PDA

View Full Version : What is the meaning of life

Andrew M
5th May 2003, 08:18
Well, what is the meaning of life.

No old clichés please - lets see some new ideas:

tony draper
5th May 2003, 08:27
A fish is a machine for carrying Genetic information around in water , a bird has the same function in air,we do it in a bipedal manner on land, rather than hoofed finned or feathered is all, although we adapt the envoriment to do so, rather than accept thing as they are.
Go forth and spread your genetic information around, that why your here, that is our only function, to carry genes around.
The information must survive, the carrier is unimportant.
:rolleyes:

Andrew M
5th May 2003, 08:39
Go forth and spread your genetic information around, that why your here, that is our only function, to carry genes around

So basically, you are saying the main purpose of life is to "have it off" with every female in sight !?!

A good theory - let's put it into practice :cool: :D

Ozzy
5th May 2003, 11:12
What's the meaning of life? To turn the energy you intake into a higher energy output. And have fun doing it, mate.

Ozzy

Rollingthunder
5th May 2003, 11:23
The meaning of life? I don't know.

The message of life.

You have one chance at it, make it good.

con-pilot
5th May 2003, 11:26
As usual I am in 100% agreement with Draper on this question.

Tony has got it down to the basic answer, sorry ladies, but Mr. D is right!

Just don't tell Mrs. C-P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:uhoh:

Charlie Foxtrot India
5th May 2003, 11:30

Now what exactly was the question?

Loki
6th May 2003, 02:35
Life is the means by which the Cosmos has become aware.

G-ALAN
6th May 2003, 02:50
TD you are totally correct! There is a reason why men produce several million sperm at a time and women only produce 1 egg. So ladies don't blame us for [email protected] around its in our nature to spread the seed around a little :D

bubba zanetti
6th May 2003, 04:11
That's why, at the home, we were forced to call him 'Tony, Human Seed'.

:hmm:

foghorn
6th May 2003, 05:53

Now what exactly was the question?

What is 6 times 9?

Onan the Clumsy
6th May 2003, 06:04
That's assuming there has to be a meaning.

Avman
6th May 2003, 06:05
The meaning of life is for the human race to achieve perfection. Then God will get bored and switch the light off :E . The good news is that it may take some time yet :) .

Miserlou
6th May 2003, 06:12
Excuse the nit-picking but 42 is the answer to the ultimate question of Life, the Universe and Everything.

You'll be wanting Monty Python for The Meaning of Life.

Andrew M
6th May 2003, 06:32
that movie was brilliant :D :D :D

Remember Mr Creosote ???

tony draper
6th May 2003, 06:37
Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at 900 miles an hour,
That's orbiting at 19 miles a second, so it's reckoned,
A sun that is the source of all our power.
The sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see,
Are moving at a million miles a day
In an outer spiral arm, at 40,000 miles an hour,
Of the galaxy we call the Milky Way.

Our galaxy itself contains 100 billion stars
It's 100,000 light years side to side.
It bulges in the middle, 16,000 light years thick
But out by us its just 3,000 light years wide
We're 30,000 light years from galactic central point,
We go round every 200 million years
And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions
In this amazing and expanding Universe.

The Universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding
In all of the directions it can whizz
As fast as it can go, at the speed of light you know,
12 million miles a minute, and that's the fastest speed there
is.
So remember when you're feeling very small and insecure
How amazingly unlikely is your birth
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
Because there' ****** all down here on earth.

newarksmells
6th May 2003, 06:48
Simple;

Look after the ones you love.

Don't cheat anybody over money. it isn't worth it. It's only paper.

Treat people as you would want to be treated.

Give respect to everybody you come into contact with...even the homeless as we could be there next.

Always tell the truth...even when it hurts.

After 43 years, that's what i've got out of life...and I've had the bruises to show it. Honesty, integrityand compassion make this world a far nicer place.

Newark

tony draper
6th May 2003, 06:59
Fine sentiments Newark, but ironicly its probably the built in human instinc for self survival, deception, treachery, the ability to decieve, cheat steal and kill when necessary that got a particular type of ape down from the trees, and turned them into us.
Altruism is not a good survival trait,evolutionary wise.
;)

Onan the Clumsy
6th May 2003, 07:11
Birds flying in a flock. They may be helping themselves, but they help each other in the process.

A parent's instinct to give up its own life to save its offspring. That could be considered an altruistic act.

Ants that make a big ball to cross a river, knowing that some of them will die in the process, but the colony will survive.

Altruistic acts are part of nature as well as venal ones.

Andrew M
6th May 2003, 07:21
tony - how on earth did you remember all that !?!

Anyway, thanks - you've put me in the mood for watching that movie again - bye bye now :)

tony draper
6th May 2003, 07:30
True Onan, but a lot of it is playing the odds, If a fish swims alone the shark will certainly eat it, if the fish swims with fifty other fish i it has only fifty to one chance of being eaten, we learn to co-operate because it increases our chances of survival.
;)

Andrew the full scripts for all the Monty Python movies are all on the web, in fact the scripts for just about every movie ever made are on the web.
Just go to Google , go to advance search, type movie scripts on the top line,
the name of the movie you want on the second line, and Bobs yer uncle, website after website of movie scripts.
:)

Andrew M
6th May 2003, 07:35
didn't know that - thanks!

Now off to get scripts for the Carry On movies :D

PAXboy
6th May 2003, 08:07
Taking the risk that someone wants another serious reply ...

There is no meaning to life.
There is no meaning to life - save that which you choose to give it.

You might have choosen to give meaning to your life by making a bond with another human being and having children to share it with. You might have chosen to be decent your family and friends. You might have chosen to bring the excitement and delight of flying to others by being crew or an instructor or ground staff making sure that people can do multifarious things in their own lives - because you got that machine pushed back on time and in a safe and secure manner.

All sorts of things.
All sorts of ways to give meaning to your life.

Life itself? There is no meaning to it, for life replicates itself with no thought. (Sometimes humans think about!!) Just because life replicates itself, does not mean that it has a meaning! It has a function certainly but, I suggest, only humans can give meaning to human existence.

HotDog
6th May 2003, 08:14
Life is a sexually transmitted disease that invariably ends in death!

cookie99
6th May 2003, 15:56
------------------------------42---------------------------------------

Anthony Carn
6th May 2003, 17:18
Can't work out a meaning for life. It's one of the most fascinating questions there is, though. Why do we exist at all ? :hmm:

Now, if we knew that there was something going on after life, that would be a big clue, maybe. Another jigsaw piece. But if it all ends at the point of death, then it's a let down, in a way.

Regardless, I feel privileged that I've been allowed to see it all, especially at a point in history where we understand so much more of how things work, albeit still only scratching the surface. There's enough "meaning" in that for me ! :)

Shaggy Sheep Driver
6th May 2003, 18:04
Remember Mr Creosote ???

".......Just a Waafer theen meent??"

SSD

tony draper
6th May 2003, 18:06
Oblivion------4000 weeks holiday----------back to oblivion.
That is a fact, the spin people put on oblivion is purer hearsay.
;)

Shaggy Sheep Driver
6th May 2003, 18:11
As fast as it can go, at the speed of light you know,
12 million miles a minute, and that's the fastest speed there
is.

Drapes

The Universe has in the past, and is currently, thought to be, expanding faster than the speed of light - quite a bit faster. That's one reason why we can never look back to the birth of the Universe. And it also means that the visible universe (the part of it we can see) is actually getting smaller as the far away galaxies, which were at the limit of what we could see, race away from us faster than the speed of light.

SSD

tony draper
6th May 2003, 18:30
Don't think that can be true SSD, as the receeding galaxies get close to the speed of light they might be red shifted into invisibility, but if they ever hit the speed of light and we could still see them, we would see them come to a screeching halt and apparenty remain completely motionless, to a outside observer a object travelling at lightspeed, time would have stopped for that object, ergo it would hang there forever unchanging.

VFE
6th May 2003, 18:34
Thank you, oh Lord, for this gift of AIDS to teach us a lesson. Just when we all had our pants down, enjoying ourselves, bingo. Sometimes, I think God would have made a wonderful Pope.

Anyway, the meaning of life eh? I guess it's to achieve something. To stretch ones limits in the furtherment of mankinds evolution. To make ones mark and to have as good a time in the process as possible. No point slavering away and being a miserable bugga is there? Appreciate the moment and the next time someone say's "come on let's do it, it'll be fun" ..... do it..... whatever "it" is!! :ok:

VFE.

IFTB
6th May 2003, 18:56
"Life is like a tin of sardines; we're all jammed in together and no one can find the key to get out"
(@B.C. 1975)

Failing that,......... 42.......

Shaggy Sheep Driver
6th May 2003, 18:58
Don't think that can be true SSD, as the receeding galaxies get close to the speed of light they might be red shifted into invisibility, but if they ever hit the speed of light and we could still see them, we would see them come to a screeching halt and apparenty remain completely motionless, to a outside observer a object travelling at lightspeed, time would have stopped for that object, ergo it would hang there forever unchanging.

My take on this is that if we were watching a galaxy approach the 'event horizon' we would see it slow down and stop (actaully we probably wouldn't, becuase of phase shift as you say - it would not be visible light any more). But then it would dissapear. The photons of light it is emitting would no longer be able to reach us no matter how long we wait, so there would be no 'source' to continue light emission at the event horizon.

Interestingly, I am off to the Astronomical Society tonight, and will tax some bigger brains than mine on this one...

SSD

arcniz
7th May 2003, 07:10

This may be it...I too can whizz in all directions.. some days. Takes practice. Is it a way to be one with the universe?

The Universe is definitely out there - a whole pot-load of tangible stuff.

Less ponderous than the Universe, but possibly more pondersome, is the question: "What is the meaning of 'meaning'? "

One cannot see it, taste it, or accelerate it. It's massless, gainless, lossless, placeless, invisible and semingly devoid of energy or substance. There's never any consensus associated with it, other than that made by some cultural dictator or similar opportunist who soon vanishes from the scene.

What means have we for meaning, who mean for naught ourselves?

Perhaps we make some ripples in the ambient entropy: I whizz, therefore I mean?

seacue
7th May 2003, 07:17
I cannot accept 42 as the meaning of life. 42 can be factored into 2, 3, and 7. How can we trust a "meaning" if it can be broken into little parts?

Shouldn't the meaning be a prime number such as 41 or 43? Then the meaning of life would have one coherent value.

Andrew M
7th May 2003, 07:32
Out of all possabilities, the meaning of life is NOT mathematics thank you !

I think life is a very short period to decide if you are going to Heaven or Hell. In fact, I think living is Hell, then we die and go to Heaven.

As for Hell, I don't believe in Lucifer and all that crap - I think hell is just not being in Heaven.

"I think the entire universe may be something insignificant in another universe. This universe may be something like a chair leg in a bigger universe - or summat daft like that" - Billy Connolly

"The sole purpose of life is to enjoy ones-self, and to ensure the happiness of others - which contributes to your own happiness.

Without happiness, what is the point of life ??? Although there are periods of depression, or un-happiness - which sometimes lasts for years - this is balanced off with an equal amount of joy. If there was constant joy, and no pain or suffering - we couldn't contrast between the two. Therefore happiness would have no meaning - which means there is no meaning to life" - Andrew M :)

tony draper
7th May 2003, 07:37
Life = Aleph Null.
:cool:

5minMax
8th May 2003, 08:50
Arcniz, I think you're missing the point. Meaning comes FROM life.

Each of us takes something and adds something to the Meaning of Life. It lives in the collective consciousness of us all, even the cats and dogs and bugs.

People share the Meaning of Life among each other. It may not play the same everywhere, but it surely exists - and lives on as long as we do.

You're paying the rent anyway, so you might want to spend some time enjoying it.

Rollingthunder
8th May 2003, 09:05
I used to work in the Académie Française, but it didn't do me any good at all, and I once worked in the library in the Prado in Madrid, but it didn't teach me nothing, I recall,

And the Library of Congress you'd have thought would hold some key, But it didn't, and neither did the Bodleian Library.

In the British Museum I hoped to find some clue.
I worked there from nine till six, read every volume through,

But it didn't teach me nothing about life's mystery.
I just kept getting older, and it got more difficult to see,

Till, eventually, me eyes went and me arthritis got bad,
And so now I'm cleaning up in here, but I can't be really sad,

'Cause, you see, I feel that life's a game. You sometimes win or lose.

spudskier
8th May 2003, 12:44
Memories.

We live to make them, we love to remember them, we learn from other's memories, we love to and have an obligation to pass them on so other can learn from or do not make the same mistakes. they make us love, hate, mad, sad, crazy, fear, etc...

no sponsor
8th May 2003, 18:28
"We are all one conciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, we are only the imagination of ourselves. It's only illusion that we are seperate beings, in actuality we are all one. God is love and love is all there is."

Bill Hicks - espousing on the benefits and insights of smoking the weed (and other various drugs).

Charlie Foxtrot India
9th May 2003, 00:15
The Salmon Mousse!

Ozzy
9th May 2003, 00:33
This thread has got me thinking deep thoughts. Life's a piece of shit, when you look at it. Life's a laugh and death's a joke. It's true. You'll see it's all a show, keep 'em laughing as you go. Just remember that the last laugh is on you. And, always look on the bright side of life. Always look on the right side of life. Always look on the bright side of life! etc etc

Ozzy

T_richard
9th May 2003, 00:54
*************Tempis fugit***********

*****************SO**************

************** carpe diem**********

I learned that at my mothers knee, she was very right

VFE
10th May 2003, 00:26
Sorry to do an ORAC on you all but I ain't gonna make out I wrote this so click and read. Worked for me. CW is a top mind and he changed my way of looking at things when I was 20 years old so..... clickerty click (http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jbmorgan/cwintro.html)

"The Occult" by CW is top reading for any philosophy students as well as anyone with an ounce of intrigue.

CW: when a child being reared in Christendom wakes up on Christmas morning, why does the world seem so much more vibrant and exciting, more "real," to the child than it usually does during the remaining 364 days of the year? And, even more to the point, why isn't this the way we feel all the time?

VFE. :ok:

N2264J
24th May 2003, 23:36
Well, what is the meaning of life.

A winner of the Noble prize for physics in the mid 80s (don't recall the name) once speculated that because all the elements of the periodic table come from exploding stars, perhaps mankind was simply a way for stars to perceive themselves.

Are you humble yet?

tony draper
25th May 2003, 00:06
We're here, because we're here, because we're here ,because we're here,
Ain't no reason but random chaotic events of this indifferent universe, and the equally random and indifferent throw of 3 billion years of evolutionary dice.
And we are not a intended end product, we talking monkeys are just a little blip on the screen of astronomical and evolutionary probabilities.
And thats the whole troof folks.

N2264J
26th May 2003, 00:28
We're here, because we're here, because we're here ,because we're here...

James Lovelock, the British scientist who formulated the concept of "Gaia," that life on Earth, throught its atmosphere and oceans, functions effectively as one self regulating organism, said:

"The odds against such a sequence of encounters leading to the first living entity are enormous. On the other hand, the number of random encounters between the component molecules of the Earth's primaeval substance must have been incalculable.

Life was thus an almost utterly improbable event with almost infinite opportunities of happening. So it did."

Are you humble yet?

--------------------------

I always head toward the lightning because I've heard it never strikes twice in the same place.

Flying Lawyer
26th May 2003, 12:23
If anyone's seriously interested in exploring the meaning of life, I recommend doing an Alpha Course. There's a talk followed by (usually) very lively discussion. The courses run for 10 evenings and are free.
Although they started in London, there are now more than 20,000 courses running all over the world. Ten evenings might seem like a big commitment but I've never met anyone who regretted the time spent, regardless of what (if any) conclusion they reached at the end.
Find an Alpha course. (http://alphacourse.org/findacourse/default.asp)

If you can't spare 10 evenings, there's a book called Questions of Life by Nicky Gumbel (£5.99 from any good bookstore, or on the net) which covers similar ground to the talks - but you miss the discussions which I think are just as valuable as the talks themselves.

Paterbrat
27th May 2003, 08:06
Between upper and lower mental chronon, the limits of time that conciousness can span, lies a space delinineated by the atomic chronon, or that space of time that is -10 to the power of -23 seconds, the briefest phsical existance of an interval of time, and the cosmic chronon -2X10 to the power of 17 or the time taken for a beam of light to traverse the conjectured radius of the universe, the largest pysical span of time. Within this space lies that span of time that we each individualy have been alloted in which to come into being, become aware of our existance, interact with our conciousness of ourselves, come to fullness, then slowly wither and cease to be.
It is some time during this last period that at some stage each one of us will have the chance to glimpse the answer to the question posed. It may be fleeting and is unlikely to be exactly similar to any others of us. It will be a revelation revealed at that moment decreed by that force which caused that individuals ability to be at one with that which caused it. :ooh:

Keef
27th May 2003, 09:38
A very philosophical thread - much of it baffled me. Must be my age.

I spent a year wading through "postmodern philosophy" and concluded "postmodern man" has lost the plot - ends up more into shopping than into living.

I'm with FL: the Alpha course provides a lot of the answers for those who seriously want to know. I went on one, and led quite a few after that: it's excellent. The discussion is the important bit.

5minMax
27th May 2003, 10:37
Religions offer, at best, a cartoon version of meaning in and for life. They provide a highly organized way to avoid thinking about things, rather like soup in a can.

Whether Christian, Muslim, Abo, or any other among the thousands of candidates, religion is always a none-too subtle means for limiting the scope of the discussion and compelling conformity over thought.

Rather than slogging through the convivial programming of a Christian 'Alpha Course' (or ten), one might better pause on occasion to look at the wind and the sky of the natural world and hear the wolves howling at the moon, or the waves lapping on the shore.

No doubt some day in the future other suitably inspired zealots will bake their loaves of bread, proclaim themselves or their lunch to be God, and stir the mix again. Meantime, the waves will be lapping and the wolves howling the same eternal message, unburdened by the conceits and calculations of religious dogma.

These voices from the physical world carry as much sense, profound sincerity, and greater Truth.

tony draper
27th May 2003, 16:26
Amen 5minMax.
Our time is too brief to waste it trying to figure out or to invent what does or does not occur after.
Beats me why folks submit to the control of the bearded ones and waste their lives on man invented ritual, whining on their knees to a indifferent universe.

Flying Lawyer
27th May 2003, 16:42
5minMax
I can only speak with certainty about the Alpha Course I did, but there was no limit whatsoever on the discussion, either subtle or otherwise. Given my job, I'm well up to noticing if someone tries to limit or control discussion, however subtle they try to be - I do it myself every day! :) "Meantime, the waves will be lapping and the wolves howling the same eternal message ....... ." What is 'the same eternal message' you hear from the lapping waves and howling wolves?

tony draper
27th May 2003, 16:51
I think Max means if your on a siiteseeing tour, don't waste your time sitting in your room reading the brochures, get out and sniff the wind.
My apologies if I have misunderstood Max, tiz a easy mistake on threads such as this.

Paterbrat
27th May 2003, 17:09
... or to paraphrase it, the meaning of life is different things to different people.:D

5minMax
27th May 2003, 18:00
Paterbrat -- how true ... each to his/her own... meaning is what you want it to be. Or need it to be. Or.........

Draper - you're definitely on the radial...except it's an ndb. The first Q is (always) why should one care? The second is how can you tell? The Third is What does it mean? Answer - read (try to read) the directions you were provided at birth. And, simplified, open thine orbs to the universe surrounding.

F'ing Lawyer - I would not seek to deny you the pleasure and confidence you derive from your faith. More power to you. My suggestion is that some levels of understanding can exist beyond
dogma, and for those one must look beyond faith to observation of the natural world and the myriad of living things (and physical proceses) which exist within it. The homocentricity of semitic religion ignores much of the real experience of life, time, and presence on this fated orb. It serves as a practical approximation for the necessary purposes of civil order in a sea of homonids, but otherwise lacks both relevance and elegance, as might serve our more philosophical purposes.

For all that - your dialogues may be open but the premises are stacked and the jury has been primed to a category of conclusions, like a civil court consciously omitting a fairness of view. By your affinations you are known.

As for the wolving bit - one must first accept that they are as sincere about their beliefs as we are, then you have to accept that they are as wrong as we are, then you have to accept that it all averages out in the end.

As for the waves.. bigger topic, but the first lap is that one wave is just like another, and no two waves are the same.

Ozzy
2nd Aug 2003, 02:08
thought I'd just drop this one (http://www.bbcamerica.com/genre/comedy_games/monty_pythons_flying_circus/mp_quiz_meaning_of_life.jsp) in here

Ozzy

planepsycho
3rd Aug 2003, 05:03
The meaning of life is to seek knowledge, survive, and live as long as you're supposed to. If you feel pain, sorrow, love, happiness, doubt, fear, anger....if you laugh, cry, hurt, scream, and or experience ecstasy, learn something and or teach someone something they didn't know before maybe that's life.;)

SixStarAnsett
4th Aug 2003, 18:07
Simple.

A lot of people these days are really self-centred, having the attitude 'me me me'.

I think the meaning of life is to overcome personal selfishness and greed and help people who need help.

EG- people totally convinced of their own self-importance and 'rights' etc who say and think things like:

"I don't agree with social security payments. Why should I have to work and support a load of bludgers?"

"I think I deserve an upgrade to first on this flight"

The abovementioned statements were taken from various websites and 'current affairs' tv programmes over the years.

If there was more social generosity around the world it would be a better place.

SixStarAnsett

Windy Militant
4th Aug 2003, 18:41
If we are going to quote from THHGTTG then

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers
exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will
instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more
bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already
happened.

Also I believe that the question was what's seven times nine.

I believe that life is an accident. life is by it's very nature chaotic. The Universe on the other hand is trying to achieve a stable steady state ie total entropy, absolute zero. Therefore the meaning of life is to generate chaos and to resist entropy.
There is a rumour that the "Miserly bin beancounter tribe" are agents of entropy sworn to catalogue and organise and dishearten the resistance.
They don't seem to be suceeding much round here.:ok:

FlyFreeWbe
5th Aug 2003, 05:12
It could be, however, not the different radical and sometimes eccentric things you can think of to try and explain why a truly wonderful and complex society of many varied species (of which we are the most sophisticated) living on a very unique planet that is situated perfectly for our habitation equiped with every necessity exists..
..but the thing you thought of, or were told, yet dismissed due to a misunderstanding or disbelief. Quel est la but de la vie? Il se trouve que la vérité a la réponse

FlyFreeWbe