PDA

View Full Version : JOB PROSPECTS

Flyerphil
31st Aug 2001, 13:55
I am not being too ambitious here.

I am going to get my JAR-FCL in the states and I intend to come back to the UK.

If I get in with a smaller carrier straight away then I will (after reading these forums) be a very lucky chappie but that is not my initial concern.

I would enjoy speniding some time as a Flight Instructor in order to build my hours up towards ATPL but I am concerned that there may not be a position when I get back.

Bottom Line, in all your experience is it easy to get a job as an instructor with a school as the prospect of unemployment after spending £50k does not excite me too much.

I should be - as there must be a very high turnover of staff as existing instructors go on to bigger and better things.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yours

Phil

Lukeskywalker
1st Sep 2001, 19:02
That's a difficult one to answer . Some people are getting jet jobs with 200Hrs but a lot aren't . One thing that is for certain a lot of airline application forms ask how many hours in the last few months or so . The recent BA Citiexpress advert wanted CAP 509ers but stipulated 50Hrs in the previous 12 months . 1 hour a week that's an awful lot and expense if you pay for it yourself . 50Hrs at £80 ph = £4000 , nearly an FI rating . Bottom line is what do you want to do fly for a living or work in Mickey D's . hope this is helpful . Over to you.

HARRY GREYHOUND
2nd Sep 2001, 14:09
flyerphil my advice to anyone contemplating shelling out lots of money on a flying career is make sure you have the ability to get through the endless psychometric tests which nearly all airlines seem to use nowadays.i have 1600 hrs b737 and have been out of work for nearly 3 months.have been to 3 assessment days in this time and have failed to get through each one.hours and experience in my case do not seem to count for anything as 509'ers with 200 hrs have made it through and got jet jobs.basically it seems the airlines are more interested in the right person and not experience.hope this helps best of luck.

Flyerphil
3rd Sep 2001, 12:32
Thanks for your input - but my main concern is that I will be able to pay the mortgage when I finish - I am giving up a partnership in a Surveying Practice for this.

Are there Flying Instructor jobs out there??

Thanks

Phil