PDA

View Full Version : Windows Start-up Problem

Whirlybird
4th May 2003, 21:26
I've just got a new (second-hand) laptop; a Toshiba Libretto. While getting things sorted out on it, I had a problem with the start-up; it just died in the middle of it. I managed to start it in Safe Mode, access Windows Help, do what they said - run it in diagnostic mode etc, and to cut a longish story short, it all works fine now...almost! Just one thing. Whenever I start, it goes to the page asking you what kind of start-up you want, when I tell it "Normal", it starts, but doesn't use the whole screen...you know how in Safe Mode part of the screen at both sides is blank; well, like that. The Libretto screen is small enough without making it even smaller!!! I've tried Windows Help again, but had no luck this time. Has anyone any idea how I can get my whole screen back again?

PPRuNeUser0171
4th May 2003, 23:41
Seen this on a Dell - No idea if it will work on a tosh!!!

Do you have a key labeled FONT? On the dell's it's the F7 key.

If you do, Hold down the FUNC and the FONT key, The desktop should expand and fill the whole screen.

The other thing to look at is the resolution - What are you running in?

Most laptops will handle 800 x 600 or even 1024 x 768, You may have 640x480 which the laptop has shrunk down to pretty the fonts from becoming "jagged" looking.

Gary.

Whirlybird
5th May 2003, 03:34
TCS,
I tried that, but when I reboot the resolution goes straight back to 640 x 480!!!! And I'm still stuck with my shrunk screen.:{ Any more suggestions?

PPRuNeUser0171
5th May 2003, 03:41
What video driver is it running?

Sounds like it just needs the correct driver to be installed.

Gary.

Whirlybird
5th May 2003, 15:29
TCS,
No, I never get 800 x 480 to work; what I meant is, the machine asks me to reboot to get it to work, so I do, and still find I have the small screen, and the resolution has gone back to 480 x 640.

Gary,
I emailed the chap I bought it from last night; he says I must have somehow deleted the video driver. I don't know how I could possibly have done that!!!!!!! Anyway, he's going to send me the correct driver on a floppy. I just hope that works!!! Is it easy to install? I love my new little Libretto, but I want my full size screen back again. :{

PPRuNeUser0171
5th May 2003, 21:19
Whirlybird,

When you get the driver goto:

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager

Expand Display Adapters

Right-Click on PROPERTIES for the display adater

Click on the DRIVER sheet tab

Click up 'Update Driver'

You will be asked for the location of the driver
Point it at the floppy and do what the installer asks (probably will need a reboot) and hopefully that will do it.

These instructions are for Windows 2000, All other Windows operating systems will be *SIMILAR*.

If you still have trouble then let me know the make and model of the laptop as well as the operating system and I can do a bit of digging for you.

Hope that helps,

Gary.

Whirlybird
7th May 2003, 16:04
Gary,
Many thanks for the info...which I'll use as soon as this driver actually arrives!

TCS,
Thankyou for that link. I'm going to wait for the driver I'm being sent to arrive (should have been in the post today...hopefully tomorrow), but if anything goes wrong, it's a relief to know there's something else I can do. If I need to, what do I do - just log in on my Libretto, and click to download the video driver for the 110? Is it that easy? I'm now scared of doing anything else wrong, since I've been assured I must have deleted the driver...no idea how!!!!

Thank you both so much for all your help.

Whirlybird
8th May 2003, 19:54
A disc with the driver arrived in the mail today. I tried to follow the instructions, but got slightly lost, so phoned Trevor who sold it to me, and asked him to talk me through it...I don't want to make any more mistakes! Rebooted and...I have my whole screen back!!!!!:) :) :) :) And the disc he sent me apparently has all the drivers on, should I ever need them.

Thanks a million for all your help, guys. One of these days I must learn how to do more with computers than use them to proon!

Whirlybird
9th May 2003, 17:00
TCS, I love it. I can sit there in the evening with a cat on my lap and room for my Libretto too, reading it more like a book than a computer. The keyboard is really fiddly even for my smaller-than-average hands, and the mouse is taking a bit of getting used to. But for what I want - absolute portability (if that's a word) - it's just great.

But one thing that still isn't quite right. When I switch it on, instead of starting up, it goes straight to the pag that asks you to put in a number for what mode you want it to start in. I type "1" for "Normal" and it's quite happy. But why is it doing that instead of starting up straightaway. Trevor didn't know. I can live with it, but I'd like to get rid of it if I can. Any ideas?

Whirlybird
10th May 2003, 00:37
TCS,
You were right; it had diagnostic start up set, probably from when I had problems before. So, I put it to normal start up, and had the same problem; it died in the middle. So I started in Safe Mode, put it back to diagnostic start up, and it gave me the choice of starts again, and now it starts fine, but...I'm back to not having the whole screen!!!! Now now I suppose I'll have to try to remember how to install the video driver again. This is ridicuulous. If I can get it working again I might just leave it. But if you feel like send me a pm with a phone number, maybe we can sort this out...if you can be bothered that is.

Posted 5 minutes later...OK, panic over; I've reinstalled the video driver and got my full screen back. I'll leave things as they are I think. I think when it seized up again it ask me to check settings(?) in Config.sys(?)...though I panicked too much to take it in. Also, all this happened when I installed Norton anti-virus; it was fine before that, I think. Does that give any clues? Anyway, as it is, I love it...so maybe I'll put up with its strange ideosyncracies until or unless I can find a tame expert to fix it. Any volunteers?

Tinstaafl
10th May 2003, 06:30
Send it to me Whirly. I guarantee I'll get it fixed.

Don't know when I'd be able to return it to you though...

:E

Whirlybird
10th May 2003, 17:51
Tinny,
I could bring it to the Gatbash with me. Or do you not want to break into partying time? ;)

TCS,
That makes sense. I've off on holiday tomorrow, so I think I'll use it like it is, and try what you suggested when I get back. Although, now I think about it, I think I had start-up problems even before I installed Norton, but I can't quite remember now. Anyway, now I know I can install the video driver by myself, I'm not so panicky about it all...and seems like it should be possible to sort out someday.

Thanks again people!