PDA

View Full Version : Royal Navy AIB advice

llcooled
31st Aug 2001, 16:26
I soon hope to be at the AIB for the Royal Navy with selection for Pilot or Observer.
I do not know anyone directly who can offer me advice on the selection process so I would be extremely grateful if anyone who knows of the AIB process (or even better, done it) offer me advice and tips. Thank you.
[email protected]

Viking 1
31st Aug 2001, 17:00
I've been....and failed. Personality side you just need to be switched on, positive all that. The written tests are hard, practice usual ingellegence (or lack of it) test questions. Leadership tests, be urgent and in command, don't dither about. Make sure you have a thourough plan, they give you a pen and paper before hand, I didn't write much and I'm sure it counted against me. Interview, make sure you know your current affairs well including geographical locations where events are happin, try and have an opinion about certain current issues.
Group test require good speed distance time calculations and they're no like the easy RAF type ones were they round up to a nice figure....you need to be very mentally agile and quick with these while a nasty person is shouting at you and putting you under pressure! Try and enjoy it, try and get to know other people from other teams, you can pick up useful tips sometimes. Can't really say much more because since I failed it might not be any use. Good luck mate - last time I checked I think they take about 60 pilots a year, thats 20 every selection month - you'll find out the odds aren't too bad?

EGDR
31st Aug 2001, 20:38
I did my AIB for Observer in 1998 , scored well and subsequently joined the RN.

My advice

1 - Be yourself, if you don't they will see through you.

2. Be smart - clean suit, smart shirt/tie, polished shoes , recent haircut, no earings - for guys etc..

3. Know in detail the jobs of Pilot & Obs. The training route & structure . Our airbases and aircraft. Know about the fleet in general - different ships , their roles weapon fits. Where our ships deploy to, where they are at the moment. In general have a very good background knowledge of the Navy.

4. Have good reasons for why you want to join, why you are a good leader, why you want to be an officer not just aircrew etc..

5. The written test are the usual IQ type - so you can practice them. There is a written english test - so brush up on basic english & also a maths tests of the speed/distance/time type.

6. Read the paper, watch the 6 oclock news have a good knowledge of current affairs and have an opinion on them. I found the Economist invaluable.

7. For the group tests be confident. Remember even bad leadership is better than no leadership. Dont be persuaded to change your mind unless you plan is utter crap and then take onboard you teams suggestions and adopt them as your own.

8. The bottom line is about being confident, projecting yourself. You have to sell yourself to them.

9. It's not impossible

10. Always, always go to The Cocked Hat pub at the end of the road from HMS Sultan, for a beer at the end of each night. They do send people there to watch what you get up to !!

Jaffo
2nd Sep 2001, 16:06
Top bit of advice is if you want to be a pilot don't let them know you'd consider being an Observer, a mistake I made 10 years ago.
Also if you want to fly after you you leave, being an Obs at present, will get you no concessions toward your ATPL. (and don't believe any promises that this situation is about to change)

I don't wish to sound downbeat about the Navy. I would reccommend the RN to anyone, I have been all over the world and had a fantastic time but if you dream of being a pilot then don't sell yourself short - besides being a Pilot is much less like hard work

Good Luck