see this technique in use.

Interviewer

"What do you think of the present figures on health minister"?

minister

"We have more policemen on the beat than in all recorded histrory"

I think Jeremy Paxman should be issued a cattle prod and when ever the lying slimy toerags he is interveiwing slips off topic,or answers a different question to the one he/she was asked, Jerremy should be allowed to prod them.

Frosty Hoar
8th May 2003, 18:41
Hmm double glazing salesmen and j.witnesses, exponents of the fixed stare and the verbal machine gun.

Paxman with a prod, mandelson would enjoy the experience...

:eek: