PDA

View Full Version : Math

AirAlfa
5th May 2003, 04:27
Hello everybody.

I'm sure that all of you guys know math as well. But me i'm just 16 years old and i have to make my math stronger, cause i have a lot of problems with it. I want to know if there is some special math schools or classes, teachers in Montreal that helping to guys like i am. If you have some information about that, please help me.

boeingbus2002
5th May 2003, 06:36
My maths isnt exactly strong either, but i did try to improve.
Try to use numbers as much as possible in yr head,
when u go shopping..workout everything in yr head qucikly. U will make mistakes..but keep practicing.
If you are on a motorway (i know u cant drive) but work out ETA's, like you are travelling 70mph, you need to go 170 miles..how long etc.

Sit down with a bt of paper..and number crunch. Do loads of questions....even if u take ages working them out..keep at it. You will improve!

Theres a book also : THE TRACHTENBERG SPEED SYSTEM OF MATHEMATICS" which has a method to do these quickly.

(Kids multiplying Telephone numbers in seconds!)

Best of luck

Flying Boat
5th May 2003, 07:24
bb2002 is right, do as much mental arithmetic as much as possible.

What are your weaknesses?
Arithmetic or higher maths, such as geometry or trigonometry.

Most people are weak in mental arithmetic but the brain can handle certain calculations much easier if simplified.
For fun I teach diving & underwater Navigation is a major part.
A good example is calculating a reciprocal direction: if you travel for example on a heading of 237degrees, what is the reciprocal heading?
The reciprocal is the opposite direction, adding or subtracting 180 degrees can be a problem for you mentally. An easy way for your brain to do this is subtract 200 & add 20 = 057degrees.
The rule is, if the track out is 180 degrees or less +200 & -20, if more than 180 degrees -200 & +20, your brain can calculate these figures quicker than trying to manipulate 180 degrees.

See if you can develop a personal way of calculating mental arithetic quickly by simplifying calculations, it will help in the end.

Never use calculators or computers for general arithmetic but for trigonometry & geometry they are fine.

Good Luck

;)

compressor stall
5th May 2003, 23:37
Even now I dont use a calculator unless I really need one. Do all the sums in your head/paper. Improves things no end.

boeingbus2002
6th May 2003, 06:57
Why has this post been moved to NOrth America forum??
Surely it applies to everyone, not just yanks!