PDA

View Full Version : The perfect cup of tea

Capn Notarious
6th May 2003, 14:38
I invite contributions from you all.
How to make the perfect cup of tea.
Scientific data and method may be used.

For myself: boiling water heat pot and heat cup/mug.
One tea bag per person(Can't stand tea leaves and can never find the strainer: probably a redundant kitchen utensil?)
Pour boling water on bag and leave to stand. Two minutes.
Stir with a fork to allow airation and the infusion & effusion of water and effusion of flavour.
Pour add milk and leave to stand, minimum of 15 minutes indoors, ten minutes outside.
Consume at will.

N.B. I wont drink it immediately as it burns the oesophagus.
How do you take yours?

Brizzo
6th May 2003, 17:16
Cap'n N:

What you describe is student tea aka bedsitter tea.

Proper tea is made in a brown teapot. Decent quality leaf in a warmed pot, stand 5 minutes, pour.

Do our overseas readers know that there is a ridiculous snobbery about putting in the milk? Apparently only oiks (such as I) put the milk in first, the gentry add it later. Some idiot snobs refer to the lower orders as MIF.

The best cup of tea I ever had was made in a giant Government-issue teapot in Brixton Prison, and served in thick china cups with tiny round handles. After hiking round the jail for nigh on three hours it was very welcome indeed.

One caveat about prison tea: if you are any kind of official visitor make sure that you see it prepared in front of you. Most cons regard the opportunity to do something unspeakable to the tea before you get it as irresistible.

expedite_climb
6th May 2003, 18:21
I hate it when people put the milk in the mug first, or while the tea bag is still in.... both hideous crimes !!

FlyingForFun
6th May 2003, 19:18
I always try to pour the water directly over the teabag, rather than to the side of the teabag. It gets the flavour out of the leaves much more efficiently than leaving it to stand, or stirring it with a fork or spoon.

As for milk, I always pour it in after. Nothing to do with snobbery, it's just that it's only by doing it this way that I can see the colour of the tea in order to pour in exactly the right amount.

Must be drunk very hot. I hate luke-warm tea.

FFF
-----------

ComJam
6th May 2003, 19:54
Easy, in a mug:

1 Boil water
2 pour onto teabag in mug
3 mash the **** out of it to make the tea really strong
4 add a small amount of milk
5 add one sugar

:D

NEVER EVER pour the milk in before removing the teabag, it's disgusting :yuk:

chippy63
6th May 2003, 20:29
...and add a slug of scotch on a cold morning..

Cardinal Puff
6th May 2003, 20:41
It has to be Earl Grey made with loose leaf in a pot and just a smidgen of milk to cut the bitterness after pouring and before adding a small splash of whiskey to give it that smokey flavour. No sugar.

Best thing on a cold morning while watching the sun rise over the sea or the highveld..........

BALIX
6th May 2003, 20:52
According to Mrs BALIX, the perfect cup of tea is one made by me (who can't stand the stuff :yuk: ) for her.

She gets several perfect cups of tea a day.

CoodaShooda
6th May 2003, 21:07
Balix
Snap!

Brown pottery teapot (5 cup size), 4 level teaspoons of Madura Premium Blend, add boiling water, allow to draw for 5 minutes, rotate the pot clockwise 6 times and pour into a cup on top of the milk!! (Prolly have to rotate anti-clockwise in the northern hemisphere. Don't have to warm the pot either as the room temp rarely gets below 18 C...and then only in mid-winter.)

Won't touch the stuff meself but she's been happy with it for over 23 years. :ok:

George Dicer
6th May 2003, 22:26
George Orwell described Tea in "The Road To Wigan Pier" as the opiat of the working classes. What did he mean. Do you have to be working class ( what is working class these days?) to truly appreciate a cup of Rosie Lee ?

chippy63
6th May 2003, 23:23
Cardinal P,
Your Eminence, agreed, Earl Grey is just right, but if you like a smokey kind of taste, you might try Lapsang Souchong.

tony draper
7th May 2003, 00:01
Best cuppa is brung to you in bed soon as you wake up, sit on edge of bed in skivies, sip nice hot cup of tea, light up first ciggy of the day, have a good scratch and yawn.
Been a long time since I enjoyed that service. :(

Loki
7th May 2003, 01:50
Odd that the brown earthenware teapot. Had ours for years and generates gallons of wonderful tea per annum. Pot warming is of course essential (60 C is optimum (about as hot as you can tolerate holding the thing in your hand)) Teabags are the invention of the devil so a proper loose leaf is necessary. If you must have milk, it should go in after the tea.....no particular reason , it`s all part of the ritual. Genteel conversation and a piece of Battenburg are also important.

PFLsAgain
25th Jun 2003, 21:15
Seems that scientists have now perfected the cup of tea. See here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3016342.stm) for the instructions. It's milk in first!!

Whirlygig
25th Jun 2003, 21:33
IMHO tea should always be drunk (as I often am) from bone china - it seems to retain the heat better.

Putting milk in with the tea bag seems to inhibit the brewing of the tea therefore only do this if you like your tea insipid. Which I don't.

In canteen we have a boiler thing on the wall which gives nearly boiling water and therefore cup of tea is instantly made without having to wait for kettle. It may not be the perfect cuppa but for convenience it's great!

Whirlygig

G-ALAN
25th Jun 2003, 21:34
How can you talk about tea in this hot weather! You all disgust me (apart from BALIX and cooda) How can you pollute your insides with that vile stuff :yuk: I don't believe in drinking drugs like tea and coffe to stimulate me, my body is a temple!

I'm off to buy a half bottle of whisky :rolleyes:

paulc
25th Jun 2003, 22:05
1 tea bag + 1 mug + hot/boiling water + 2 sugars + dash of milk to get a caramel like colour

djk
26th Jun 2003, 00:25
I rarely have tea bags these days at home, occasionally when I feel the need to have a tea, out comes the tin of tea leaves. and for the past x number of years the brown teapot has always been used. this was purchased many decades ago in Denby, Derbyshire.

The method is simple, place tea leaves in pot, one spoonful per person and one for the pot, allow water to boil and pour into pot over said tea leaves and allow to brew to desired strength.
I personally enjoy mine at the point where it starts to colour, that way by the time I've finished the pot the last cup will just be starting to be on the verge of tasting like a stew.

Occasionally I will add a dash of milk, sometimes just a slice of lemon it depends purely on the tea I am drinking.

Capn Notarious
26th Jun 2003, 02:00
Tea is a very fine and refreshing beverage.
When did a whisky give as much pleasure' as the first brew of the day.
It won't make five hundred responses!