PDA

View Full Version : Live pics from Police helicopter

Heliport
6th May 2003, 14:34
Humberside Police ASU is installing internet protocol television (IPTV) from Cisco, providing senior officers with access to live footage filmed from its helicopter. Command centre staff at stations around the region will be able to watch events being filmed as they happen.

"This will be useful in our command centres where they control police officers on the ground," said network systems and security supervisor Mike Foster. "The TV will give them an accurate picture of what is happening and a picture is worth a thousand words."

Foster, who came up with the idea of extending the microwave signals that previously transmitted images to one site to multiple locations, tested his theory with equipment borrowed from Cisco.
Satisfied that his idea worked, the force spent £15,000 on its own IPTV equipment.

Foster explained that other forces have already expressed interest in the solution. "Each force is an individual and they have their own projects. Once this gets a bit more publicity it could really take off. I know of six other forces that are interested," he said.

Humberside has been using a Cisco-based network for the past couple of years, making installation of IPTV relatively simple. "The only question was: did we have enough bandwidth?" said Foster.
He expects the solution to be fully operational by the end of May, and envisages 10 stations being able to access footage in the long term.

Is this a first in the UK?
Have rotorheads outside the UK got experience of this kit?
Is it effective?

Roofus
6th May 2003, 18:38
Heliport

Can't speak for the Cisco system. The unit I used to be on transmitted it's pictures live to the Control Room & to suitably equiped traffic cars.

Was it effective? Oh yes!

During pursuits it had several benefits. The control room could see for themselves exactly what was going on & where, as such making for a much safer pursuit. The traffic cars could also see! Damn handy to actually be able to see around corners!
But perhaps the best bit was the massive reduction in R/T. A running commentary from the aircraft became unnecessary as all concerned could see for themselves.
& when working in an area that the crew wasn't fully familiar with, the control room could take up a commentary ref. street names etc for local units making their way. Hence reducing the crews workloads with regards to maps & A-Zs!! (We liked that! More eyes looking out!)

All in all I'd give it a big :ok: The more control rooms with it the better! (Not that I get to chase anyone anymore :mad: )

Big-Windy
7th May 2003, 16:14
Fab idea. But why not just have news helicopters flying about as they do in the States, then EVERYONE can watch it all live!