PDA

View Full Version : That damn U2 puzzle

jethro15
6th May 2003, 23:57
Someone posted a U2 puzzle the other day, and It's driving me nuts. Unfortunately I can't find the origional forum/thread.

Can someone please put me out of my misery??

jethro15
UK and Ireland Airline Fleet Listings
http://www.jethros.i12.com

Celtic Emerald
7th May 2003, 02:52
1 & 2 goes over first
1 or 2 return
5 & 10 go over
Whichever didn't return first 1 or 2 return
1 & 2 go over = 17

jethro15
8th May 2003, 21:56
Thanks Celtic

So simple when you see it written down like that.

jethro15

Celtic Emerald
13th May 2003, 02:38
In answer to your question:

The U2 Puzzle

Allegedly, this is one of the questions for potential Microsoft employees. Reportedly, one guy solved it by writing a C program, although that took him 37 minutes to develop (compiled and ran on the 1st try though). Another guy solved it in three minutes. A group of 50, at Motorola, couldn't figure it out at all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"U2" has a concert that starts in 17 minutes and they must all cross a bridge to get there. All four men begin on the same side of the bridge.
You must help them across to the other side. It is night.

There is one flashlight. A maximum of two people can cross at one time.

Any party who crosses, either 1 or 2 people, must have the flashlight with them. The flashlight must be walked back and forth. It cannot be thrown, ect. Each band member walks at a different speed.

A pair must walk together at the rate of the slower man's pace:

Bono - 1 minute to cross
Edge - 2 minutes to cross
Adam - 5 minutes to cross
Larry - 10 minutes to cross
For example: If Bono and Larry walk across first, 10 minutes have elapsed when they get to the other side of the bridge. If Larry then returns with the flashlight, a total of 20 minutes have passed and you have failed the mission.
Notes: There is no trick behind this. It is the simple movement of resources in the appropriate order. There are two known answers to this problem. This is based on a question Microsoft gives to all prospective employees.

Note: Microsoft expected you to answer this question in under 5 minutes!

Emerald

yggorf
13th May 2003, 06:18
Celtic Emerald, will you marry me?
(if you are a woman and my wife agrees, that is) :O

Jules Meister
13th May 2003, 17:58
Another one of Microsoft's quetsions was:

Why are manhole covers round?

jethro15
13th May 2003, 19:42
So the covers can't fall through the hole.

jethro15
UK and Ireland Airline Fleet Listings
http://www.jethros.i12.com

Ozzy
13th May 2003, 22:22
another: How many petrol stations in the US?
The approach to solving is more important than the answer

Ozzy

BALIX
13th May 2003, 23:13
another: How many petrol stations in the US?

None at all but there are plenty of gas stations.

Celtic Emerald
13th May 2003, 23:16
yggorf

Blimey! If you'd like an independent bird who never likes to be controlled, tied down or told what to do maybe, there's just that little wee tad of a problem of that wife of yours ;)

This must be one of the few quiz's you've got the means to solve it long before you get the question. Sorry if I took the challenge out of it for you'se. It's just for me finding the answer mean't a little top up on me recent payrise & you know how good money is for concentrating the mind & getting the little grey cells (that have lay dormant for donks) working. Okay so I know I've an unorthrodox boss if yas haven't figured that out already. :D

Emerald