PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering...

Rollingthunder
4th May 2003, 12:07
The last time my baggage was searched was on arrival to Nandi, Fiji. They were so bored they just had to do it. That was in 1976. That's more than a quarter-century.

Never searched since then. Make six international trips a year.

Your experiences?

djk
5th May 2003, 01:01
the last time my luggage was searched was about 5 years ago when I went to Sweden, the lady at the security desk took everything out of my backpack and repacked it for me :)
she didn't pay any attention to the items I was carrying she just said I'd look less suspicious if my bag was properly packed

rwm
5th May 2003, 03:04
I get searched almost every time I enter Canada. Word of advise, don't ever ask inspector how long he has been in your country. And it doesn't matter what color airport pass you have.

In trim
5th May 2003, 03:56
Used to travel 'home' to the Channel Islands on a regular basis....as a scruffy student!

Guernsey and Jersey, being Paranoid about anything being brought into the island, used to stop and search "dodgy characters" such as single, scruffy males with monotonous regularity.

I made a point of packing as much dirty washing as I possibly could just for the sheer enjoyment of watching them try and pick it apart.

:O

MMEMatty
5th May 2003, 04:25
Newark Airport, This February.

Newark Airport operate a system (i don't know if its similar to other US Airports, certainly i've never seen it in Europe) where you check into the desk as normal, but instead of seeing your bags vanish off down the conveyor belt, you then have to pick them up and take them over to a security point, where you stack them in a nice pile at the "In" end of the system. Then you wait.

The bags are picked up by a security person, who then asks if the person whose bag it is is present in the small crowd waiting behind the perspex screen. If s/he is, the bags are X-Rayed. If nothing suspicious is found, the person is free to go, and the bags are put on a trolley to be sent to the Aircraft.

Something Suspicious was found in my (rather large green) Rucksack.

So my bags went on to stage two. The security guy asked me where my shoes were. Surpressing a smart-arse reply to the tune of "on my feet d!ckhead" (It had been a long day, and the prospect of an 11 hour flight did not exactly thrill me) i replied "In the bottom of the bag, get in through the front pouch". so he unzipped the front pouch. after pulling out half a dozen used pairs of boxer shorts, he finds my shoes a rather nice pair of black leather, rather shiny shoes. Here it moved onto stage three.

My shoes were swabbed with something that looked like a large cotton wool pad (and probably was) and then fed into the machine. The guy doesnt say anything, but i can tell by the way he looks at me that the results arn't good. So he swabs them again. Now he's starting to look at me like i'm Osama himself. He swabs them again. This time he takes them to a different (closer) machine. I swear this is so he can check me for a semtex Jacket. again the results arnt good. Now im starting to look very concerned, and sweating. The guy takes this as a sign of guilt. Everyone else in the airport is edging away from me, and the cops are starting to put a hand on their guns and stare at me
, before muttering into their radios. The security guy swabs my shoes one last time. The results must have been good, for a wave of relief (and also disapointment i think) sweeps him. im off the hook!

Now all he has to do is re-pack my bag. Easier said than done. afer putting my shoes back in, the underwear remains. squeezing them all in, he tries to zip up the compartment. Off comes one of the toggles in his hand. he stares at it, then in a fit of frustration, anger and hatred of all things English, the security guy pulls the other zip as hard as he can (and he is a big guy). It closes, he chucks the bags onto the "Out" trolley and we can all go home....

Only time i've ever been searched.

Matty

I. M. Esperto
5th May 2003, 04:58
I remember I ran into a snotty Customs inspector at BOS.

Hespotted a bottle of Jamesons red Breast. He asked me if that bottle had been opened. I gave him a dirty look and answered "Of course it had, how do you think the whiskey got ino it?"

No more questions.

brockenspectre
5th May 2003, 05:05
Only time I have been searched was for a Saturday morning flight LHR/ABZ in 1996 .... and of course I had packed in a rush as I had got home from biz trip on Fri night and looking forward to week's vacation to find message from friend inviting me to week in lodge in Scotland so the hand baggage (which was the bag picked apart) was full of last minute items!! hehehehe I felt such an idiot!! :D

P.S.:In the past 20 years I have flown and continue to fly v frequently round Europe and N America (never yet got to Asia/Australasia)!!

edited to make sense!!!

PaperTiger
5th May 2003, 05:36
Canada. Word of advice, don't ever ask inspector how long he has been in your country.
:D :D :D :ok: If you actually did rwm, then by g*d my hat's off to you. I've always managed to suppress the temptation.

OK, stand by PC types, here it comes...
I try to the pick the line manned by a white, middle-aged male. Avoid young guys, 'visible minorities' and of course women of any kind. All far too nosey for my liking :hmm:

Kwasi_Mensa
5th May 2003, 06:15
My luggage is ALWAYS searched in AMS returning from SIN or HKG... :(

lizbet
7th May 2003, 07:14
I guess a routing involving Amsterdam and Ocho Rios, Jamaica was too much for the LAX customs guy to resist!
He stopped half way though, when he asked for my passport which had my crew ID attached so I guess I got off easy.

tony draper
7th May 2003, 07:40
Do what those Colombians do, swallow your luggage.