PDA

View Full Version : Writing Programs for an IPAQ

Thunderbug
4th May 2003, 03:38
I current own a humble Psion 5mx and have written a couple of simple applications for it using the EPOC compiler that comes installed on that PDA.

I'm planning to upgrade to an IPAQ and wish to continue writing applications - what do I need?

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.... :confused:

T'bug

gas path
4th May 2003, 18:57
Thunderbug
I own an even humbler Psion 3c and have writen a couple of programs, and I'm in the the same 'boat'.
I don't know whether to go for a Palm or IPAQ.
The only software I can find is Appforge (http://www.appforge.com/) BUT at $900:eek:
Unless of course anybody knows of any freebies?

There is a 30 day trial available, but it would take me that long to get used to it.!

Evo
5th May 2003, 15:51
What language? I've written assorted bits of Java (J2ME) code for the iPAQ and know people who code C, although that isn't my thing.

Thunderbug
5th May 2003, 16:23
Correct me if I'm wrong....

The OS for IPAQ is Pocket PC, produced by that Mr Gates. So what Microsoft software / language is used to write applications?

What about Visual Basic? or does that only work for grown up computers!:confused:

Evo
5th May 2003, 20:29
You don't have to use Microsoft software or languages to write iPAQ applications - and if you want to then you aren't limited to a single language. There isn't a compiler shipped with PocketPC. You develop on a Windows or Linux box and deploy to the iPAQ.

There are assorted libraries on PocketPC which you can call to do windowing etc., in the same way as there are for Windows. Applications using these will look like the standard PocketPC applications. However, you dont have to use these. All you need is either a compiler that can compile to StrongARM code (MS do them, so do other people. The 'C' people I know use Metrowerk's CodeWarrior) or an appropriate runtime for an interpreted language like Java or C#. Personally I use OTI's j9 Java runtime, 'cos I know java. Works fine for me.

Maybe a place to start looking is here (http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/developer/default.asp) and especially PocketPC 2000/2002 (as applicable) Software Developers Toolkits.