PDA

View Full Version : Speech Imp..imped..impedi....Problem

Hingeless Rotor
5th May 2003, 06:44
To all concerned,

I feel it is my duty to ask for other professional pilots opinions on a topic that is very relevant to today’s aviation industry.

Should people with a ‘stutter’ problem be allowed to hold a pilots license?

There are several issues that concern me with regards to this physical disposition.

1) The use of radios.
2) The use of checklists.
3) Emergencies.
4) Public Relations.

Is it just my own outdated opinion that tongue tied and twisted pilots should have their licenses removed for the safety of the travelling public? Please be aware that I do not have a personal grudge against any person whom has difficulty talking properly. I do find it hard to converse with them and often cannot spare the time to stand and gape, silently mouthing the appropriate words that they are trying to say. I find it frustrating that I am required to complete their sentences, and I have to admit to getting annoyed at the fact that their eyes will roll up and their lids half close when attempting to get even the most simple word out.

Please feel free to add your comments.

Mmm mm mmmm Ay ay ayyyy D d ddd dayyyyy :cool:

SASless
5th May 2003, 07:36
Hate to burst yer bubble...but all 205/212 pilots stutter !

PPRUNE FAN#1
5th May 2003, 11:09
Dave Gilmour must've taken flying lessons at some point.

http://www.davemcnally.com/lyrics/PinkFloyd/LearningtoFly.asp

Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a windswept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
A fatal attraction holding me fast, how
Can I escape this irresistible grasp?

Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted Just an earth-bound misfit, I

Ice is forming on the tips of my wings
Unheeded warnings, I thought I thought of everything
No navigator to guide my way home
Unladened, empty and turned to stone

A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earth-bound misfit, I

Above the planet on a wing and a prayer,
My grubby halo, a vapour trail in the empty air,
Across the clouds I see my shadow fly
Out of the corner of my watering eye
A dream unthreatened by the morning light
Could blow this soul right through the roof of the night

SASless
5th May 2003, 12:09
Dave....

Might that not be....

duh duh duh dit...duh duh duh dit...duh duh duh dit
duh duh duh dah...duh duh duh dah...duh duh duh dah
duh duh duh dit...duh duh duh dit....duh duh duh dit !!!

We should be ashamed!

imabell
5th May 2003, 13:42
hr, your right, your opinion is outdated and crap :yuk:

RotorDompteur
5th May 2003, 15:09
HR

I understand the reason for your concern.
But since I have never heard about it being a problem why bother making a rule against it...

I believe that it pretty much solves itself as I think that people have a speech impediment generaly seems to steer clear of jobs where it could cause a problem.

And I think it would be a unsympathetic thing to do.

RD

Ascend Charlie
5th May 2003, 15:22
One of Oz's more colourful aviation characters is/was Chris Braund, who has a dreadful stutter. His adventures on the radio have made it into numerous magazine columns as he flew his P51 Mustangs around.
And even in the RAAF was a stuttering hercules pilot, who was being vectored into Changi. He was asked if he could sight a Speedbird aircraft, and he replied "Nnn-n-n-n-negative." "Oh, no worries, i have him sighted " says plummy Speedbird pilot. A minute later radar again asks him if he can see Speedbird, and he replies "NNnnn-n-n-n-negative."
Speedbird says "Well, I can see you ... you must be blind."

"I'd rather be bb-b-b-blind than a ff-f-f-forking Pom!"

Thomas coupling
5th May 2003, 15:45
What the hell does a Dave Gilmour lyric have to do with this thread?:confused:

Hingeless Rotor
5th May 2003, 18:08
There was an instance where the starter button on a Jetranger I was flying started playing up. When I pushed the starter button I would get a small electrical shock, not one that hurt but one that tickled. I telephoned through the problem to one of my fellow pilots. This chap had a rather nasty case of the ta ta’s. His description to the engineers went something like this……..

“Ww when hh he pp pushes tt the button, he gg gets a Tic Tic Tic Tic”. Before he could finish, the engineer said that that is exactly what the igniters are supposed to do.

Ok, I made that up……but hey, it could happen to you.

Imunable
I don’t think you realise what it is that I feel so strongly about.

I believe that a good radio voice is essential and adds to the professionalism of a pilot. We pride ourselves on our ability to talk extremely fast so that others cannot understand what it was we said. And of course we as pilots sound really, really cool.

Along with a big watch, there are some things that are expected of helicopter pilots. The ability to talk calmly and concisely about events that have taken place in our career is extremely important when talking to the younger generation or girls. It is imperative that you can smoothly rattle off the words “there I was” to any group of young impressionable pilots, without destroying the momentum with a stutter.

I hope you understand my position. I believe SASless does. ;)

RotorDompteur
Very polite. You have a way with words……..

212man
5th May 2003, 19:24
TC,
I would guess it is the use of the following line (twice):

"Tongue-tied and twisted just an earth-bound misfit, I"

rwm
5th May 2003, 21:07
What next , foriegn language pilots?

Grainger
5th May 2003, 23:06
Granville !

F.... F.... Fer.... Fer.... F-F-er... Fol-de-rol...

PPRUNE FAN#1
6th May 2003, 00:31
Thomas coupling carped:What the hell does a Dave Gilmour lyric have to do with this thread?God, you are such an ass, Thomas.

Hingeless Rotor said:Is it just my own outdated opinion that tongue tied and twisted pilots should have their licenses removed for the safety of the travelling public?Leaving off the idiocy of that comment, I thought it might be good to highlight his clever use of the phrase "tongue-tied and twisted" and point out that it comes from a jolly good Pink Floyd song about a guy who wants to learn to fly but cannot ("condition grounded") for some reason (a stutter, perhaps?). While he stays grounded (an earthbound misfit), his soul soars. Can we not all relate? Well, maybe not all of us.

I'm sorry you were too dense to understand it, Thomas.

RW-1
6th May 2003, 01:11
HR:

As a avionics tech, once i had a UH-1N pilot who complained that the comm radio would have a burst of static whilst he changed channels. None on either one, but when the knob was "in between".

solution: don't leave the farkin knob in between channels! :)

Fortyodd
6th May 2003, 01:35
1. A former Military pilot colleague of mine does stutter - but not when talking on the radio or over the I/C - something to do with not hearing your "own" voice but an "electronic" impression of it.
2. Another former colleague stuttered all the time whether on the radio or not. During GW1 someone in the Signals Section thought it would be a would be a hoot to give him the callsign Four Four Foxtrot :=
3. Love the Floyd song!!

Heli-Ice
6th May 2003, 02:06
I once met a Rhode Island cop at Dunkin Donuts, carrying a 45. semi-automatic that made me very curious so I decided to ask him why he was carrying such a big weapon. The poor guy stuttered so much that I wished I hadn't started the conversation with him in the first place.

I immediately started thinking how he would sound when arresting someone and shout: "F....F.....F.... Freeze!!!" :}

I sometimes stutter but that's only when my miss'us shouts at me.

heedm
6th May 2003, 06:55
Everyone with a pilot's licence has to pass a checkride that includes emergency simulation, use of checlists, and use of the radio. Periodic medicals also look for problems that prohibit pilots from operating aircraft. Seems to me the rule you mentioned already exists, hidden in the certification and recertification process.

As far as professionalism goes, I'd rather have professional coworkers that had a speech problem than ones who clearly spoke words of intolerance.

Matthew.

Av8r
6th May 2003, 10:12
"A former Military pilot colleague of mine does stutter - but not when talking on the radio or over the I/C - something to do with not hearing your "own" voice but an "electronic" impression of it."

I saw a program about 'stutterers', and what 'Fortyodd' (that includes me) says is correct, if stutterers hear there own voice albeit a millisecond later in their ears, the stuttering almost stops.

Interesting hey?

However at the end of the day, that type of decision should be made at his medical and if any doubt exists, then a prctical test in the aircraft.

Heedm said it:
"As far as professionalism goes, I'd rather have professional coworkers that had a speech problem than ones who clearly spoke words of intolerance."

I totally agree.

Mack.
:ok:

6th May 2003, 14:29
Apochryphal story of ex-mil QHI doing EOLs with a mil student "F..F...F..Fl....Fla...Fla...oh f**k it I have control"

Winnie
6th May 2003, 19:16
I have a friend (unbelieveable isn't it?), who flies for Air Canada Jazz, that also teaches CRM courses on the side, that has a stutter, It don't show up as much anymore, but there we go!
He don't seem to have any problem flying with his speech impediment, so I don't see the problem. Its just like the thing with blacks or yellows or pinks or browns or fattys and so on, Tolerance my friend, tolerance!

Buitenzorg
9th May 2003, 07:21
I'm utterly appalled that anyone in aviation could suggest such a restriction.

May I remind you of arguably the most famous quote of the Battle of Britain:

"Of course I've seen the b-b-b-b-b-bast@rds. I'm trying to w-w-w-w-w-work out what to do!"

rwm
17th May 2003, 12:37
I just read that ICAO is planning to bring in mandatory radio skills and language testing for all persons who operate radios in commercial aviation. So anyone with a speach impediment or language dificulty will be sorted out.

Thomas coupling
18th May 2003, 01:02
"speach" impediment? Those with language problems will be sorted out...looks like you're in trouble then:)

rwm
18th May 2003, 13:00
Sorry, just my splel, pels, I mean spelling skills are in trouble.

Old Man Rotor
18th May 2003, 21:29
Are there any Girls here...........or am I wasting my correctness...?

ICAO has ALWAYS allowed "real" assessment in areas of practical application.............

Color blind folk are given a real practical challenge to see if they can dfferentiate between the colors on the ground......................and so has the folk that have "failed" the earphone test...........

If you can understand and acknowledge the ATC guy/girl with a clearance.............then thats a pass.

maxy101
25th May 2003, 16:06
Next you´ll be trying to ban people with other disabilities......

Dave_Jackson
26th May 2003, 03:24
An acquaintance has a sexual preference for little lambs. Very few people would consider this as being unusual or a disability.
However, if discovered, could it affect his chances of getting a sheep-mustering job? :uhoh:

SASless
26th May 2003, 03:39
Did not think that was all that unusual for our Kiwi friends?